The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
How much has your Engineering degree influenced your recordings
Old 29th August 2006
Gear Addict

How much has your Engineering degree influenced your recordings

Hi Bruce,

I was wondering how much your Electrical Engineering degree influenced your recordings .The reason I ask is because I remember that someone had asked you the question "Bass Guitar DI or mic on bass cab" and your answer
pointed out to the length of the bass waves.That kind of had me studying the frequency range of common instruments
and it has helped a lot.Also your hat baffle seems to be a very simple but effective engineering solution to
a common problem.

Like everybody else I am thrilled about your participation in GS

thanks
Old 30th August 2006
Viking

It has helped me get started.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by bit mangler View Post
Hi Bruce,

I was wondering how much your Electrical Engineering degree influenced your recordings .The reason I ask is because I remember that someone had asked you the question "Bass Guitar DI or mic on bass cab" and your answer
pointed out to the length of the bass waves.That kind of had me studying the frequency range of common instruments
and it has helped a lot.Also your hat baffle seems to be a very simple but effective engineering solution to
a common problem.

Like everybody else I am thrilled about your participation in GS

thanks
Wow!!! Great Question....

It has helped me get started in the industry that I Love so dearly....

But, here is the real deal....

Formal Music and Technical Training

It has always amazed me that traditionally, many in our industry have little respect for formal music or technical training.

A-I personally think that most people in our industry are too lazy to really study an absolutely fascinating subject like Music Recording!!!

B-But I personally have a lot of respect for formal musical and technical training.

C-I identify with totally involved musicians. Totally involved musicians are well educated....

D-Totally involved musicians are discriminating listeners and they have highly developed critical listening skills.

There you have it!!!! Let me say that I am very happy that I went to the University Of Minnesota, and studied my ass off!!!!! I would do it that way again in a heartbeat!!!!

Bruce

Old 30th August 2006
Gear Head

That's great to hear, Bruce. I am studying Electrical Engineering at university now, and was wondering if you had any specific advice on useful topics/classes in engineering and/or good ways to get into the audio industry with an electrical engineering degree. Cheers!
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search