-New quick start templates
-Modulation workflow enhancements
-And more...

All the details here: Bitwig | Announcing Bitwig Studio 2.4
Old 12th July 2018
Lives for gear

Old 13th July 2018
Gear Addict
So, BWS now looks to have a better sampler than Live Suite....reasons for using Live are getting less with each of the frequent updates.

The rate of updfates and improvements (and true inovation) by the BWS team is truely outstanding. Maybe one day they will even get a sub-forum on Slutz!

Last edited by SLiC; 13th July 2018 at 03:10 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 16th July 2018
I'll have to renew my update plan! Sampler looks gooooooood.

I'm a little sad that there's no Drum Sampler-to-WAV function, I had asked for that, seems a waste of the awesome sample slicer not to have it spit out audio files & MIDI map (so I can import that into my MPC). A bit like the old Propellerhead Recycle software did. (which has been abandoned)
But they said "nope" we have other priorities. Maybe in the future.
Old 16th July 2018
First I want them to implement support for video files
Old 16th July 2018
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickbenjamins View Post
First I want them to implement support for video files

Try this whilst you wait VidPlayVST.com
Old 4th September 2018
Here for the gear

I can advocate for VidPlayVST too. Using it inside an FX-Selector makes it possible to start and end and begin on a new cue with little tweaking.
Old 18th September 2018
Deleted 46dc28f
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLiC View Post
Maybe one day they will even get a sub-forum on Slutz!
Mods, please!

Old 18th September 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
So, BWS now looks to have a better sampler than Live Suite....reasons for using Live are getting less with each of the frequent updates.

The rate of updfates and improvements (and true inovation) by the BWS team is truely outstanding. Maybe one day they will even get a sub-forum on Slutz!

Hmm. I wouldn't go that far. It's certainly a nice sampler. Has all the features you would need, but Ableton's has realtime stretching built in and chopping is also built in which makes it a little easier to use. My biggest gripe so far is the inability to to drag and drop sections directly from the arrange view to the sampler or to a Drum rack like I can with Ableton. It's a real workflow killer for me.

EDIT: After some testing it seems you can drag and drop sections from audio in the arrange view into the sampler/drum machine. Its just not as straightforward as it is in other DAWs. You have to make sure that in the dialog that asks if you want to slice you set it to Audio Event instead. Not exactly intuitive but it works.

Now I üst have to find out if its possible to do drum machine templates. For example when slicing Ableton gives you the option of using a template and using drop to choose it when slicing. That would be very helpful since right now by default all slices in the Drum machine are not in one shot mode.

Last edited by apoclypse; 19th September 2018 at 02:54 AM..
Old 19th September 2018
Gear Addict

I’m gonna update my subscription once I get some extra money. Version 2.3.5 works really well, but I want to definitely support Bitwig because it’s such an awesome program.
Old 19th September 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by e6400ultra View Post
Mods, please!

Old 25th September 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:

I was just thinking the same thing! Its super odd that bitwig doesnt have its own section right? Or is it not widely used?

I agree with above posters that the reasons for using live seem to be diminishing (despite the fact that push 2 offers a great workflow, and max for live is insanely awesome)

Personally, i have been on a huge journey over the summer. I was just feeling like i had really nailed Live and Studio one. I settled on them a couple of years ago and really got in there and learned them pretty well.
But then i tried a synth called biotek. I didnt think i needed it but, alas, i fell in love with it. On checking out the company (Tracktion) i saw they had their own DAW.
Anyway, to cut it short, i realised that Waveform had loads of insanely modern and inspiring features. Overall it opened my eyes to the fact that there are actually some serous innovations happening in the DAW world.
I then decided to try a bunch of them to see fi i was missing anything. Tried FL - awesome, really great modulators....however it feels a bit dated already in some respects...plus the workflow can be a bit clunky.

Bitwig was the last one i tried (couple of days ago) and im just amazed so far. It feels like it picked up where ableton left off. The modulators are life changing. Yes, live has them too (including loads of awesome 3rd party ones) but its the workflow in bitwig - it almost makes you try new things!!

Anyway, i have come away thinking the most advanced ones overall are bitwig and waveform. Which is crazy, because nobody seems to be using them!!!!

