The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Driving preamps? 500 Series Preamps
Old 21st September 2006
Gear maniac

Driving preamps?

Hi Bruce...first of all let me say I really respect your past work as well as what you are doing here for us, you are a great man!

My question is this:

You stated that you dislike compression...I really respect this and I agree that everything I ever recorded sounded better without the comps but sometimes I need them for mixing mediocre material.

What about driving preapms? Say an API 512, you can drive these to acheive their own unique compression to tape. I happen to like this effect for certain things...I wondered if you do this ever, or is this just more compression that you steer away from using.

Thanks again for being here Bruce!

Andrew Mowat
Old 22nd September 2006
Viking

I would attribute what you are talking about........

Quote:
Originally Posted by af_analog View Post
Hi Bruce...first of all let me say I really respect your past work as well as what you are doing here for us, you are a great man!

My question is this:

You stated that you dislike compression...I really respect this and I agree that everything I ever recorded sounded better without the comps but sometimes I need them for mixing mediocre material.

What about driving preapms? Say an API 512, you can drive these to acheive their own unique compression to tape. I happen to like this effect for certain things...I wondered if you do this ever, or is this just more compression that you steer away from using.

Thanks again for being here Bruce!

Andrew Mowat
Andrew.....

Driving pre-amps? Hmmmm.... Interesting.

If I want compression or limiting I will plug in a compressor or limiter.

There may have been things that I have used for their over-all sonic quality that are as you describe.... I have never used a mike pre-amp for it's added conpression ability though, I mean not conciously. I would attribute what you are talking about to part of the sound of the device....

I have many API 500 series mike pres-amps with EQ. I love the sound of them.

Bruce Swedien

Mentioned Products
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search