The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
The state of the music industry
Old 5th September 2006
Lives for gear

The state of the music industry

Bruce-
What's advice would you give to budding engineers given the current state of the industry(downloads, cheaper recording mediums and coporate music models. Have you been through a similar period that we are currently in or facing.
Thanks,
Tim
Old 6th September 2006
Viking

Keep that in mind and we can´t go wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TML View Post
Bruce-
What's advice would you give to budding engineers given the current state of the industry(downloads, cheaper recording mediums and coporate music models. Have you been through a similar period that we are currently in or facing.
Thanks,
Tim
Tim.....

Great question..... I wondered when it would come up...

Music Recording In The New Millenium

What’s music recording going to be like in the new millenium? That´s pretty hard to say without a high-resolution, digital, Crystal Ball. I wish I could tell you, with some degree of certainty, what the New Millennium has in store for recorded music. What I can tell you with wholehearted confidence is, that I am not frightened of the future.... Never have been.

I´m excited about the future of digital recording as it applies to music. I think the line of distinction between digital and analogue recording methods when used for music recording is fast beginning to fade. The new Digital Audio Workstations offer not only incredible flexibility but the sound quality has improved tremendously! That´s exciting!

I’ve been around the block a couple of times. I’ve seen our beloved music recording business go through some critical changes. What I find most promising now, is that musicians, bands and composers, have easy access to recording technology that is far better than at any time in the past. I have a strong belief that the music recording business, is going to be put back in the hands of the people that truly love music for music’s sake.

Music has always seemed to be organic in myself. I think it's that way, to some degree, in the soul of every human being. That’s why I’m confident that recorded music in the new millennium will emerge at least as strong and healthy, as in the previous. However, I do think that recorded music will always be a wonderful area to work in, in the future, as long as we keep the melody in focus. The song is the important thing. Keep that in mind and we can´t go wrong.

HOWEVER - Don't expect it to LOOK like it did last year or the year before!!!

Bruce Swedien

Old 7th September 2006
Gear Nut

As another budding engineer, it is great to hear that my thinking is in alignment with someone with as much experience as yourself.
In your opinion, Bruce, where are we in that business transition to music for music's sake as opposed to music for money's sake (which is what I imagine you were implying there will be a transition from)? Is it about to begin, has it just begun or is this the growing pains from 10-15 years ago?

Graham Smith-White

Last edited by jenkel16; 8th September 2006 at 12:48 AM.. Reason: added name
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search