The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Off The Wall and it's sonic clarity.
Old 23rd August 2006
Lives for gear

Off The Wall and it's sonic clarity.

Off the Wall has always been one of my favorite albums to listen to for music and its mixes.

In particularly, "Don't Stop Til You Get Enough" and "Working Day and Night"...

Those two had a lot going on in the mixes yet everything was extremely clear and audible. It was like there was not one ounce of mud to be found in the music...the separation was....perfect.

What tips do you have for mixing busy mixes and still preserving every piece of action in the music, sonically?

Thanks in advance and it truly is an honor to receive advice from you.
Old 23rd August 2006
Viking

This is how I look at it....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big 3rd View Post
Off the Wall has always been one of my favorite albums to listen to for music and its mixes.

In particularly, "Don't Stop Til You Get Enough" and "Working Day and Night"...

Those two had a lot going on in the mixes yet everything was extremely clear and audible. It was like there was not one ounce of mud to be found in the music...the separation was....perfect.

What tips do you have for mixing busy mixes and still preserving every piece of action in the music, sonically?

Thanks in advance and it truly is an honor to receive advice from you.
Big 3rd - -------->This is how I look at it....

To me, the over-all "Musical-Sense" of a piece of music is the most important thing to consider. I like to let the music tell me what it needs in the way of recording and mixing values.

A good song, or piece of music, seems to have a life of it's own. Let the music "Tell us what to do next". In a mix-down session, if we work for hours to try to make a 'gated reverb' on the snare drum sound good, and in our heart if hearts we know it sounds awful, the fact is; the song doesn’t want a 'gated reverb' on the snare drum. Don't try and force it. I don’t think we can ever win out over the personality of the song. The music will always triumph.

Bruce Swedien

Old 23rd August 2006
Smile

Man, those were some of my favorite tracks when I was a kid.

Great work to all involved : )
Old 23rd August 2006
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Swedien View Post
the song doesn’t want a 'gated reverb' on the snare drum. Don't try and force it. I don’t think we can ever win out over the personality of the song. The music will always triumph.
So true. but how do you explain this to a client? (well, you don't have to of course, but I try sometimes - with little succes)

thanks
Old 23rd August 2006
Lives for gear

For me this album is the pinnacle of modern pop production.
The fact that it is 25 years old says a lot. I don't think anyone has made a better written or recorded pop album since then.
Old 23rd August 2006
Viking

Forget about explaining that stuff to a client.

Quote:
Originally Posted by denne View Post
So true. but how do you explain this to a client? (well, you don't have to of course, but I try sometimes - with little succes)

thanks
Forget about explaining that stuff to a client. You only THINK you are obligated to do so....

Can you mix?????

Bruce Swedien

Old 23rd August 2006
Gear Nut

Quote:
Can you mix?????
hehethumbsup
Old 24th August 2006
Lives for Jesus

Thumbs up

Quote:
Forget about explaining that stuff to a client. You only THINK you are obligated to do so....

Can you mix?????

Bruce Swedien

Thanks for the Encouragement ,

They hired US to mix this thing.......... they should trust our call.

Bruce, thanks again for being part of Gearslutz and sharing your knowledge with us

steve

Old 25th August 2006
Smile

Yeah, and honor, truly.

Muchas gracias, senior
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search