The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
A Good Set of Affordable Microphones?
Old 28th August 2006
Gear Addict

A Good Set of Affordable Microphones?

Bruce,

I watched your video and observed you using some very expensive Neumann condenser microphones, as well as some probably lower priced Audio Technica condenser mics.

I recall you referring to one particular AT pencil mic as "fantastic".

Would you be so kind as to recommend a comprehensive set of microphones that someone recording rock and pop music on an "AT" budget could benefit the most from?

Old 28th August 2006
Viking

The words affordable and Good don't relate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slap Back View Post
Bruce,

I watched your video and observed you using some very expensive Neumann condenser microphones, as well as some probably lower priced Audio Technica condenser mics.

I recall you referring to one particular AT pencil mic as "fantastic".

Would you be so kind as to recommend a comprehensive set of microphones that someone recording rock and pop music on an "AT" budget could benefit the most from?

I believe that most of the time, No All The Time... The words affordable and Good don't relate, I know this sounds elitist, but I firmly believe that is how it is!!! I don't think that money can talk to music... Yes, I am a spoiled old foof!!! Big Deal!!!

I have NEVER compromised my ideals when it comes to music recording. I alwys buy or build - THE VERY BEST!!!

In 1954, when Bea and I were first married, I told her one day, "Honey, we have to buy two Telefunken U-47 microphones so I can continue progress in my work... The problem is they will cost $390.00 each.... -(That was an absolute fortune then!!!)" Of course she asked me "Why Two???" I explaned to her how excited I was about the future and most of all STEREO!!! She said, "Of course, let's do it!!!"

When we were first married on January 9th, 1953, we had $35.00, and a 1939 Dodge Sedan to our name. That was IT! We bought the two Telefunkens, and..... (Read my BOOK!!!)

Bruce Swedien

Old 28th August 2006
OHA
Gear Addict

Where can I find a wife like that these days??
Old 28th August 2006
OHA
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Swedien View Post
II have NEVER compromised my ideals when it comes to music recording. I alwys buy or build - THE VERY BEST!!!
Have you built much equipment by yourself Bruce?
Old 29th August 2006
HSL
Here for the gear

Quote:
In 1954, when Bea and I were first married, I told her one day, "Honey, we have to buy two Telefunken U-47 microphones so I can continue progress in my work... The problem is they will cost $390.00 each.... -(That was an absolute fortune then!!!)" Of course she asked me "Why Two???" I explaned to her how excited I was about the future and most of all STEREO!!! She said, "Of course, let's do it!!!"

When we were first married on January 9th, 1953, we had $35.00, and a 1939 Dodge Sedan to our name. That was IT! We bought the two Telefunkens, and..... (Read my BOOK!!!)

Bruce Swedien

To put this in perspective, my neighbor, a WWII vet and newly married bought the house next to mine in 1948 for $900.

-Doug
Old 29th August 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
I believe that most of the time, No All The Time... The words affordable and Good don't relate, I know this sounds elitist, but I firmly believe that is how it is!!! I don't think that money can talk to music... Yes, I am a spoiled old foof!!! Big Deal!!!

I have NEVER compromised my ideals when it comes to music recording. I alwys buy or build - THE VERY BEST!!!

Bruce Swedien

That's awesome! Now I don't feel so bad for blowing all my loot on gear. heh
Old 29th August 2006
Han
Lives for gear

Dear Bruce, you're absolutely right, but don't you think there are some pretty neat sounding 'budget' mics out there?
Old 29th August 2006
Gear Addict

So, which would you rather have now... the Telefunkens or the '39 Sedan? heh
Old 30th August 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:

Bruce Swedien

I think there is the secret of your success!!!

Thanks Bruce for doing this. I already feel how I'm changing my life. Also you confirmed that I'm moving my carrier in right direction!
Old 30th August 2006
Lives for gear

I believe he is right, and I hope surgeons think the same way.

www.bluethumbproductions.com
Old 30th August 2006
Viking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
So, which would you rather have now... the Telefunkens or the '39 Sedan? heh
I'll take my Telefunken U-47's any day!!!!

Bruce

Old 30th August 2006
Gear Addict

OK, Let me rephrase my question (backpedal...)

Bruce,

Let's forget about the affordable part...

