The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Brief introduction and question about church
Old 18th September 2006
Gear addict

Brief introduction and question about church

Hi there folks,

I'm Booshy from the Netherlands. 35 years old - maker of noize some people call music.

Do I know who Bruce is - Yes,.. Does he know me - Yes,... he thinks I'm weird

Hiya Bruce ,I'm glad you're okay,.. missed you on the other side.

I posted this overthere but you were gone :

This might be a weird Booshy question but I was at church today listening to the church organ.

Mozart played this Organ,... here's a link to pics of the church and the organ.

StBavo Church and Organ

http://home.wxs.nl/~marcel.tettero/Bavo.html

Now while I was sitting there I was thinking about the stuff you(Bruce) taught me about miking.

How the hell would you mic a thing like that ??????????
Old 26th September 2006
Viking

The results will be so good you will never be the same...

Quote:
Originally Posted by boosh View Post
Hi there folks,

I'm Booshy from the Netherlands. 35 years old - maker of noize some people call music.

Do I know who Bruce is - Yes,.. Does he know me - Yes,... he thinks I'm weird

Hiya Bruce ,I'm glad you're okay,.. missed you on the other side.

I posted this overthere but you were gone :

This might be a weird Booshy question but I was at church today listening to the church organ.

Mozart played this Organ,... here's a link to pics of the church and the organ.

StBavo Church and Organ

http://home.wxs.nl/~marcel.tettero/Bavo.html

Now while I was sitting there I was thinking about the stuff you(Bruce) taught me about miking.

How the hell would you mic a thing like that ??????????
Booshy-Wooshy.....

The PERFECT choice would be a Blumlein-Pair array of quite closely matched Figure-of -Eight condenser Microphones which will recreate the spatial characteristics of the recorded signal. This system requires excellent mikes to work perfectly... The results will be so good you will never be the same...

Bruce

Old 27th September 2006
Gear interested

Position

Bruce my man,

Where would you place the microphones? High in the air or at the floor? How far away from the organ? Would you just find a sweet spot where your own ears tell you: The sound is right right here? How would you balance direct sound and reflextions?

It is a thrill and a big honor to learn from you. THANKS.

David
Old 27th September 2006
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Swedien View Post
Booshy-Wooshy.....

The PERFECT choice would be a Blumlein-Pair array of quite closely matched Figure-of -Eight condenser Microphones which will recreate the spatial characteristics of the recorded signal. This system requires excellent mikes to work perfectly... The results will be so good you will never be the same...

Bruce

Okay Thanks Bruce ,,... I get that. But wouldn't you want to put mics in certain spots in the Cathedral also to record the room? And blend this with the tracks recorded by the Blumleinpaired mics?
Old 29th September 2006
Viking

When your ears tell you, "This is the PLACE!".....

Quote:
Originally Posted by David F View Post
Bruce my man,

Where would you place the microphones? High in the air or at the floor? How far away from the organ? Would you just find a sweet spot where your own ears tell you: The sound is right right here? How would you balance direct sound and reflextions?

It is a thrill and a big honor to learn from you. THANKS.

David
David....

Here's what I would do to get a good recorded image of the sound of that magnificent organ...

Walk about the Church while the organist plays the music to be recorded. When your ears tell you, "This is the PLACE!" Put the microphones there! Don't calculate, don't measure, don't over-think this elegant project.... LISTEN!!!

Let me know how it works for you....

Bruce Swedien

Loading mentioned products ...
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search