The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Sonar X3
Old 30th September 2013
Lives for gear

Here's a cool deal from Musician's Friend...you can get Addictive Keys for $29.99 limited time only so hurry.
Old 30th September 2013
Gear Guru

@ ionian : Those 2 futurs are used in my process (like a lot of guyz) during the mixing stage ...and guess what ...i mainly use the console view with teh up of the time grid (showing markers) under that ....so that's why i never been enoyed like you do ....

So basically you gonna trach a crazy sequencer because of one decision that you don't validate ? i do prefer the old Send layout and i 'm lobbying to get the fx slots ala PT ....its not the case now ...but i ain't tripping ..

But i fully understand you , specailly when we can personnalize the module slayoout on the track view ....no sens to take of somehing to simplify the dispaly while we can do it by options ...
Old 4th October 2013
Here for the gear

Where's the demo version?

I would like to try Sonar X3, but can't find the demo download - did I miss something or is there no demo available?
Old 4th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Snapper View Post
I would like to try Sonar X3, but can't find the demo download - did I miss something or is there no demo available?
Not out yet.
Old 4th October 2013
Here for the gear

Hopefully soon. The X3 GUI sure looks good
Old 4th October 2013
Lives for gear
It is out and folks on the DigiFreq forum are using it, already. Unless I misunderstand that you meant the demo version, which I haven't paid attention to. Ignore if I got that wrong.
Michael
Old 4th October 2013
Lives for gear

I don't think the X3 demo version is out yet.
Old 4th October 2013
Lives for gear
Thanks. I don't drink coffee anymore and maybe should have this am!
Old 4th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionian View Post
Every major version is a step backwards in terms of workflow. Sonar was a step down from Pro Audio and the X series is a step down from Sonar.

...but there are those of us who go back far enough to remember when the program was geared towards professionals who had deadlines to meet and needed workflows that helped, rather than hindered meeting those deadlines.

It's frustrating and sad to see the program in its current pathetic state remembering how great it once was...
Exaggerate much?

Yeah, I wasn't a fan of the new X series when it 1st came out, either. But, it's definitely a far step above that now. No, it's not perfect, but what is? It is better than 8.5 now. If you suck it up, and get in there and learn it, instead of whine about how it's not as good as Pro Audio was (we all know that's BS), you might find a better experience.

But it sounds like you need to just break out an old PC, and fire up Pro Audio, and you'll have your baby back.

Old 4th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by javahut View Post
Exaggerate much?

Yeah, I wasn't a fan of the new X series when it 1st came out, either. But, it's definitely a far step above that now. No, it's not perfect, but what is? It is better than 8.5 now. If you suck it up, and get in there and learn it, instead of whine about how it's not as good as Pro Audio was (we all know that's BS), you might find a better experience.

But it sounds like you need to just break out an old PC, and fire up Pro Audo, and you'll have your baby back.

downtempo.dub.psychedelic.twang
Get some deadlines, then we'll talk.
Old 4th October 2013
Lives for gear

I need to say that I also have become somewhat shy about upgrading to X3, I currently own X-2 Producer and previously owned X-1 Producer Expanded. The reason I have become shy about upgrading is two reasons:

1) I hadn't fully learned X-1 before X-2 came out. I also see the problems that are with X-3 upon release. This is normal for most software this size. I will wait till a future update when most of the bugs are fixed. I now have the SWA Complete Sonar X-2 Video tutorials for X-2 and also recently purchased the "Sonar X2 Power ! The Comprehensive Guide" by Scott R. Garrigus. I am trying to spend as much time as I can to learn everything there is to learn about Sonar X-2. What I found is that trying to run a software program like Sonar without fully knowing how to operate it is extremely frustrating. To the point sometimes of just about losing it. Not uncommon to just yell out in frustration. However, as I learn this program, things become much easier and the workflow goes faster. Craig Anderton makes some very good comments in an interview (the link is below) which is well worth the time to look at. One point he makes is that you need to know the DAW so well that everything is literally second nature. I fully agree. I'm not there yet, but I am working on it and progressing. Having to go hunt for a video or scan through manuals to find out how to work something will kill you creativity and workflow.

