The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Bitwig Studio 3 DAW Software
Old 16th January 2019
Old 16th January 2019
Gear Addict
Winner.
Simply beautiful
Just in time for the new sub-forum....
Old 16th January 2019
yess!!
Old 16th January 2019
Lives for gear

Old 16th January 2019
Gear Nut

Holy cow!!!!!
This will be a game changer for Bitwig and hopefully it will help it develop much more deserved attention and support on marketplace.

Astonishing job by German programming wizards, Bitwig team, thank you
Old 16th January 2019
Gear Nut

Just wow!
Old 16th January 2019
Here for the gear

It looks cool, but still I would like to have

1) Instrument Freeze with full tail
2) Overlapping of Instrument event blocks
3) Automated bus creation for multi-out VST instruments
4) Auto-resize of VST plugins according to your screen settings
5) Better control over amount of send effect
... and many more

I reallly like Bitwig, but just for sound design. For arrangement, finish and many other stuff, I use Studio One ... for example in Studio One I really like the tabbed instruments and effects(and they resize to your screen), that I can jump from one to another just with one click. Of course macros. Scratch pad in Studio One is superb feature. What I'm missing and would be great are the mixer snapshots introduced in Cubase 10.

I prefer left to right arrangement than clip launchers ...
Old 16th January 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by silspok View Post
It looks cool, but still I would like to have

1) Instrument Freeze with full tail
2) Overlapping of Instrument event blocks
3) Automated bus creation for multi-out VST instruments
4) Auto-resize of VST plugins according to your screen settings
5) Better control over amount of send effect
... and many more

I reallly like Bitwig, but just for sound design. For arrangement, finish and many other stuff, I use Studio One ... for example in Studio One I really like the tabbed instruments and effects(and they resize to your screen), that I can jump from one to another just with one click. Of course macros. Scratch pad in Studio One is superb feature. What I'm missing and would be great are the mixer snapshots introduced in Cubase 10.

I prefer left to right arrangement than clip launchers ...
They have different directions. I don't expect the advanced arrangement functions of S1 or Cubase etc in Bitwig. Likewise I don't think we will see deep modulation functions, sound manipulation on aforementioned either. I use BWS and Live only for sound design and inspiration to compliment Studio one. The linear traditional arrangement with deep piano roll midi functions, audio editing mixing etc are all secondary to BWS and Live. So it is better to have one from each camp.
Old 17th January 2019
Lives for gear

I never made the jump to 2 because the upgrade price was too steep IMO. I'm going to wait to see if they'll have a deal to upgrade from 1 to 3. If not, I'm strongly considering Ableton (for Max4Live) and Reason. The modular looks cool though.
Old 17th January 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by raffivegas View Post
I never made the jump to 2 because the upgrade price was too steep IMO. I'm going to wait to see if they'll have a deal to upgrade from 1 to 3. If not, I'm strongly considering Ableton (for Max4Live) and Reason. The modular looks cool though.
Bitwig Studio has a fixed price of update. 169 USD. Does not matter which version you have. With that comes 12 months of free updates. After that you can keep using your latest version.
Old 17th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinga View Post
Bitwig Studio has a fixed price of update. 169 USD. Does not matter which version you have. With that comes 12 months of free updates. After that you can keep using your latest version.
I remember them discounting the upgrade price once. At 169 USD, it's too tempting to try another daw. Used Ableton and Reason license transfers don't cost much more than that.
Old 17th January 2019
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by raffivegas View Post
I remember them discounting the upgrade price once. At 169 USD, it's too tempting to try another daw. Used Ableton and Reason license transfers don't cost much more than that.

There have been several 'sales each year, I picked up my upgrade from AudioDeluxe (I think) for $120 bucks. That would get you V3 and a lot more (3-4 major updates based on past performance).

You can probably get a Reason licence for that, but they are totally different things, I don't think you will get Live Suite for that, but even if you do, I have Live suite (9) and I find Bitwig (even at 2.5) far better....3 I suspect will see a lot of Live users moving to Bitwig (based on people saying that over at KVR) but time will tell. All I can say is I am very happy with Bitwig and after using Live since it added midi (V4?) I have now fully moved/committed to Bitwig as I like the speed they are developing at and the direction they are gong in.

The latter is the most important thing to consider for any new user! There is a nice 'vision/roadmap' here: Bitwig | Behind The Scenes: Modularity in Bitwig Studio
Old 17th January 2019
Deleted 46dc28f
Old 17th January 2019
Gear Addict
I wonder if it will be possible to have the browser on the left hand side like in Ableton. I would be happier if they worked on improving the editor instead of adding more bloat.
Old 17th January 2019
Gear Addict

Bitwig 3 looks like a good time to upgrade my subscription. Version 2.3.5 is working well. Bitwig got me into Linux. So I’ve run it on Linux Lite (favorite distro), Windows 10 and Mac high Sierra. Mac is the best os for audio. Of course my pc is a tri-boot machine and the Mac is a hackintosh.
Old 17th January 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcct View Post
I wonder if it will be possible to have the browser on the left hand side like in Ableton. I would be happier if they worked on improving the editor instead of adding more bloat.
They aren't adding bloat though. Bitwig has been modular from the start, all this stuff was running under the hood already, now they just made it visible to the user
Old 17th January 2019
@ silspok I prefer Logic for mixing at the moment. I'm still at Logic 9 and I think I'll stick there for a little while. It suits my way of working.
But I wanted a work environment to quickly write songs and ended up with Bitwig. And some hardware. Each program has it's strengths and workflow and I like that it's different.
I doubt "freeze tracks" would ever be possible, because of it's non-linear structure. You'd have to freeze a bunch of clips too. No I think that would turn into a mess quickly. I'm saving up for a really fast laptop. Thankfully the gaming computer market is in overdrive right now, so I'm looking that direction. Probably summer, after the new models are introduced. It'll be my first non-Apple PC haha