Can anybody comment on bitwigs efficiency with regards to consumption? I have noticed my cpu straining pretty hard - but i also have some new plugins which could be making the difference. Do the modulators tend to be pretty CPU intensive?
Thats pretty much my only concern at the moment. Other than the fact that i will miss push if i transition over. But seriously, at this point....its hard to find reasons not to be using bitwig. If you want the most advanced system...this seems to be it.
Old 3rd January 2019
Gear Head

i too was surprised that bitwig doesn't even show up in search results here. it already has more online reviews than i remember finding for decades old cubase the last time i looked for that. i was getting ready to start a thread.

here's my question:

after getting a heads up on bitwig here, i grabbed all the reviews i could find and almost gave up on it right away after reading a review for 1.0 that mentioned a lot of weaknesses, most of which i saw were fixed in 2.0 after i decided to learn more.

i really like the sound of the new modulators that are designed to work with both external gear and expanding the functions for VSTs. as i want a DAW that works with audio, VSTs & MIDI, it sounds like a perfect hub, especially for controlling a eurorack.

there's one thing though, even up to v2.3 that sounds like a deal killer for me.

reviews, at least what i can comprehend in them, having tried several freeware DAWs & VST hosts and not being able to do anything with any of them, make it sound like bitwig's almost useless for MIDI and requires some script writing hacker crap i've never heard of since my 1990s understanding of MIDI to make it work.

the reviews all mention "lousy MIDI controllers" requiring plugins to make it work. are the "controllers" all the reviewers lament references to dedicated EXTERNAL hardware controllers (surfaces) like those i've seen for other DAWs? my undesrstanding of those is that you can just get generic ones and be able to assign knobs & faders, but even a decade ago, doing that didn't require writing scripts.

i don't really understand what the reviews are talking about. MIDI is almost more important than audio to me. i want a sequencer (i still don't call 'em DAWs) that lets me run several instruments (channels as i recall) and to be able to do edits both drawing modulations as well as performing them with hardware controllers which are so super important to me that i always intened to use 2 or more for synth parameter & transport controls using a mouse or keyboard as little as possible.

is bitwig as "useless" for that as reviews make it sound? i don't want to learn a dozen programs to be able to sequence properly. heck, i don't even want to learn a DAW. i hate most counterintuitive software with a passion, but am willing to learn ONE DAW, and want it to be a life partner. BTW, kudos to audacity's programmers. i figured that one out in under an hour! THAT's the way ALL programs should work if hackers weren't so lazy and/or ergonomics challenged.

it doesn't help that half of reviews praise bitwig as streamlined and intuitive while others make it sound like a complicated hacker monster even worse than logic. it can't be both simple & complicated at the same time! it can be neither though. simple & intuitive is more my speed. that's why i always had my heart set on cubase until ableton came along.

could someone please clarify if the "lame MIDI" comments aren't about some esoteric "artificial intelligence" MIDI features (like all of the non-audio noodling junk i can't wrap my head around in modular synths) that i'd never use, or if it's about "busted MIDI" and an essentially useless sequencer in plain english? it doesn't make sense that a sequencer would require writing scripts for features that have been common for almost 30 years by now. i think the reviews are talking about some "newfangled MIDI 2.0" tricks i've never even heard of and wouldn't miss, or are just references to branded hardware controllers. most of what i know about MIDI is literally a century old.

thanks in advance for anyone that can help verify that bitwig actually IS just the right program for me and not as "MIDI busted" as reviews make it sound.
Old 6th January 2019
Gear Head

the silence was deafening

LOOK!

a tumbleweed!
Old 7th January 2019
Deleted 46dc28f
Quote:
Originally Posted by funktoon View Post

LOOK!

a tumbleweed!

Last edited by Deleted 46dc28f; 10th January 2019 at 04:30 AM.. Reason: Keepin' it in the family
Old 7th January 2019
Quote:
i too was surprised that bitwig doesn't even show up in search results here. it already has more online reviews than i remember finding for decades old cubase the last time i looked for that. i was getting ready to start a thread.

I sent you a PM with some video links, I think you'd be happy using Bitwig or Ableton Live. I do love Bitwig more, because it's the challenger and they have to make it extra kick ass to compete.
Old 7th January 2019
Gear Addict
Quote:

LOOK!

a tumbleweed!
The only way to find out if bitwig is for you is to download the demo!

