The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Bruce - your take on click tracks / metronome / timing?
Old 26th August 2006
Gearslutz.com admin

Bruce - your take on click tracks / metronome / timing?

Hi Bruce

In your career you must have worked many ways, with a conductor leading an orchestra, with jazz band leaders who lead from their position in the band - early days midi - right the way through to modern day BPM "grid locked" computerised click tracks that you can see on the computer screen.

Can you give us an insight on how your sessions, past and present day work with regards to tempo & timing?

(for example did you used to edit 2" tape to fix late drum hits? And how do you do it now)

Thank you,
Old 26th August 2006
Viking

I can answer one thing right away.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post
Hi Bruce

In your career you must have worked many ways, with a conductor leading an orchestra, with jazz band leaders who lead from their position in the band - early days midi - right the way through to modern day BPM "grid locked" computerised click tracks that you can see on the computer screen.

Can you give us an insight on how your sessions, past and present day work with regards to tempo & timing?

(for example did you used to edit 2" tape to fix late drum hits? And how do you do it now)

Thank you,
Jules....

This is one of those questions that will require a bit of thought on my part....

I can answer one thing right away - I have never edited 2 inch tape to fix drum hits. I have always had the luxury of working with drummers that don't make late drum hits!!!

Tempo and timing is a big issue. I'll get back to it...

Bruce

Old 26th August 2006
Gearslutz.com admin

Grrrrrrrrrreat!
Old 26th August 2006
Smile

can't wait.
Old 27th August 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Swedien View Post
Jules....

This is one of those questions that will require a bit of thought on my part....

I can answer one thing right away - I have never edited 2 inch tape to fix drum hits. I have always had the luxury of working with drummers that don't make late drum hits!!!

Bruce

The man work with JR,Jeff, and Ndougu, not sure these cats need to have
there ''timing fix''............hehehe
Old 30th August 2006
Gear maniac

good topic
Old 4th September 2006
Lives for gear

How many of the pop recordings that you've done used a click track?

BTW, I wish there were more drummers of Ndugu's quality and personailty. He's the finest drummer in regards to all aspects of drumming. I wish I had more opportunity to work with him. He makes an engineer look good!
Old 5th September 2006
Gear interested

N'dugu

I never even knew who N'dugu was, but
many years ago I went to the music store and
ended up buying a N'dugu signature series snare drum.
I think it cost about $600 at the time.
I still use it as my main snare.
Look forward to hearing more on this thread.

Brandon
Old 7th September 2006
Gear Addict

I have a guy pulling my left arm and a guy pulling my right arm

Left guy sez: "using a grid is sooooo easy...you can moove things, fix them..."

Right guy sez: "fry that grid, it's dangerous to the feel of your muzik...don't use clikz.."

Please elaborate on this topic...before I split!!!

PS. Thanks for sharing your great experience

Alberto Lombardi
Old 9th September 2006
Gear nut

great question Jules....very interested in this....I know it's project per project but keen to read your musings on things tempo Bruce...

thanks for channeling the funk so well with Jackson big man - it's extraordinary what comes out of the speakers on some of those records and it's a delight to see you posting on here

Anthony
Old 13th September 2006
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Swedien View Post
Jules....

Bruce

How do you decide when to use a click?

Do you find that musicians tend to feel comfy a little too slow for a playback that's moving?
Old 24th September 2006
Gear Guru

Please respond to this Bruce, if at all possible, before you leave.
Mentioned Products
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search