If you were starting a microphone collection (enough to record a pop/r&b/rock album) from scratch, selecting new microphones on the market today, which ones would you purchase?
Old 30th August 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
I explaned to her how excited I was about the future and most of all STEREO!!! She said, "Of course, let's do it!!!"

man, thats cute...
Old 30th August 2006
Gear Addict
At this point, the Telefunkens have a lot more mileage on them.

Quote:
I'll take my Telefunken U-47's any day!!!!

Bruce

Old 30th August 2006
BVB
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHA View Post
Where can I find a wife like that these days??

If you want I can borrow you mine for a day to spend your money on gear. LOL.

No - seriously - it is very important that partners stand behind (and next to) each other in such matters.

Greets

Paul Baekelandt
BVB Recording
Old 31st August 2006
Viking

Here's my vote for a realy great low-cost microphone....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Han View Post
Dear Bruce, you're absolutely right, but don't you think there are some pretty neat sounding 'budget' mics out there?
Han......

I know you!!! How are you ???

Thanks for reminding me. THERE ARE a couple of great low-cost microphones out there. I can only think of one right now. I'll keep on thinking.....

Here's my vote for a realy great low-cost microphone.... The Rode NT-4. Frequently it is my FIRST CHOICE for acoustic Guitar and similar. It is an X/Y Stereo Multi-Power Studio and Location 1/2” Condenser Microphone.

Here it is with me in the studio the other day....

I'll have to ask Jules to up-load it for me....

Bruce Swedien

Attached Thumbnails
A Good Set of Affordable Microphones?-rhodes-small.jpg  
Old 31st August 2006
Lives for gear

So Bruce, was the original poster correct to ask about some AT mics you've used with favourable results? If so, please share!

Thank you.
Old 31st August 2006
Viking

YOU DID GOOD!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by superburtm View Post
That's awesome! Now I don't feel so bad for blowing all my loot on gear. heh
YOU DID GOOD!!!!!

Bruce

Old 31st August 2006
Gear Head

Hi Bruce.. 1st , Thanks for hanging out here and fielding Q: Big fan of your work !

Curious to know your methods of micing the NT-4 on Acoustic Guitar . That would never have occured to me as i ve always used combinations of LDC and pencil mics...

Thanks , Rich
Old 31st August 2006
Han
Lives for gear

Quote:
Han......

I know you!!! How are you ???

Thanks for reminding me. THERE ARE a couple of great low-cost microphones out there. I can only think of one right now. I'll keep on thinking.....

Here's my vote for a realy great low-cost microphone.... The Rode NT-4. Frequently it is my FIRST CHOICE for acoustic Guitar and similar. It is an X/Y Stereo Multi-Power Studio and Location 1/2” Condenser Microphone.

Here it is with me in the studio the other day....

I'll have to ask Jules to up-load it for me....

Bruce Swedien

Thanks Bruce, I'm fine. I was thinking about the guy who started this thread. You gave him a great anwer, but I'm afraid it didn't help him very much.

I've been working in another studio lately in order to help the owner with the drumsound and he had a couple of AT3000's. These are very small side adressed condensers and we've used them on toms, which they did surprisingly well.

Lynn Fuston posted about these mic a while ago. So IMHO Audio Technica makes some pretty good sounding mics.

BTW, you noticed I've put your M149's on Harmony Central didn't you? I'll be glad to tell you how in a PM, because that was a bit tricky. heh

Peace, Han
Old 3rd September 2006
Viking

Hand me my Neumann Catalogue please....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slap Back View Post
Bruce,

Let's forget about the affordable part...

If you were starting a microphone collection (enough to record a pop/r&b/rock album) from scratch, selecting new microphones on the market today, which ones would you purchase?
Brucie sez-------------->Hand me my Neumann Catalogue please....

Bruce

Old 3rd September 2006
Gear Maniac

But you mentioned Shure SM7B as one of your favourite mics, and that one is not very expensive. Of course, you'd probably run it through a preamp costing many times more than the mic.

/Henrik
Old 4th September 2006
Viking

There's a big difference....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrik View Post
But you mentioned Shure SM7B as one of your favourite mics, and that one is not very expensive. Of course, you'd probably run it through a preamp costing many times more than the mic.

/Henrik
Henrik....

I NEVER SAID THAT I LIKE OR WOULD EVEN USE A SHURE SM7B!!!! One of my favorite vocal mikes however IS a Shure SM7!!! There's a big difference....

Bruce Swedien

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search