The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Tommy Dorsey
Old 24th August 2006
Gear Maniac

Tommy Dorsey

Hi Bruce,

Thanks so much for taking the time to answer the questions asked of you so far. I've met you twice in Ocala and both times forgot to ask you what it was like working with Tommy Dorsey? My grandfather was Paul Whiteman's Lead Trombone Player and when he decided to start his own band he wired Tommy Dorsey the money to come take his place. Thanks in advance for any stories about Tommy Dorsey as he and my grandfather were the best of friends.

Jim
Old 24th August 2006
Viking

Great sessions though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljmax View Post
Hi Bruce,

Thanks so much for taking the time to answer the questions asked of you so far. I've met you twice in Ocala and both times forgot to ask you what it was like working with Tommy Dorsey? My grandfather was Paul Whiteman's Lead Trombone Player and when he decided to start his own band he wired Tommy Dorsey the money to come take his place. Thanks in advance for any stories about Tommy Dorsey as he and my grandfather were the best of friends.

Jim
I worked with Tommy Dorsey in 1953 in Minneapolis, at Schmitt Music Company's Recording studio. I still have an autographed photo from him. You can barely read the inscription any more...

My strongest memory of Tommy Dorsey is that he was an incredible musician, and a royal Pain-In-The-Ass!!! In 1959 I worked with Tommy's brother Jimmy Dorsey at Universal Studio's in Chicago..... He was also a wonderful musician and not such a Pain-In-The-Ass!!!

Great sessions with both the Dorsey brothers though...

Bruce

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search