The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Cakewalk SONAR 6 Producer E. (heavy on INTEL promotion)
Old 1st January 2007
Lives for gear

Cakewalk SONAR 6 Producer E. (heavy on INTEL promotion)

Man, the PDF file talks about intel on every page.

HUGE INTEL PUSH.......and its 64 bit floating point that apparently takes the mixing SUMMING to a new level, or so it says.

Check it out....on RIGHT side of each page, INTEL, INTEL, INTEL.

Last page it mentions AMD64 chips.

Its really a DIG at DIGI, they are both in Boston.

Speaking of which, anyone every see MAGIX? It looks just like LOGIC. Weird.

Here is the SONAR LINK to PDF.

http://cakewalk.com/images/SONAR6/SONAR6_brochure.pdf
Old 1st January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by composer View Post
Man, the PDF file talks about intel on every page.

HUGE INTEL PUSH.......and its 64 bit floating point that apparently takes the mixing SUMMING to a new level, or so it says.

Check it out....on RIGHT side of each page, INTEL, INTEL, INTEL.

Last page it mentions AMD64 chips.

Its really a DIG at DIGI, they are both in Boston.

Speaking of which, anyone every see MAGIX? It looks just like LOGIC. Weird.

Here is the SONAR LINK to PDF.

http://cakewalk.com/images/SONAR6/SONAR6_brochure.pdf
I mention the Dig at Digi as this is what they use for comparison as the other DAWS have similar parts, although I am curious as to how well the drummer works, heard it is supposed to be pretty good, and for $499, not a bad deal, just doesn't have the so called name recognition as Steinberg, Logic, and of course is PC only.

The DP drumming is a joke, imho.
Old 1st January 2007
That's interesting... the Intel thing, I mean. I don't recall seeing that kind of thing before in their marketing materials. But, then, already being a Sonar user, I don't usually pay much attention to their brochures and the like.

I suspect that this may be more than simply co-promotion, though.

Not quite 3 years ago, I bought a Pentium M laptop (Centrino set -- essentially the first generation of the family that includes the Core 2 Duo). I was then using a Sonar 2 which was pushing two years old. With S2, the fan on my laptop kicked into high after about 1/2 minute of roll, with even a modest project open.

After I switched up to Sonar 4 and shortly after, Sonar 5, the CPU meter stayed a lot lower and the fan only came on when really pushed by (what for me was) a bunch of plugs and VIs.

Same hardware, obviously, but the later Sonar version seemed clearly to have been designed to take advantage of efficiency or DSP features in the PM chip.

So, from that perspective, there may well be more than hype here...

PS... I'd sure like to kick every marketer who uses a variant on "take it to the next level" square in the seat of the pants... take THIS to the next level, Mr Copywriter: fuuck

heh heh heh
Old 1st January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1 View Post
That's interesting... the Intel thing, I mean. I don't recall seeing that kind of thing before in their marketing materials. But, then, already being a Sonar user, I don't usually pay much attention to their brochures and the like.

I suspect that this may be more than simply co-promotion, though.

Not quite 3 years ago, I bought a Pentium M laptop (Centrino set -- essentially the first generation of the family that includes the Core 2 Duo). I was then using a Sonar 2 which was pushing two years old. With S2, the fan on my laptop kicked into high after about 1/2 minute of roll, with even a modest project open.

After I switched up to Sonar 4 and shortly after, Sonar 5, the CPU meter stayed a lot lower and the fan only came on when really pushed by (what for me was) a bunch of plugs and VIs.

Same hardware, obviously, but the later Sonar version seemed clearly to have been designed to take advantage of efficiency or DSP features in the PM chip.

So, from that perspective, there may well be more than hype here...

PS... I'd sure like to kick every marketer who uses a variant on "take it to the next level" square in the seat of the pants... take THIS to the next level, Mr Copywriter: fuuck

heh heh heh
Yeah, I know what you mean - - I've never seen heavy intel promotion like this ever.

They also stress about the 64 bit OS and large amounts of DDR. Something I think LE will lack unless NAMM 07 proves otherwise.
Old 1st January 2007
Gear Addict

Yeah, the marketing angle on this is pretty cheesy. Forget the Intel tie-in, just tell us what the DAW does

I'm very anxious to try out the pseudo-Beat Detective editing that Sonar 6 has though. I've been using Sonar since version 2, and they've made great strides in making it a viable platform. An equivalent of Beat Detective is one of the last major things that I've been missing.
Old 1st January 2007
Quote:
• The Power of Native Processing
With Intel’s breakthroughs in processor
technology, you can patch multiple
effects, perform with multiple virtual
instruments, and record on multiple
tracks simultaneously—without the
need for additional DSP. SONAR 6 can
do it all without breaking a sweat.

• Floating point performance
Audio mixing and DSP in SONAR is done
using both 32-bit and 64-bit floating
point arithmetic and is highly optimized
for maximum performance and sound
quality. With their outstanding floating
point performance, Intel processors
allow SONAR to mix hundreds or even
thousands of audio streams in real-time
with no loss of sonic fidelity.

• A feature of the Intel Core™2 Duo
processor that enables enhanced
performance on multi-media and
loating point intensive applications
such as digital music.

• 2X Streaming Media (SSE2 & SSE3)
Compute Throughput (128 Bits every
single clock cycle vs. 64 in previous
processors). It provides improved
bandwidth, additional instructions,
and improved instruction execution
per clock cycle.
You have to pay extra to get that kind of breathless copywriting... or use English majors as marketing interns. heh

Sounds like CW put some effort into exploiting the Core 2 Duo chip features and wants to make sure they get some marketing amortization out of the effort...

But I've been saying since not long after I got my Pentium M laptop not quite 3 years ago that that family of chips would make a great audio machine because of its efficiency and it looks like -- between the Apple machines and Core 2 Duo PCs -- that's coming to pass.
Old 1st January 2007
Lives for gear

well, after i started using sonar with an intel chip and mboard, i had never had windows working so well, sonar as well... practically no crashes, and sometimes the computer stays on for days...

no wonder they call this platform wintel...

so maybe it's more than hype... on my next computer i'll keep the intel-intel thing... it works... for me at least... and that's what i recommend to any friend who's building a computer to run sonar in... that and good quality, silent, cooling fans...
Old 1st January 2007
Gear Addict

Eh, I'm not sold on the "Intel is the best for Sonar" idea. I upgraded from a P4 to a dual Opteron rig a year or so ago, and the performance and stability greatly increased. It's all about buying quality components.
Old 1st January 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSVice View Post
Eh, I'm not sold on the "Intel is the best for Sonar" idea. I upgraded from a P4 to a dual Opteron rig a year or so ago, and the performance and stability greatly increased. It's all about buying quality components.
I must agree. Although I am very happy with my Intel rig.

There is a video on Microsofts website that shows off 64bit computing using Sonar 5 running on Windows XP x64 with a dual core Intel. Kinda cool vid.

link-http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/6...s/default.mspx

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search