The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Compression then riding the fader.
Old 25th September 2006
Gear Head

Compression then riding the fader.

Hey Bruce,

I've read all of your threads on the use of compression on recordings. You are adament about riding the fader and watching the dynamics of the performance.

There's another school of though a la Tom Lord-Alge, where he squashes the living hell out of everything, and then actually automates the entire performance, and mixing in the dynamics. From listening to his recordings, I really don't hear any loss of transients.

Is this basically a subjective thing?

Also, I'm a Berklee MPE student. Would you have time in your schedule to come back and do a mic Master class like you did several years ago. My friend Rachel was there, and could not stop talking about it.

Thanks,
Alex Prieto
Old 25th September 2006
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbatrossAudio View Post
There's another school of though a la Tom Lord-Alge, where he squashes the living hell out of everything, and then actually automates the entire performance, and mixing in the dynamics. From listening to his recordings, I really don't hear any loss of transients.
If I remember correctly, Tom Lord-Alge over-compresses stuff that has been either badly recorded or badly compressed (before it is handed to him for mixing) and then recreates the dynamics by riding the fader; he didn't say anything about doing that specific thing on everything, at least not in the SOS interview I've read multiple times. He definitely loves his compressors, though!

OK, just found the quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lord-Alge
"I often find that I want to uncompress things that are on the tape, when they are over-compressed or compressed in a non-musical way. But I fix that by compressing even more, and then creating new dynamics by using the faders. Automation comes in handy for that."
Here's the link to the full article:

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/apr0...es/tomlord.htm

Regards,

Akis
Old 26th September 2006
Gear Head

Ah I see. I must have misinterpreted that quote.

Bruce, any chance of coming back to Berklee?

Alex
Loading mentioned products ...
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search