The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Happy Sonar 6 PE users. What's your rig??? Audio Interfaces
Old 16th January 2007
Lives for gear

Happy Sonar 6 PE users. What's your rig???

I use a dual core AMD 4300 with a 64 bit windows setup.

My interface is the MOTU 24 I/O.

I'm having no luck. Lots of bugs to deal with.

If you are happy with yours, how is it setup?

How much Latency?
44.1, 48, 96?
Buffers in Sonar/soundcard?
What soundcard?
32 bit windows, 64 bit?
32 bit audio engine or 64?
which drivers ASIO, WDM?

etc etc. Anything you can think of to describe your basic setup.

Thanks.
Old 17th January 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by filthyrich View Post

I'm having no luck. Lots of bugs to deal with.

How much Latency?
44.1, 48, 96?
What soundcard?
32 bit windows, 64 bit?
which drivers ASIO, WDM?

etc etc. Anything you can think of to describe your basic setup.

Thanks.
Hey, sorry to hear you're having so much trouble.

I'll answer your questions in order for my main DAW, and not my remote laptop (which is a less powerful beast), both of which use my RME FF800 as their primary audio interface.

Latency: All my SONAR projects are recorded/edited/mixed/"mastered" at 96K 24-bit, so I'm sure my settings could be much lower if I ran 44.1K and 24-bit. See the following thread at the SONAR forum to get the skinny on my setup and the kind of performance I'm getting:
http://forum.cakewalk.com/fb.asp?m=902096

SONAR buffers: I have my SONAR buffers set to 512, due to the added stability necessary for the huge audio files I work with. RME buffers are set at 256 samples most of the time, but sometimes I set them to 512 for mixing sessions on big projects, just to be safe.

Soundcard: RME Fireface 800 (2.58 ASIO drivers, 2.47 firmware)

OS/SONAR: 64-bit Windows running 32-bit SONAR.

64-bit audio engine enabled

Multiprocessor engine enabled

Please feel free to ask me any specific questions you may have regarding my rig!

-mr moon
Old 17th January 2007
Lives for gear

well i am using a motu2408mkII with a pci 324
on a pentium 4 ht 2.8 prescott 2GB dual channel setup (soon to change) sata and ultra ata drives...
i set my motu buffers to 128, use wdm, and set the latency to 2,7ms (when mixing i move the slider to 40ms latency for more cpu usage)
64-bit audio enabled
multi-processor support : enabled

drivers :latest motu drivers
win xp

works like a charm...
Old 17th January 2007
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

Quote:
I'm very happy, and my computer is a pretty old Dell. My current project has about 50 tracks with MANY dozens of plug-ins and it all works great. Specs as you requested:

Dell 2.24 GHz with 1 GB of RAM
Windows XP, 32 bits, no service packs, but highly optimized
M-Audio Delta 66 sound card
SoundBlaster Live piece of crap for editing SoundFonts
WDM drivers for both sound cards
Delta 66 buffers size is 64 samples (smallest / fastest)
2 buffers in Sonar

For most projects I keep the latency slider around 5 to 10 milliseconds, but for this huge one I'm doing now I increased it up to just past 60 ms just because I have so many plug-ins and soft-synths etc. Then again, the other day I wanted to add a small keyboard part so I slid it back to under 15 ms. It still was fine, though then the CPU indicator hovered around 80% instead of 50% where it usually is with this project at 60 ms.

--Ethan
Old 18th January 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:

Are you running the new MOTU drivers? These are for the 64 bit setup, and are on the MOTU site right now, and they are fairly new.
Old 18th January 2007
Gear Maniac

I'm running a 2.5 year old, P4 2.4Gig XP Pro rig, with 2Gig of ram.

Quote:
How much Latency?
Depends on what I'm doing, but when tracking, I can easily keep in the 5ms or less range which is plenty low for monitoring. Latency is dictated by the sample rate and the buffer size set on your card.

Quote:
44.1, 48, 96?
48K 24Bit mostly but I do work some 44.1 and 96K projects, always 24bit.

Quote:
Sonar Audio I/O buffer 1024KB Read & Write cache not selected -- MOTU buffer, depends on what the CPU load is and what I'm doing. Tracking = lower buffer size for low latency. Mixing = larger buffer size because CPU load is high and no need for low latency. One caution is that the use of "Safe" on the larger buffer end of the scale is misleading. If the load on the CPU is too low in these systems, including one such as yours, you will have problems. The key is to find the middle ground where it works best with what you're doing.

Quote:
What soundcard?
PCI424 MOTU 2408MK3, and an M-Audio DIO2496

Quote:
32 bit windows, 64 bit?
32Bit

Quote:
32Bit

Quote:
which drivers ASIO, WDM?
ASIO for all.

Let's see, what else?...

Assuming you're not slaving to something external, MOTU clock set to internal.
Unless you're chasing MIDI, Sonar "Project" clock source set to Audio.

