The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
hi-hat baffle Ribbon Microphones
Old 24th August 2006
Gear maniac

hi-hat baffle

i've read before that you designed a kick drum cover and a baffle to put between the hat and snare. would you mind commenting on the construction and implementation of your hi-hat baffle? Was it effective?
Old 24th August 2006
Viking

Was it effective?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbox View Post
i've read before that you designed a kick drum cover and a baffle to put between the hat and snare. would you mind commenting on the construction and implementation of your hi-hat baffle? Was it effective?
Listen to Michael Jackson's recording "Billy Jean". Was it effective? i don't mean to be smart ass, but alot of people have commented very favorably on the drum sound of that recording...

Bruce

Check these photos out!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
hi-hat baffle-bass-drum-cover-close-photo.jpg   hi-hat baffle-drums-above-2jpg-copy.jpg  
Old 24th August 2006
Lives for gear

Can you tell us anything about how these baffles were made (i.e. what materials)?
Old 25th August 2006
Gear Addict

interesting. what's the snare baffle material?
121 on the hat? i've been using a beyer m130 on top of the hat, but i haven't tried micing the edge. i bet it gets lots of "chop"
Old 25th August 2006
Gear maniac

thanks again, Bruce. the pics are a great help, too.
Old 25th August 2006
Gear Head

You are such an inspiration to us all. Thank you immeasurably for sharing your experiences, techniques, and those priceless photos. You've certainly gotten us by the edge of our seats!

Thank you!!!

God Bless
Old 25th August 2006
That looks a little like Omar's kit (older thoguhm not the current bubinga wood kit).
Old 25th August 2006
Lives for gear

Killer! I'm gonna try and make one of those hat baffles! I hate hat in the snare.
Old 25th August 2006
Viking

It's a valuable addition to a recording engineer's arsenal.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamy Williams View Post
Can you tell us anything about how these baffles were made (i.e. what materials)?
The Kick Drum cover is made of a furniture blanket with elastic on the circumference and a zippered opening for the mike. I am thinking of making that cover here and offering it for sale - For a reasonable price, if I can!!! It's a valuable addition to a recording engineer's arsenal.....

The Snare / Hat isolation baffle is made of - a layer of Plywood, a layer of Mu-Metal (similar to lead) and a layer of compressed wood.... I am also thinking of making that isolation baffle here and offering it for sale - There are some materiels much better than Mu-Metal available now to stop sound transfer.

Bruce

Old 25th August 2006
Gear nut

Awesome...

I'll be looking out for the Swedien Kik Slipper and I'm gonna Snare me a Hat Baffler to boot! heh thumbsup
Oger
Old 25th August 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Swedien View Post
The Kick Drum cover is made of a furniture blanket with elastic on the circumference and a zippered opening for the mike. I am thinking of making that cover here and offering it for sale - For a reasonable price, if I can!!! It's a valuable addition to a recording engineer's arsenal.....

The Snare / Hat isolation baffle is made of - a layer of Plywood, a layer of Mu-Metal (similar to lead) and a layer of compressed wood.... I am also thinking of making that isolation baffle here and offering it for sale - There are some materiels much better than Mu-Metal available now to stop sound transfer.

Bruce

That would be great! I would definitely be interested in buying both of these if you ever get around to doing it. I wish I had more time to put together useful stuff like that for myself, but I have a hard enough time keeping the studio running whilst maintaining my day job.
Old 26th September 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Swedien View Post

Bruce

Let us Know im ready to order it Now!
Mentioned Products
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search