The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Bitwig Studio 3
Old 10th February 2019
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by VNVNation View Post
Yeah I tend to agree. Collaboration seems like such a small use-case. I could be wrong but at a guess there would be only a really small number of users who would actually use it. On the other hand a way to use 2-3 computers in a studio as a kind of super-daw power up would be brilliant, most of us have a main computer and a laptop so yeah, instant power up. Seems like such an obvious idea, maybe it already exists?
FX Teleport

Never went mainstream and to the best of my knowledge no DAW has yet built this in.

Vienna Symphonic Library Vienna Ensemble Pro 6 - Upgrade from v4-5 - Sweetwater
Boost Your Creativity and Streamline Your Workflow
Note: This is an opportunity for owners of Vienna Ensemble Pro Versions 4 and 5 to upgrade to Version 6 at a special price. Contact your Sales Engineer for details.

Now Playing:
New Features in Version 6

VSL - Overview Video

VSL Studio Chat with Gabriel Yared/ Part 1

VSL Studio Chat with Gabriel Yared/ Part 2

VSL Vienna Ensemble Pro 6 is your total cross-platform MIDI and audio LAN solution. Deploy Vienna Ensemble Pro 6 as a host on your DAW machine to coordinate your Vienna Instruments and third-party 64- and 32-bit VSTi/AU plug-ins. Shuttle the audio streams from your Macs or PCs back to your main computer, or use it in a master/slave configuration with multiple computers connected through Ethernet. Either way, all you need are simple Ethernet cables - no additional hardware required! Ensemble Pro 6 gives you all of this, plus it's packed with new features that help you compose faster and more efficiently! If your virtual studio is getting out of control, VSL's Vienna Ensemble Pro 6 is the powerful, smart solution.

Seems to be a fully working solution and quite popular
Old 18th February 2019
Lives for gear

It has been about a month since NAMM... should be getting close to a Bitwig 3 beta!
Old 8th May 2019
Lives for gear

Beta is available
Old 8th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveElbows View Post
Beta is available
And wow is it slick!
Old 8th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by draig View Post
And wow is it slick!
They deserve a user interface design award.

The grid seems to work real well with MPE too, all of the polyphonic expression with none of the mess/duplication.

I am also easily satisfied with things like the scope.
Old 8th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveElbows View Post
They deserve a user interface design award.

The grid seems to work real well with MPE too, all of the polyphonic expression with none of the mess/duplication.

I am also easily satisfied with things like the scope.
Yeah, the GUI stuff is really impressive.

Click any Grid module and the inspector shows active signals for all active inputs and outputs.
Old 8th May 2019
Gear Maniac

Looks like they are working on cleaning up the GUI in general. Streamlining etc, the oscilloscope looks
much better 4 one imho. Overall, I prefer the graphics in live, bitwig doesn't have far to go to catch up tho.
By graphics, I mostly mean the filled analyzer and waveform drawing etc., which imho is much more polished
in live.

Still, great job on the part of the Bitwig team
Old 9th May 2019
Here for the gear

New footage of the Grid just w0w
Old 9th May 2019
Lives for gear
I'm about to jump and finally buy into Bitwig for the grid, anyone got any discount codes I can use? Or a recommendation for best site to buy it from?

Thanks in advance,
Old 9th May 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by AikiGhost View Post
I'm about to jump and finally buy into Bitwig for the grid, anyone got any discount codes I can use? Or a recommendation for best site to buy it from?

Thanks in advance,
Audio Deluxe or JRR's will typically have a slight discount. Depending on
how determined you are, the cheapest way would be to buy used, even
upgrading an older version would probably be way cheaper than buying it new.

Also you can always wait until the discounts roll around for Black Friday etc.
as well....
Old 9th May 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by pekbro View Post
Audio Deluxe or JRR's will typically have a slight discount. Depending on
how determined you are, the cheapest way would be to buy used, even
upgrading an older version would probably be way cheaper than buying it new.

Also you can always wait until the discounts roll around for Black Friday etc.
as well....
Cheers. In the end I managed to find a 20% discount online via an approved bitwig trainers website.

Last edited by AikiGhost; 10th May 2019 at 12:07 AM..
Old 10th May 2019
Gear Addict

I'm guessing Bitwig will have some discounts once v3 is publicly available. Or wait a couple of months for black Friday until bugs have been ironed out :P
Old 17th May 2019
Lives for gear

Bitwig 3 beta 2 is out!
Old 17th May 2019
Gear Addict
Yup- seems more efficient and has new modules!
Great development team!
Old 17th May 2019
Anyone have a take on this?
"Polyphonic voices for all Bitwig instruments (and FX Grid) are now processed in parallel"
They seemed pleased with this particular bullet point - is it going to make bitwig more powerful on the same hardware? It sure sounds like a big deal.
I think i remember reading Diva does this too...but all the synths in a DAW doing it would presumably make load spreading much much better...
Old 17th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloofin View Post
Anyone have a take on this?
"Polyphonic voices for all Bitwig instruments (and FX Grid) are now processed in parallel"
They seemed pleased with this particular bullet point - is it going to make bitwig more powerful on the same hardware? It sure sounds like a big deal.
I think i remember reading Diva does this too...but all the synths in a DAW doing it would presumably make load spreading much much better...
It is a big deal...