2) You need to have gear that is compatible with your software. Trying use a entry level computer or use cheap devices that no one has heard of is not going to work. Trying to MAKE something work that is marginal is just asking for problems. Also, sometimes a name brand may make a device that simply is not compatible with your setup. If it is not compatible, get rid of it and get something that will work. Cheap free software may be free, but may not work well with your DAW.

At this point in my journey I have had to make some hard choices. 1) To learn Sonar inside and out. I am working on learning almost every night now whether it is videos or manuals. 2) I made a choice to buy very good gear so things work properly, but at one time I did not. I am not at the point where everything is second nature, but I will get there. I do know that in order to get to where I want to be, I need to lay the groundwork first by learning this software inside/out

Here is a link to the interview. I thought it was very insightful. Craig at one point talks about writing manuals for DAW's and that one manual written was about a fourth less pages than another. The reason for that was one DAW was setup much better for workflow and required less steps to accomplish the same task. In the time bar it is around 3:45.

Sweetwater Minute - Vol. 100, Craig Anderton Interview pt. 2 of 2 - YouTube
Old 29th October 2013
Sonar X3

I love progress. I love new tools. I like new technology and 8.53 was the worst bit of crap inflicted on mankind. Great if you were willing to memorize the nonsensical way to get work done.

X1, X2, X3 all great except X1 was a beta.
Old 29th October 2013
Lives for gear

X3 is the best so far... i've used this stuff since cakewalk for dos.
take editing is still a bit strange, but i'll get used to it..
the prochannel zoom view eq alone is worth the upgrade.
tape saturation is awesome, one of the best i have ever tried
that's the second emulation i really liked where they went into uad territory, cleaner than the waves emulations..the other one is the CA-2a which is used is used all the time in my mixes... though sometimes the CLA versions sound punchier.
Old 30th October 2013
Here for the gear

X3 Upgrade - On the Fence

Being a programmer I generally use Windows PCs in my career. This is why I started using Cakewalk many years ago. Maybe it's just me, but having had the 'Producer' edition since 6.0, I don't see a lot of compelling virtues in this upgrade nor the last, which is a rare for me with this product. $149.00? I can skip this and get the next version X4 for $199.00, which will include all of this and more anyway, and pocket the $100.00 for another plugin like V-Comp.

I have some serious reservations regarding the direction of this product. But mainly, why does it always have to be new stuff, instead of beefing up the current offerings, such as:

I'm 64-bit - if I install the 64 bit version of Sonar I expect ALL of it to work in 64 bit; and that includes the FX plugins. Where's the 64 bit version of Perfect Space and all the others?

New Drum Library? Why not expand upon the Session Drummer which is already included? Add new samples or new kits, midi grooves and fills etc.

A new Fender Rhodes? Who doesn't already have ten of them, and all better than the Tassman offering?

A new Strum library? I'm sorry - not even close. Listen to Vir2 Acoustic Guitars for an example of what a guitar sample library is supposed to sound like.

10 editions and counting of a sound module (TTS-1) that still sounds the same as the day it came out? It should be Garritan sounding by now. Finale and Sibelius include the library so what's the problem?

The score part of the program hasn't changed since version 2. Notation is really the only way to share musical ideas. Why there is such an aversion to improving this aspect of the program is anyone's guess.

The CAL programming capabilities (still limited to notes - no automation or plugin bindings) and contemptible lack of documentation for it have not changed since version 2 of the program either.

No way to copy only automation on a track, so it can copied or repeated to save you from the labor of having to do it ad inifinitum on a large score?

SFZ synths (i.e. Dimension Pro). They're kidding right? Where's the sampler? Where are they 'professional' sounding synths like Arturias offerings? Where are the historical instruments?

Read the forum posts from anywhere on the net going back a decade with regard to the demonstrative lack of Hardware Controller support ( Mackie, Behringer, Avid etc.) in Cakewalk\Sonar. The best that can be said is that it is demonstrably absent.

