The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Approaching New Record
Old 12th September 2006
Gear Head

Approaching New Record

Hi Bruce,

You have a very balanced and focused attitude about production. I'd guess that a lot of what you do comes from how you approach a project. I'm wondering what your very first steps are when you come on a new project. What's the first thing you ask the artist, or discuss with him/her/them? Do you have a set approach to preparing for tracking, in terms or rehearsal or your preparation, or do you just dive right in? Every session is different of course, but I'd love to hear how you set the more "psychological" stage so that you and the artist can work most creatively.

Thanks,
Old 20th September 2006
Viking

Learn the music!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin View Post
Hi Bruce,

You have a very balanced and focused attitude about production. I'd guess that a lot of what you do comes from how you approach a project. I'm wondering what your very first steps are when you come on a new project. What's the first thing you ask the artist, or discuss with him/her/them? Do you have a set approach to preparing for tracking, in terms or rehearsal or your preparation, or do you just dive right in? Every session is different of course, but I'd love to hear how you set the more "psychological" stage so that you and the artist can work most creatively.

Thanks,
Gavin.....

The first thing that I do is to learn the music!!! In most cases I will even go so far as to make a sheet music transcription, (By myself) of the recording.... Next I will add SMPTE numbers to the recording DAW or whatever... Here's an expample of my part that I made when I was recording and mixing "Billie Jean" It's a terrible scan, Sorry....

Bruce Swedien

Attached Thumbnails
Approaching New Record-billie-jean-bruces-10c2a8.jpg  
Old 20th September 2006
Gear interested

Great tip!

Hi Bruce,

As Gavin asked before, I'd love to know what's your approach towards creating the right atmosphere during a recording session. Just a few questions:

Do you do some research on the artist's background, such as listening to his or hers previous works?

Do you feel the same about recording already known artists and those who are just starting their careers?

Would you share your thoughts with the artist or the producer if you don't agree with their decisions?

Thanks a lot.

Hernan. Buenos Aires, Argentina. rockastle@hotmail.com
Old 21st September 2006
Gear Addict

How cool is this guy...

Thanks Bruce!

SparkyCanada
Old 22nd September 2006
Viking

My sessions are not very democratic!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockastle View Post
Hi Bruce,

As Gavin asked before, I'd love to know what's your approach towards creating the right atmosphere during a recording session. Just a few questions:

Do you do some research on the artist's background, such as listening to his or hers previous works?

Do you feel the same about recording already known artists and those who are just starting their careers?

Would you share your thoughts with the artist or the producer if you don't agree with their decisions?

Thanks a lot.

Hernan. Buenos Aires, Argentina. rockastle@hotmail.com

Herman.....

What's my approach towards creating the right atmosphere during a recording session? That question is impossible to answer in this short-form forum... You would have to come and see my studio to get the answer to that one.

The only other thing to say is that: My sessions are not very democratic!!! We do it my way....

Of course, I always respect the music at hand. If the artist has musical integrity, I will always respect that also...

Bruce Swedien

Old 23rd September 2006
Gear interested

I thought it was just me!

What's my approach towards creating the right atmosphere during a recording session? That question is impossible to answer in this short-form forum... You would have to come and see my studio to get the answer to that one.

The only other thing to say is that: My sessions are not very democratic!!! We do it my way....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I thought it was just me!

First of all, thanks for your invitation to visit your studio. I live in Argentina, and right now I'm knocking my head against the wall for not living in Florida. heh

And I fully agree with you on being the helmsman of the ship (the drakkar in your case). That's why I was asking for your approach towards creating a friendly environment where the artist would feel free enough to express himself. How do you settle ground rules and inspire a good vibe without loosing the balance?

For me, it's harder when you are dealing with a no talented musician who thinks he's a star.

Regards!

Hernan. rockastle@hotmail.com
Mentioned Products
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search