The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Difference between SM7, SM7a, SM7b
Old 18th September 2006
Lives for gear

Difference between SM7, SM7a, SM7b

Bruce --

In another thread you wrote, "I NEVER SAID THAT I LIKE OR WOULD EVEN USE A SHURE SM7B!!!! One of my favorite vocal mikes however IS a Shure SM7!!! There's a big difference...."

What is the big difference? And does this difference apply to an SM7a as well?

Mike Jasper
Old 24th September 2006
Lives for gear

Yes, I too would like to what the difference between these variations of sm7, sm7a, sm7b, etc.

I didn't realize there was such a difference between these mics?

Is it a technical difference and a sound difference and if so, what parts are different and how does it sound different?

-Mark
Old 26th September 2006
Lives for gear

Following up on this myself I was subsequently contacted by a rep at Shure who wrote to me:

"I work for Shure and here is the answer to your questions...

SM7 -> SM7a = improved RF protection

SM7a -> SM7b = larger windscreen included & even further improved RF protection

There is NOT any discernable sound difference between any of the revisions. I've talked to people who swear they can hear it, but it isn't due to the revisions. Listen to any two of the same mic side-by-side and I'm sure you'll hear or think you hear a difference.

This isn't 'Shure biased mumbo jumbo.' I love lots of mics and I'd be the first to say if there was a difference. Shure as a whole doesn't try to hide information or use deceptive marketing tactics. The product is delivered as what it is and the price it is listed at..."
Old 28th September 2006
Lives for gear

I've always heard that sonically they're the same as well.

However, Bruce said there was a "big difference," so I would like to hear from him what that might be.

Jasper
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search