The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Sonar not for sale anymore. How to get it?
Old 30th December 2019
Gear Head

Sonar not for sale anymore. How to get it?

I was going to buy Cakewalk Sonar today (Artist version) in order to open some old projects I made in an older version of Sonar about 10 years ago.

The Sonar site is up, but if you press "Buy Now" you get a message saying that the program is no longer for sale.

Now I'm kind of panicking, because I need to open these old Sonar projects asap.

This is exactly what i hate about software. Some time passes and what you thought was a decent archive/backup scheme is dead in the water. Is piracy the only way now?

This also happened to me with a program called Orion by Synapse Audio. I want to buy it but there is absolutely no way to procure it legally any more. Take my money you idiots!
Old 30th December 2019
Gear Nut
When Cakewalk went under, Bandlab picked up the intellectual property, and is releasing new versions under the Bandlab name. Best news is that it is totally free. You get the Pro version for absolutely nothing.

https://www.bandlab.com/products/cakewalk
Old 30th December 2019
Gear Head

Wow! Thanks for the reply. I saw this but thought it was a completely different program. Do you know if it's backwards compatible with Sonar and includes all the Sonitus plugs and stuff like the TTS-1 synth etc.?
Old 30th December 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by FixMy106 View Post
Wow! Thanks for the reply. I saw this but thought it was a completely different program. Do you know if it's backwards compatible with Sonar and includes all the Sonitus plugs and stuff like the TTS-1 synth etc.?
It includes the plugins they could offer for free (no royalties), so not 100%.

AFAIK, the software itself is backwards compatible.

Bandlab is a good company, and they brought in some of the folks from Cakewalk to continue working on and improving what used to be Sonar.

Pete
Old 30th December 2019
Gear Nut
Quote:
It is backwards compatible. The new Bandlab version will open all of your old projects.
Old 30th December 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Cakewalk/Bandlab will play your old Sonar files. Some Bandlab/Sonar users are having trouble playing the TTS-1 synth in Bandlab. Just so you know TTS is not supported by Bandlab.

That said all my old Sonar projects that use TTS will still open and play as expected. Moreover, I've been able to insert TTS into new Bandlab projects, but many users can't make it work. Not sure why that is but I have reported all my knowledge of the subject out on the forum. Formal support isn't helping.

Anyway, from my experience Bandlab is working great and you can't beat free for a DAW this good. Welcome to the club!

Old 31st December 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by davet View Post
Cakewalk/Bandlab will play your old Sonar files. Some Bandlab/Sonar users are having trouble playing the TTS-1 synth in Bandlab. Just so you know TTS is not supported by Bandlab.

That said all my old Sonar projects that use TTS will still open and play as expected. Moreover, I've been able to insert TTS into new Bandlab projects, but many users can't make it work. Not sure why that is but I have reported all my knowledge of the subject out on the forum. Formal support isn't helping.

Anyway, from my experience Bandlab is working great and you can't beat free for a DAW this good. Welcome to the club!

Bonus: they also support Windows 10 "WinRT" MIDI (it's an option in one of the config pages) so you will also have BLE MIDI support on any recent version of Windows 10.

Pete
Old 27th February 2020
Here for the gear

Is it me or is BandLab not really interested in promoting Cakewalk?

I mean, given that it's 100% free this is an amazing product.

Yet, go on BandLab.com and try and find Cakewalk? Impossible to find it, had to Google for it specifically.
Old 28th February 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snick View Post
Is it me or is BandLab not really interested in promoting Cakewalk?

I mean, given that it's 100% free this is an amazing product.

Yet, go on BandLab.com and try and find Cakewalk? Impossible to find it, had to Google for it specifically.
Most people looking for Sonar would go to Cakewalk.com . There's a pretty clear announcement on that page telling you where you can find it.

Bandlab.com is the bandlab product, not really a *Bandlab Company* site. They have the same name, though, which can be confusing.

Pete
📝 Reply