The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
sonar 5 and midi ..ugh
Old 20th June 2020
Gear Head

sonar 5 and midi ..ugh

I have a friends project Im trying to mix. Its in sonar 5 producer. The issue is midi. Now I hate midi, lol. Very little experience. I can open a demo project from sonar that comes with software and play it fine.

The midi outputs it uses are "cakewalk TTS-1 1" ,and playback fine. But when I open my friends project, probably created with a much older sonar version, I do not see the same midi output, and there is no sound from the midi tracks. Regular audio tracks are fine however.

This computer uses the hammerfall adat soundcard, out to apogee mini dac. So I'm using asio drivers. Wondering if I need to have a midi controller connected in and out through the hammerfall midi connections?

Any clues what I am doing incorrectly?
Windows 7, sonar 5 32 bit presently

Thanks
Old 20th June 2020
Here for the gear

Your friend's project is older than Sonar 5 (approx 2006)???

If it works when you load up a sample project, but not when you load your friend's midi, I would suspect it is a routing problem within the DAW, not the soundcard or other output gear.

What synth is the midi supposed to be triggering in your friend's project, and do you have that synth available in Sonar 5? Does the midi you imported from your friend trigger any of the synths that you do have?

It's been a long time since I've seen Sonar 5, but you should have two tracks for the synth track: (A) an instrument track, associated with a soft synth on your system, which shows up in your synth rack, and (B) a midi track, which holds your midi info.

On the I/O tab for (A), the input should be the soft synth and the output should be to a bus or your master out. On the I/O tab for (B) the input should be Omni (or your midi controller if you prefer) and the output should be to the soft synth. See if that's the case.

Another way to try this is pretend you are creating a new midi track with a soft synth, and load up TTS-1 (or whatever synth you are hoping to use). Make sure when you do this that the boxes are checked for Midi Source and First Synth Audio Output (assuming you aren't using multiple outputs). The words in your boxes may be slightly different, as they have changed at various times over the 8+ full versions that have been released since Sonar 5. When you do that, you should get the appropriate instrument track (A) and midi track (B) automatically. Then just move your friend's midi down to the midi track created when you loaded up this soft synth and see if it plays.
📝 Reply