If you've upgraded to Sonar6 from 5,4,3..., on the same machine, and imported your config. from the previous version, that can lead to trouble. When I upgraded to 5, my rig would just stop dead during tracking for no reason, and it was the config. file. It's a simple fix, you just delete the AUD config. file in your Sonar6 directory, and when you restart Sonar it will replace it with a fresh new one.... You will have to reset your basic Sonar settings as it will go to the factory preset state, so if you wont remember everything, write it down.

There really are so many things in Sonar to look at. If you haven't been there, I recommend Scott Garrigus' site http://www.digifreq.com/digifreq/ I remember him having an article quite a while ago about optimizing your PC and OS for working with a DAW. It would be in his articles section from some years ago, but still helpful.

I know it can take days and weeks to get a system tweaked to where you're super happy with it. When adding or upgrading I still have to go in and tweak things. Don't get to bummed, just keep working at it and it'll come together.

Sonar and MOTU work very well together once you get it happenin'...
Old 18th January 2007
Lives for gear

Yeah. My most recent issue is that I've got it working ok with ASIO, but now I only have 1, 3, 5, 7, 9 inputs available. It's every other one. So F-In wierd.

I'll have to try new driver installs for AMD, MOTU and maybe Sonar. It's working well though, with only 3-10% cpu usage on each of the 2 on the dual AMD.

That wouldn't work if I needed to do drums though. I'll keep tring.

Would running 32 bit Sonar in 64 Bit windows make sense?

Would it still make good use of the dual core stuff?
Old 18th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yeah. My most recent issue is that I've got it working ok with ASIO, but now I only have 1, 3, 5, 7, 9 inputs available. It's every other one. So F-In wierd.

I'll have to try new driver installs for AMD, MOTU and maybe Sonar. It's working well though, with only 3-10% cpu usage on each of the 2 on the dual AMD.

That wouldn't work if I needed to do drums though. I'll keep tring.

Would running 32 bit Sonar in 64 Bit windows make sense?

Would it still make good use of the dual core stuff?
i don't think running 32bit sonar in 64bit window is a good idea...

that problem you've mentioned is most likely is a driver issue, reinstalling the driver might help...
i also normally disable all other audio cards and even modem audio in my daw computers...
Old 18th January 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
In Sonar, it lists your inputs as 1 Left, 1 Right, 1 Stereo,??? If so, everything is working correctly. "1Left" is your "1" input, "1Right" is your "2" input, and "1Stereo" is your 1&2 input... and so on down the line. Hope this is what you are seeing.
Old 18th January 2007
Lives for gear

Me too. I won't know until I get home from my crappy 9-5 job.
My old Layla had 1L, 2R and 1 and 2 Stereo. Hopefully I just glanced at it wrong. I was using ASIO drivers before though; and I thought it showed 1, 2,3,4 etc etc. I don't remember.

I suck at life.

Thanks again for all of your help,
Rich
Old 18th January 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Me too. I won't know until I get home from my crappy 9-5 job.
Let us know how you make out...
Old 19th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Let us know how you make out...
I still have a crappy 9-5 job.

I kid. It was, in fact, L1 and R1 the way it was said. Thanks.

I did not experience any dropouts during bass and guitar overdubs. I'm still getting 5.9ms latency and that is just fine with me. I'm not going to touch anything until something breaks again.

Now I get to record vocals. That's all me. Once I get a chance to mix, I'll post a clip of our stuff for all of your critical ears to tear apart.

I might even do 2 mixes. One ITB and one on my Tascam M2600. This stuff is pretty fun when my ****e works.
Old 20th January 2007
Gear Maniac

Hey, I'm happy for you. I told you that all it takes is some tweaking and you can get it happening.
Old 22nd January 2007
Gear Addict

hey 6.2 coming next week
Old 22nd January 2007
Gear Maniac

SONAR 6 PE
Athlon x2 4600 on an MSI board
2G ram
Win XP Home (32 bit, of course)
Emu 1820M

Rock solid.

ETA: I wouldn't touch 64bit windows yet. Still not ready for prime time wrt to drivers and stability.
Old 30th January 2007
Gear Addict

6.2 is here
Old 30th January 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by trident fan View Post
6.2 is here
Ah, Cake once again redefines broken.
Old 30th January 2007
Gear Addict

i've been using Cake for years, no problems here ya cubase troll heh
Old 30th January 2007
Lives for gear

Talking

i find it great that sonar updates its software periodically... and they also listen to their users... how cool's that? i am going to download the update now... thanks for the tip..

btw, it was just fine before any update, i wonder what they added or fixed...
Old 31st January 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by taturana View Post
i find it great that sonar updates its software periodically... and they also listen to their users... how cool's that? i am going to download the update now... thanks for the tip..

btw, it was just fine before any update, i wonder what they added or fixed...
I'm having loads of fun with the new X-Ray function.

It also seems to have fixed some obscure bugs. I had an old project that wouldn't play in either Sonar 5 or 6.0/6.01. I just assumed the session was corrupt and left it as it was. Out of curiosity I loaded up in 6.2 and it it played! I wasn't expecting that at all and my mouse was allready hovering towars the close project button when low and behold, sound eminated from my speakers! Hurray hurray! heh

Alistair
Old 29th August 2007
Gear Head

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search