The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
the colour of sounds
Old 25th August 2006
Here for the gear
the colour of sounds

Hiya Bruce! I remember reading an interview with you some years back where you mentioned that you hear sounds as colours--you described the Minimoog bass as being "purple". I've always loved that sound (esp. when played by musicians like Greg Phillinganes!) I was just wondering, what colour do you perceive my personal favourite sound, the Hammond B-3/Leslie as, and how do you like to hear and treat it in a mix?

Best wishes,

Dean Ross
Old 26th August 2006
Lives for gear

I'd be interested too - I think there is a connection between the frequencies of sound and the frequencies of lights, even though they are totally different in type and spectrum.

I find it interesting that humans tend to split the colors into an octave of 7 colors, which appear to repeat (even though we can only see one octave).

I'm not entirely sure that there is any consistency in the way humans relate sounds to vision - although it's fairly common.
Old 27th August 2006
Lives for gear

Sorry to butt in but what your referring to is called Synesthesia. Visualizing sounds/musical frequencies as colours.

A mate of mine pointed me to a piece they did on it on the ABC website years ago. Very interesting.
Old 30th August 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptil View Post
Actually no. It was a full write up on a piece that went to air on ABC in Australia. Didnt have all those quotes like in the one you posted. I had a print out so I cant post a link.... was many years ago.

But thanks for this one. Im always interested in reading up on this.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search