Diva can spread itself across cores in one instance. That does not actually make the synth more efficient. It lets the user spread the CPU load across cores.

I think this is a more efficient way of calculating voices together so it is allowing more total voices than before.
Old 18th May 2019
Here for the gear

Do you think they are going to have a sale when they release Bitwig 3?
Old 18th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by omnibrain View Post
Do you think they are going to have a sale when they release Bitwig 3?
My guess is no... emphasis on guess
Old 23rd May 2019
Lives for gear

Beta 3 is out...
Old 23rd May 2019
Gear Addict
Moving along nicely.....
On Target for June Release
Old 10th July 2019
Gear Nut

Bitwig Studio 3 has finally been released. However I’m having CPU problems. I had a few projects in Bitwig Studio 2.5 that only used between 30% and 40% of CPU. When I open the same projects on Bitwig Studio 3.0 the CPU is reaching 80% and 90% and the audio is breaking up. I am using a Surface Pro 3 running Windows 10.
Old 10th July 2019
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artmuzz View Post
Bitwig Studio 3 has finally been released. However I’m having CPU problems. I had a few projects in Bitwig Studio 2.5 that only used between 30% and 40% of CPU. When I open the same projects on Bitwig Studio 3.0 the CPU is reaching 80% and 90% and the audio is breaking up. I am using a Surface Pro 3 running Windows 10.
check your buffer size, I had the same issue and it re-adjusted for about 3ms latency (I was set at 10ms before the update)
Old 12th July 2019
Lives for gear

BItwig grid does not have 1 unit sample feedback loops implemented , which is imho a pretty big miss.
For feedback loops you need to insert a long delay module set to it's minimum delay time , which reads 0.02 ms but is actually 1 buffer block of 10 to 20 ms ( could be even more )
In other words , you can't create dx7 algoritms that have 2 and more operators in the feedback loops ,like algo 2 and 6 .
A modular without feedback routing possibilty , pretty lame if you ask me
Old 13th July 2019
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentleclockdivid View Post
BItwig grid does not have 1 unit sample feedback loops implemented , which is imho a pretty big miss.
For feedback loops you need to insert a long delay module set to it's minimum delay time , which reads 0.02 ms but is actually 1 buffer block of 10 to 20 ms ( could be even more )
In other words , you can't create dx7 algoritms that have 2 and more operators in the feedback loops ,like algo 2 and 6 .
Which DAW can do that natively?
Old 14th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLiC View Post
Which DAW can do that natively?
They should have thought about that before commiting to it
Old 14th July 2019
TNC
Lives for gear

Quote:
This is new to me. Is it the way it is because it's part of the DAW? Can they make it possible later with an update?
Old 4th August 2019
Gear Addict

Ableton

I considered jumping over to Bitwig just for the fact they have a Linux version but it’s more expensive than Ableton in the long run and I prefer the stability of Ableton over features. Ableton never crashes on me and when I am working on music I never want to have the DAW crash because it breaks your concentration and is immensely frustrating.

I used Bitwig for a while and had too many crashes and issues. I love what they are doing but I would rather have them focus on the stability of the core over features. Features are cool but it has to be stable.

FL Studio is unique in the fact they build it on pascal which is as fast as c++ and is much faster to develop without sacrificing stability. Bitwig and Ableton have c++ code based which take much more time to get stable.

Maybe one day I will switch but for now I am staying with Ableton. Features only go so far.
Old 5th August 2019
Gear Addict
Bitwig is rock solid for me (Windows) I have never had a crash, even if a plug in crashes Bitwig doesn’t due to sand boxing, a great feature!

I don’t really understand the argument about Bitwig costing more ‘in the long run’ - bitwig costs about half as much as Live Suite and that it all it will ever cost you unless you ‘choose’ to pay for an upgrade. The upgrade to V3 was less than half the cost of the upgrade from Live 9 to 10 (in fact if you shop around you could buy Bitwig 3 for the cost of upgrading Live from 9 to 10, which is why I am still on Live 9 suite!)
Old 8th August 2019
Gear Maniac

Sounds like a problem with your setup. I use Bitwig almost daily on a Mac and it has literally never crashed.

And yeah, the “more expensive in the long run” comment doesn’t make any sense. You’re free to pay for only major updates, and you need to buy Max for Live to get something comparable to Bitwig 3.

It’s cool if you prefer Ableton or FL or anything else — you don’t need to justify it. But if your main issue with Bitwig was really stability then try contacting Bitwig. I’m sure they’d love to know about the issue and try to help you diagnose it.
Old 8th August 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
It can’t recreate two DX7 algorithms so it’s a “pretty big mess” and “pretty lame.”
Sure, totally makes sense

I don’t think a Moog system 55 can recreate any DX7 algorithms. It must be the lamest modular ever.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search