The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
remastering of thriller and off the wall
Old 9th September 2006
Gear interested

Question remastering of thriller and off the wall

hello bruce,
one simple question concerning the re-issues of the "thriller" and "off the wall" albums, what do you think of those new mastering some 20 years after the first masterings to cd. Do you think it reflects more your mixes?

Thank you

Eric
Old 12th September 2006
Viking

When we did the re-issues of "Off-The-Wall" and "Thriller"....

Quote:
Originally Posted by teleric View Post
hello bruce,
one simple question concerning the re-issues of the "thriller" and "off the wall" albums, what do you think of those new mastering some 20 years after the first masterings to cd. Do you think it reflects more your mixes?

Thank you

Eric
Eric....

When we did the re-issues of "Off-The-Wall" and "Thriller" I was present at the mastering sessions with my old pal Bernie Grundman. The re-issue masters were made with my original mixes from the origiinal 1/2" master tapes. I think they sound rather good...

Isn't it amazing how people like to take "POT SHOTS" at Michael, and our music as well???

I do think the re-issue CD's reflect what I had in mind originally with my mixes better than the original releases on 12 inch vinyl....

Bruce Swedien

Old 14th September 2006
Lives for gear

It's wonderful that you were there, not that BG needs supervision. It shows your dedication to keeping the intergrity of your (and many others) work intact. I wish that more cared like you do.

Thanks,
Bill Plummer
Old 22nd September 2006
Gear addict

Is Bruce just a 'big kid'?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Swedien View Post
Eric....

When we did the re-issues of "Off-The-Wall" and "Thriller" I was present at the mastering sessions with my old pal Bernie Grundman. The re-issue masters were made with my original mixes from the origiinal 1/2" master tapes. I think they sound rather good...

Isn't it amazing how people like to take "POT SHOTS" at Michael, and our music as well???

I do think the re-issue CD's reflect what I had in mind originally with my mixes better than the original releases on 12 inch vinyl....

Bruce Swedien

Bruce,
I like how you think differently than the average engineer in a lot of ways. I bet most people here crapped their pants when they read this thread, since they think vinyl is the greatest thing and that CDs are crappy.

In regard to "Thriller", are you referring to the 2001 remastering? I hope so, because that is the one I bought. If so, what did Bernie use to clip the songs and how much clipping was used? ( I should have bought the older CD to compare also). I mean you love to mix the drums hot like me and they still sit above everything, but there is significant clipping even on the drum intro to "Billie Jean". I am curious as to why the clipping is necessary to present your mixes in their best form on CD - I know that elsewhere you speak out against compression. If this is the wrong version, let me know and disregard the above questions.

How was the album transferred to CD the first time? That would be the 1990 version? Are there any other CD versions (not counting SACD, etc.) besides those two?

I thought it would be good to own a reference CD where the engineer that worked on it said it was true to his mixes. Many CDs of older material do not sound much like they were intended to, especially ones made in the earlier days of CDs, and I don't own a good system for playing back vinyl. So I picked this CD up after reading your post. I don't really care for the music too much and still can't figure out why the album was so popular, but your mixes are good.

Thanks.

Skel
Old 24th September 2006
Gear nut

Special Edition Re-Masters

Hi Bruce,

I've been listening to the re-issues and treasuring them in fact.
These are "Volume Maximization" versions .. but man they sound completely remixed to me !!!!! And I L O V E the out takes and interviews.
Brilliant.

Re: Thriller
I just picked up this CD especially for this forum. Previously, I only owned the vinyl LP version and my record player is flat wore out (although I have a 100 year old Victrola that still plays) When we were making "Bad" all of us at Westlake were playing Thriller in some of the other rooms, but other than that .... due to soooooooooooooooooooooooo much radio airplay, I haven't listened to it since 1987.

I was really surprised at how sparse the record really is compared to later work.
Did I hear Quincy correctly that due to the success of "Off The Wall" you only had 4 months to complete the follow up "Thriller"???

I'd ask Q's all day if I could, I'd better just send this much.

Thanks Bruce,

Russ Ragsdale
Nashville
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search