@ elcct what's wrong with the editor?
The whole program is set up in a modular way, so the introduction of the grid is just a visual change, to aid workflow, I don't see it as "bloatware". It would be very neat if we can put 3rd party plugins (VSTs) in the grid. Modulators already are working with plugins so I don't see why not. The wavetable sampler saves me from buying an (expensive!) Assimil8or or ER-301 eurorack module so I'm stoked about that.

edit: ah MickBenjamins beat me to it I have to type faster!
Old 17th January 2019
Here for the gear

Yes! And also yes for the new subforum. The KVR forum is so clogged with bug reports. Since leaving FB I've been pining for a place to talk about the creative aspects of Bitwig.
Old 17th January 2019
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickbenjamins View Post
They aren't adding bloat though. Bitwig has been modular from the start, all this stuff was running under the hood already, now they just made it visible to the user
What I meant is that they should fix usability before adding a pile of new things. If the UI is clunky and things don't work as expected then what's the point in having more stuff that you won't use anyway. Not sure what this aims to achieve.
Old 17th January 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
What I meant is that they should fix usability before adding a pile of new things. If the UI is clunky and things don't work as expected then what's the point in having more stuff that you won't use anyway. Not sure what this aims to achieve.
The UI is not clunky. I find the workflow far superior to Live. Yes there are bugs, but it hasn't stopped me from producing high quality finished work.
Old 17th January 2019
Quote:
Thats very personal of course. I hav no problems with the UI, I prefer it over Ableton Live.

My year on upgrades ran out, but I'm looking forward to the beta
Old 17th January 2019
Gear Addict
Quote:
The browser concept (left or right) has been somewhat superseded by the far superior 'pop up browser' that is context sensitive and in 2.5 even gets rid of duplicate VSTs etc...its really very nice.

YouTube
Old 17th January 2019
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLiC View Post
The browser concept (left or right) has been somewhat superseded by the far superior 'pop up browser' that is context sensitive and in 2.5 even gets rid of duplicate VSTs etc...its really very nice.

YouTube
This is the worst feature of Bitwig imho. If you want to select something the popup covers good chunk of the screen and distracts. I prefer the UI that has everything visible in one screen which Ableton done pretty well.
This is what they offered me to use when they said the ability to switch the browser to the left hand side is unavailable. I find it bizarre because given how flexible their UI system is, that shouldn't take much effort to make.
I'd love to jump the Ableton ship, because their handling of multi-core cpus is rubbish among the other things, but the workflow is second to none.
It appears that Bitwig wants to differentiate itself from Ableton even at the cost of inferior usability.
Old 17th January 2019
Gear Addict
Quote:
This is the worst feature of Bitwig imho. If you want to select something the popup covers good chunk of the screen and distracts. I prefer the UI that has everything visible in one screen which Ableton done pretty well.
This is what they offered me to use when they said the ability to switch the browser to the left hand side is unavailable. I find it bizarre because given how flexible their UI system is, that shouldn't take much effort to make.
I'd love to jump the Ableton ship, because their handling of multi-core cpus is rubbish among the other things, but the workflow is second to none.
It appears that Bitwig wants to differentiate itself from Ableton even at the cost of inferior usability.
Fair enough, I think you can turn it off (never looked) but for the few seconds its on the screen its a real workflow enhancement

"The Pop-up Browser is aware of its surroundings, assessing where it was called up within the track's signal flow and then giving you the most common device type for that particular situation. For example, clicking the add device button immediately before an instrument will automatically suggest Note Effect devices."

The other thing is I use other DAWS, mainly Studio One, also Cubase - both have the browser on the left (and I don't think they move either), so its where I expect to see it...its Live that is the odd man out I think!
Old 17th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
It aims to achieve selling more bitwig licenses.

Many of the bitwig users love this "tinkering" side aspect of bitwig, it's good at this sort of thing and just about to get better, more sales and renewals hopefully.

For me the reason I first got bitwig was because of "the fully modular environment", I'm not sure v3 is what was advertised in any way but it's interesting stuff for the tinkerers and maybe a start.

For me though bitwig is not useable as a DAW, too many weak points. I still like it to tinker with it though, if only they would release the device/chain side of it as a plugin to use in another DAW it would be killer.
Old 17th January 2019
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLiC View Post
The other thing is I use other DAWS, mainly Studio One, also Cubase - both have the browser on the left (and I don't think they move either), so its where I expect to see it...its Live that is the odd man out I think!
Probably that's why I don't use Cubase or Studio One either
Old 18th January 2019
Gear Nut
Bitwig just keeps getting better and better!
Old 18th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
I use both, and studio one. in some aspects, bitwig crushes ableton in usability, it's probably just that you're so used to ableton it seems less so:

1. tons of user-definable shortcuts, like the super basic "toggle plugin window" which still doesn't exist in Live (only close plugins)
2. audio editing-in the clip
3. browser that doesn't get stuck for two minutes if I type "wa" while wanting to pull up a waves plugin
4. toggle clip matrix from within the arrange window
5. modular madness–plugins within plugins etc.
6. they update and improve constantly

two things Live has that bitwig doesn't which are essential to me:

1. midi prerecord–whatever you call that, amazing
2. auto-quantizing loop length to nearest bar when recording

and of course bundled content, though bitwig's newest synth is pretty sick and some curated stuff is cool to me. all understandable given the age and price difference.
Old 19th January 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
But moving the browser from the right to the left fixes nothing.
Old 20th January 2019
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtomars View Post
But moving the browser from the right to the left fixes nothing.
Improves workflow and saves times as a starter.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search