I find the midi editing absolutely fine, but there are plenty of features in other DAWS not in Bitwig (and visa versa) so you realy need to see if what you need is in Bitwig, no one else can answer that for you...Cubase has far more advanced midi editing features, FL Studio a more advanced piano roll editor but I never used any of those features so it meant nothing to me. If you want to work with 'clips' the choice is Live or Bitwig and I think Bitwig has more advanced midi/linear sequencing.

Loads of midi hardware works out of the box, user have made scripts for other gear that work perfectly (bitwig has an advance scripting language that even lets you access the displays etc of external midi gear, it is a feature not a limitation)
Old 8th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
is bitwig as "useless" for that as reviews make it sound? i don't want to learn a dozen programs to be able to sequence properly. heck, i don't even want to learn a DAW. i hate most counterintuitive software with a passion, but am willing to learn ONE DAW, and want it to be a life partner. BTW, kudos to audacity's programmers. i figured that one out in under an hour! THAT's the way ALL programs should work if hackers weren't so lazy and/or ergonomics challenged.

it doesn't help that half of reviews praise bitwig as streamlined and intuitive while others make it sound like a complicated hacker monster even worse than logic. it can't be both simple & complicated at the same time! it can be neither though. simple & intuitive is more my speed. that's why i always had my heart set on cubase until ableton came along.

could someone please clarify if the "lame MIDI" comments aren't about some esoteric "artificial intelligence" MIDI features (like all of the non-audio noodling junk i can't wrap my head around in modular synths) that i'd never use, or if it's about "busted MIDI" and an essentially useless sequencer in plain english? it doesn't make sense that a sequencer would require writing scripts for features that have been common for almost 30 years by now. i think the reviews are talking about some "newfangled MIDI 2.0" tricks i've never even heard of and wouldn't miss, or are just references to branded hardware controllers. most of what i know about MIDI is literally a century old.

thanks in advance for anyone that can help verify that bitwig actually IS just the right program for me and not as "MIDI busted" as reviews make it sound.
I have no idea what reviews you are reading, but Bitwig is not Midi busted. It works great.

My guess is that a lot of the "lame MIDI" comments are from the very early days of Bitwig... or just lame impressions that people have made up based on something someone said.

Bitwig is really fun! Try the demo and see. Also, you are more likely to get more answers over in the KVR Bitwig forum
Old 9th January 2019
Nooooo, don't send people away to another forum please? Let's keep it here? there's enough Bitwig users on Gearslutz, they just haven't found this one yet.
Old 10th January 2019
Gear Addict

In Bitwig, I love that I can drag audio into a clip, then adjust the tempo in the clip, to find the perfect loop point. I don’t remember it being that easy in Live.

I still haven’t upgraded my subscription again. I’m on 2.3.5 and I’m pretty content.
Old 10th January 2019
Deleted 46dc28f
Any plans to throw up the Bitwig logo on the Daw Talk page?

Old 13th January 2019
I'll pass that on, thanks
Old 16th February 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
I have no idea what reviews you are reading, but Bitwig is not Midi busted. It works great.
not one, but TWO of the reviews i've read lament lack of "MIDI controllers". i'm not steeped in the specifics of MIDI, so i'm not sure what that means. the only thing i can imagine is they're talking about a lack of dedicated MIDI control SURFACES which should not really be a problem as the last time i checked... DECADES AGO, control surfaces can be mapped.

i'll make a mental note to skim through the reviews at home to provide exact quotes & links, but 2 reviewers made bitwig sound "unforgivably broken" & requiring you to buy a software patch you shouldn't have to to fix it.

BTW... funny tumbleweed smiley! never seen it before. bonus points for coming up with that.

yep... i should have known better than to try and repost it as i'm still image blocked here. oooooooh that's frustrating!
Old 17th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
i'll make a mental note to skim through the reviews at home to provide exact quotes & links, but 2 reviewers made bitwig sound "unforgivably broken" & requiring you to buy a software patch you shouldn't have to to fix it.
Make sure to post the date the review was published and which version they are talking about. Otherwise such reviews are meaningless.

