The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
your approach to a mix
Old 29th August 2006
Gear Nut

your approach to a mix

hi bruce

What is your scenario when you start a mix? All faders down - all faders up? Is there any specific order of instruments, coulours, elements that you follow while building up the mix? I know the "no rules"-rule but: What's the typical swedien way of approaching a mix?

thanks a ton
Old 1st September 2006
Viking

"Mixing - The Short Story"....

Quote:
Originally Posted by denne View Post
hi bruce

What is your scenario when you start a mix? All faders down - all faders up? Is there any specific order of instruments, coulours, elements that you follow while building up the mix? I know the "no rules"-rule but: What's the typical swedien way of approaching a mix?

thanks a ton
Here's is what I call "Music Mixing - The Short Story"....

I’ve always felt that music mixing is, in reality, an extension of arranging. I think that gut reactions translated to music recordings are the most believable. Therefore, it follows that music mixing has to be entirely instinctive and intuitive. To be working on a piece of music, and then having to stop the creative flow, to think through a technical function, is absolutely impossible for me.

The comprehensive strength of a powerful automation system enhances my creative energy by providing new working options.

One of the features I always look for in any desk is if it has the capacity to free my creative process. I'm much more impressed by being able to put myself and my imagination into the music, than I am about any specific technical feature on the desk itself.

Beyond the technology and the studio environment, is the love of music itself that defines my approach to my projects. I think music is really the only true magic in life. If I can't put my imagination into the music and create a sound field that exists first in my mind, and is not necessarily pre-thought, I will most definitely have a difficult time with a project. If the technology gets in the way of my imagination, I get very quickly bored and I’ll frequently start yawning. For me, as you can see, reacting to the sound of the music is enormously important.

Of course, that's the SHORT STORY....

Bruce Swedien

Old 2nd September 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Swedien View Post
Of course, that's the SHORT STORY....

Bruce Swedien

Care to share the long story? I know about 20,000 (ish) people who are interested. Well, I am anyway heh
Old 2nd September 2006
Lives for gear

Hi Mr Swedien,

When you are recording, what´s your aproach about recording levels ? Do you set the faders at 0 and get a level where that instrument or instruments are at "mix" level or do you always "maximise" the input level ( I don´t mean getting them near 0dbfs if working in the digital domain ) and lower the fader on playback if necesary ?

I´m quite instered in this aspect of recording because that implies a kind of mixing as long you are recording and it´s faster to go from one song to another. I know that with a DAW you can move the fader on the DAW and leave the fader at the console at 0 but I´m very interested in hear your opinion.

Thank you.
Old 3rd September 2006
Lives for Jesus

Question

Quote:
Bruce Swedien .One of the features I always look for in any desk is if it has the capacity to free my creative process. I'm much more impressed by being able to put myself and my imagination into the music, than I am about any specific technical feature on the desk itself.
Do you often do Recalls on a mix , days later .....or do you commit to the mix you decided on

(if you need to remix)

,............. Do you recall mixes or start from scratch ?

Thanks,

steve

Old 5th September 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by djui5 View Post
Care to share the long story? I know about 20,000 (ish) people who are interested. Well, I am anyway heh
yeah...i know your big time..and your there for a reason..but i think me here in 'starting time' would love to hear the long story...
Old 5th September 2006
Viking

Whether my recording system is digital or analogue....

Quote:
Originally Posted by espasonico View Post
Hi Mr Swedien,

When you are recording, what´s your aproach about recording levels ? Do you set the faders at 0 and get a level where that instrument or instruments are at "mix" level or do you always "maximise" the input level ( I don´t mean getting them near 0dbfs if working in the digital domain ) and lower the fader on playback if necesary ?

I´m quite instered in this aspect of recording because that implies a kind of mixing as long you are recording and it´s faster to go from one song to another. I know that with a DAW you can move the fader on the DAW and leave the fader at the console at 0 but I´m very interested in hear your opinion.

Thank you.
Please, call me Bruce....

Going faster from one song to another could never be an issue to me..... Whether my recording system is digital or analogue.... I am ONLY interested in the music involved....

Bruce Swedien

Old 6th September 2006
Viking

And NOT UNTIL THEN!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevep View Post
Do you often do Recalls on a mix , days later .....or do you commit to the mix you decided on

(if you need to remix)

,............. Do you recall mixes or start from scratch ?

Thanks,

steve

steve

You'll know that I have committed to a mix when you can buy my musicical projects at Tower Records... And NOT UNTIL THEN!!!!

Bruce Swedien

Old 7th September 2006
Lives for Jesus

Question

Quote:
Do you recall mixes or start from scratch ?

in this DAW world its easy to recall But........

I work with a Large console and outboard....... so........????

do you just leave it on the desk until its done ?

Thank you,

steve

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search