This $ 149.00 could easily be put towards Cubase or Samplitude, who have both addressed all of these major deficiencies with panache. And there are far more deficiencies with Sonar than this small 3 minute list of mine would suggest. No, I think I’ll wait.
Old 31st October 2013
Lives for gear

That's funny, Sonar X3 is working out perfectly for me. Almost $1,000 worth of plug-ins if bought seperately. To each his own.
Old 31st October 2013
Lives for gear

I and several others are having problems with Sonar X3b 64 bit version and Windows 8.1. I have an open thread on the Sonar forum about this. I have X3b installed on a Windows 8 system and it was working. After 8.1 upgrade I now get an error about it can't access a file (that is where it should be in Windows) - MSVCR110.DLL and to reinstall Sonar. I have another separate PC with Sonar X2 on it and the 8.1 upgrade and it has the exact same problem.

On the X3b system, if I try to reinstall (or even do a clean install) of X3 I get an error "OCXRegsvr32" and can't install.

Being a computer tech (and dangerous) I've tried many things and can't get it going.

The 32 bit version of Sonar X3a (and b patch) installs and works without problems on Windows 8.1

Another person, on the Sonar forum, has reported the exact same problem and sent a tech support request over a week ago but has not heard from Sonar support. I originally opened a program bug with Sonar (CWBRN-20980) but it was immediately closed as a "user problem" and told me to open the tech support request. I sent a tech support problem report on Monday and have not had any response from them.

On another web site it was noted that the upcoming X3c update (due late October) would address Windows 8.1 issues. It is "late October" but no update as of yet.

I'm not in a real bind with Sonar as Windows 7 is my production system and its working OK in Windows 7.
Old 31st October 2013
Lives for gear

I too am running my X3 on Windows 7 with no problems.
Old 31st October 2013
Gear Head
Just last night I was expounding on how I miss Sonar--I've been on Logic for about six years now, but my workflow was best on Sonar. Cakewalk just doesn't have the "reputation" that Logic/PT has...although I've seen it used in two pro studios. It's a tough line to negotiate...workflow vs wanting to feel like a big shot. I want to feel like a big shot, and also to complain about mismanagement of multicore distributed processing.
Old 1st November 2013
Lives for gear

Update. The X3c patch did not fix my problem. It was reported that X3c would address Windows 8.1 but there is nothing in the list of fixes/enhancements about Windows 8.1. Obviously if 8.1 was supposed to be addressed it didn't make it into the "c" patches. I see a post where they are working on a "d" patch. Maybe that will fix it.

My backup system is a dual boot Win 7/Win 8.1. I'm going to install Sonar in Win 7 on that system so I'll have a "working" backup, if it is ever needed, until Sonar can get their act together and fully support Windows 8.1.
Old 1st November 2013
Lives for gear
Thanks for the update firebird.
I am going to buy X3 (today, if I get a chance) and since I want Melodyne Editor2, it really seems worth doing it - actually quite a deal!
For the price of Melodyne, I'll get all that comes with X3PE and the new features. I intend to "aim" for Windows 8+ and touch, but that can wait, a bit, so I appreciate your info and share your opinion. Win7 is working, so I'll finish the projects I've got going and expect "all shall be well", shortly.

Michael
Old 1st November 2013
Lives for gear

You couldn't pay me to install Windows 8 or 8.1 on my computer. I'm sticking with Windows 7 for years.
Old 1st November 2013
Lives for gear

FIXED! I finally found the fix for Sonar and Windows 8.1.

I saw a thread on the Windows 7 forum of Photoshop users (many) with the exact same "MSVCR110.DLL" problem and Photoshop not starting. See the fix bellow. I had tried this or something similar before but what I found must have been an older VB update. I installed the update and now Sonar X3c 64 bit works in Windows 8.1.

I don't use 8.1 with Sonar, Windows 7 is my "production" system, but the 8.1 system is a backup system so it needs to be working in case the Win 7 system were to develop a problem.

Quote:
GOTO:
Download Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2012 Update 3 from Official Microsoft Download Center

I updated with the "VSU3\vcredist_x64.exe" file.
Shut down / Restart / CS6 loaded with the Nik plugin intact and no errors.

MSVCP110.dll is now in my C:\Windows\System32 folder.
📝 Reply