The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Where do use your M149s?
Old 29th August 2006
Lives for gear

Where do use your M149s?

Hey Bruce,

in one of the many articles you had about microphones I read you own a pair of the newer M149 microphones. Where do you find yourself using them mainly?

Thanks!
Old 3rd September 2006
Viking

The M149 will work beautifully on lead vocals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by syra View Post
Hey Bruce,

in one of the many articles you had about microphones I read you own a pair of the newer M149 microphones. Where do you find yourself using them mainly?

Thanks!
The M149 will work beautifully on lead vocals.

I recently recorded an excellent Jazz big band in Norway. I used my M149's in Blumlein pair on the saxophones. Excellent!!! I used them exactly as I had used my Neumann U-48's in Blumlein Pair on the saxes in Basie's Band in the 1960's. With the saxes in a circle around the mikes!!!!

The Neumann U-48 is exactly the same as a U-47, except that it is Cardiod and Bi-Directional, where-as a Neumann U-47 is Cardiod and Omni Directional... Thus two U-48's in Bi-directional, one above the other make an absolutely superb Blumlein Pair....

The result with the M149's was surprisingly similar to the U-48's in sonic character... If my memory serves me right!

Bruce Swedien

Old 4th September 2006
Gear Maniac

Placed in a circle? Don't you get a problem with the saxes on one side leaking into the other side out of phase, and vice versa?

/Henrik
Old 4th September 2006
Viking

Even the acoustical support heard by the two mikes is perfect...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrik View Post
Placed in a circle? Don't you get a problem with the saxes on one side leaking into the other side out of phase, and vice versa?

/Henrik
Henrik....

Absolutely!!! And I love it!!! If the microphones are in polarity they will always be in polarity with Blumlein Pair.

You are over-thinking an already perfect technique. The sound of the saxes in a circle around the two microphones in Blumlein Pair is as close to perfect as I have ever heard. Other musical sources as well... Even the acoustical support heard by the two mikes is perfect...

Total isolation of the two mikes is NEVER good!!!

Try it, you'll LOVE it!!!!

Bruce Swedien

Old 4th September 2006
Question

Hi Bruce,

do you use the same technique recording a choir?

Thanks

Marco
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search