The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Bruce Don't you have a pair of 1176s" (no Compression)
Old 23rd August 2006
Gear Addict

Bruce Don't you have a pair of 1176s" (no Compression)

I noticed in your reply on compression, you say that you try not to use it, but surly you must use it sometimes, because it sure sounds like it to me. It even sounds like the Trans designer by SPL on some of your stuff.

At least this is what I think I hear.

THanks
Old 23rd August 2006
Viking

In the past two years I have begun to use NO compression, on vocals, AT ALL!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexicondonn View Post
I noticed in your reply on compression, you say that you try not to use it, but surly you must use it sometimes, because it sure sounds like it to me. It even sounds like the Trans designer by SPL on some of your stuff.

At least this is what I think I hear.

THanks
I do have a lovely pair (Actually i own three of them!!!) of Universal Audio 1176's. they are excellent, but I don't use them much. In the past two years I have begun to use NO compression, on vocals, AT ALL!!!

Bruce Swedien

Old 24th August 2006
Lives for gear

Just to clarify...is that NO compression during vocal tracking? Or during mixing as well?

thanks,
Brad
Old 25th August 2006
Deleted bd1be4f
And do you still primarily track to analog tape first these days? I can definitely see how using the natural tape compression can go a long way toward alleviating the need for outboard compression.
Old 25th August 2006
Lives for gear

Can you name an example of music, where I could listen to your "no-comression"-approach (I need new records anyway )

Thanks

Jo
Old 26th August 2006
Viking

Actually I like the sound of that one alot...

Quote:
Originally Posted by studjo View Post
Can you name an example of music, where I could listen to your "no-comression"-approach (I need new records anyway )

Thanks

Jo
Try "This Is Me....Then" and "Rebirth" by Jennifer Lopez.... Of course there was alot of compression done in the mastering.

Try "Gershwin's World" by Herbie Hancock... Actually I like the sound of that one alot...

Bruce

Old 26th August 2006
Lives for gear

I think I go with Herbie heh heh heh

Thanks for the tip Bruce (heading for the record shop)

Jo
Old 26th August 2006
Lives for gear

So, would I be far off base in asking if your own judgement in automation is what replaces compression, and if your feel that the workstation environment lets you do that faster with greater attention to detail than console automation alone did?
Old 27th August 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Swedien
.... Of course there was alot of compression done in the mastering.
So are U saying that using compression while mixing leads to transient destruction and dullness while using "a lot of compression" during mastering has no such side effects ?

(He has thrown the glove down there Bruce! - Jules)
Old 28th August 2006
Viking

Definitely I would not say that!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by van Overhalen View Post
So are U saying that using compression while mixing leads to transient destruction and dullness while using "a lot of compression" during mastering has no such side effects ?

(He has thrown the glove down there Bruce! - Jules)
Definitely I would not say that!!!! What I said is that I am not invited to the mastering sessions on my Jennifer Lopez projects!!!! Perhaps now you know one reason why!!!!

Nice question... I LOVE Gearslutz.....

Bruce Swedien

Old 29th August 2006
Lek
Lives for gear

thanks Bruce for all your replies to this and other threads
it has been extremely helpful as well as entertaining
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search