The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
MJ vocal mic
Old 21st August 2006
Lives for gear

MJ vocal mic

Hi Bruce, and thanks in advance. Just curious, it is well documented that Michael Jackson's vocals were recorded with an SM7, how was that decision made? Was it his request? Did you try different mics?

All the Best

Steve Genewick
Old 22nd August 2006
Just Another Old Guy

I've got one of Bruce's SM7 (still has the blue Dymo tape label with his name on it) from Fletcher, and once I replaced the chewed up front foam, it sounded pretty damn nice.

Didn't realize it had belonged to Bruce until I saw his name on it. For a while, we thought it was the "Thriller" mic, but I think Bruce still has that one.
Old 24th August 2006
UXB
Gear Head

and to add, if I may, if this was the mic used, did you then re-mic with a stereo pair to capture a phase coherent stereo image?

I apologize if this has been addressed in a previous post.
A sincere thanks for sharing so much.

Best,
H
Old 25th August 2006
Viking

I only have one left.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey Gerst View Post
I've got one of Bruce's SM7 (still has the blue Dymo tape label with his name on it) from Fletcher, and once I replaced the chewed up front foam, it sounded pretty damn nice.

Didn't realize it had belonged to Bruce until I saw his name on it. For a while, we thought it was the "Thriller" mic, but I think Bruce still has that one.
When we were doing "Off The Wall", "Thriller" and "Bad" I ended up with 6 Shure SM7's. I only have one left. That is a fantastic mike.

Bruce

Old 26th August 2006
Just Another Old Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Swedien View Post
When we were doing "Off The Wall", "Thriller" and "Bad" I ended up with 6 Shure SM7's. I only have one left. That is a fantastic mike.

Bruce

Wait!! Are you saying that I might indeed really have one on the "Mikey" mics"? That would be funny.

BTW, when they were the "Jackson Five", they lived across the street from me up in the Hollywood Hills, when they first moved here from Gary, Indiana. Since I designed their Acoustic Control amplifiers, I met them a few times during their early years.

Bruce, you and I talked a few times on the old PAN network, when I designed "the mic" for IMC. You were gonna try it, but we never produced the damn thing.
Old 17th September 2006
Viking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve G View Post
Hi Bruce, and thanks in advance. Just curious, it is well documented that Michael Jackson's vocals were recorded with an SM7, how was that decision made? Was it his request? Did you try different mics?

All the Best

Steve Genewick
Steve.....

I am lucky in that all those equipment choice decisions were left totally up to me. Quincy and I have worked together since 1959 so I think there is a high level of trust there... That is an almost sacred trust.

Bruce

Old 25th September 2006
Gear maniac

At least it's in time!

Bruce, I had the good fortune to engineer a few demos for MJ's "Bad" album when I worked for the BeeGees, and noticed that when we did vocals, Michael would snap his fingers loudly, when singing.

I turned to John Barnes and said "Is this normal?", and he said "yes, continue", haha.

I was wondering if it was ever a problem, and if the finger-snaps have ever made it to the record on songs where we can hear them clearly?

Thanks!
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search