But no, it is not unforgivably broken... or even broken at all

Best thing is to download the demo and try it with your own setup.
Old 17th February 2019
Gear Addict
Quote:

Bitwig is very stable (2.4.3), I also have Live Suit, Bigwig is IMO more stable due to the very advanced VST sandboxing (its normally the VST that crashes the DAW)- V2.5 has five selectable types of VST sandboxing!

There never has been a need to buy a patch to fix anything, its just the sort of crap spouted by people who don't use Bitwig and cant be bothered top read the facts. Bugfixes (and even minor updates) have been and are free for all versions irrespective of if you have a upgrade plan (2.4 has had 2.4.1 - 2.4.3 as updates for all users). The upgrade plan is only needed for 'new features' (upgrades) and you get this free for 12 months when you buy Bitwig (even including major releases like 3, which is very generous if you bought V2 eleven months ago...)
Attached Thumbnails
Bitwig Studio 2.4 announced-bitwig-sandbox.jpg  
Old 23rd February 2019
Gear Head

one of the reviews was for 1.2, but the other was for the current version i believe. when i post the comments, you guys can translate for me. as for downloading it... no can do. i'm on a library computer until i can find work here in hotel arizona.

FIVE YEARS... 300+ resumes/applications and still NADA!
Old 2nd March 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
the reviews all mention "lousy MIDI controllers" requiring plugins to make it work. are the "controllers" all the reviewers lament references to dedicated EXTERNAL hardware controllers (surfaces) like those i've seen for other DAWs? my undesrstanding of those is that you can just get generic ones and be able to assign knobs & faders, but even a decade ago, doing that didn't require writing scripts.
You didn’t include links to any of the comments you’re talking about, but my best guess is that they’re referring to DAW controllers like the Push, Akai APC, etc. — not MIDI support in general.

Bitwig uses a scripting language to support external controllers. The scripting language allows people with coding skills to “roll their own” support instead of waiting for Bitwig to do it. It’s a really smart and powerful approach but I understand how it’s mere existence could confuse or intimidate regular musicians who don’t happen to write code (i.e. most of them).

Luckily, you can ignore that technical detail entirely since a ton of scripts are already provided by Bitwig and the larger community: Bitwig | Controllers

Most of these scripts are pre-installed so you just pick your controller from a list like you would in any other DAW.

The undrerlying technology isn’t that important if you don’t plan to write or modify scripts yourself. The real question is whether Bitwig already supports your specific controller(s) of choice and to what degree. You didn’t ask about any specific controller so we can’t help answer that without more details.

Bitwig’s MIDI support in general is outstanding. It’s on par with most other DAWs in terms of sequencing and editing but the modulators and note FX are in another league. The note FX make it easy to apply MIDI transformations like diatonic pitch shifting and arpeggios. Other DAWs can do this, but not as easily or intuitively as Bitwig imo. The modulators can be routed to MIDI CC, effectively extending your existing MIDI gear with all power and flexibility of Bitwig’s entire modulation system. I don’t know of any DAW with that kind of MIDI super power built in. I guess Max for Live comes closest, but there’s a lot of additional complexity (and cost) compared to Bitwig modulation.

Bitwig also supports MPE and individual note expression, which is pretty rare among DAWs but only useful if you have MPE-capable hardware or plugins. MIDI 2.0 is something entirely different. It’s a new spec not yet supported by any hardware as far as I know.

In summary, I think you’re confusing a few negative comments about Bitwig’s support for a specific hardware controller (again, can’t be sure since you didn’t include links) with Bitwig’s support for MIDI sequencing and modulation, which is somewhere between “great” and “revolutionary” depending on what’s important to you.
Old 27th May 2019
Gear Head

i finally remembered to look the "MIDI controller issues" thing up, and it turns out that both reviews that had issues were for 1.0, so these might be fixed in 2.3. i could have sworn that one of these was a 2.3 review.

Quote:
The lack of MIDI-only track support means that it's not possible to address multitimbral VST plug-ins on multiple MIDI channels, as the required MIDI routing isn't available.
Quote:
...there's no way to generate notes (or MIDI) as the output of a track.
Quote:
CONS:
MIDI routing is weak and, hence, there's no multi-channel VST support.
https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/bitwig-studio

Quote:
MIDI CONTROLLERS
Bitwig Studio 1.0 natively supports some MIDI controllers with integrated functionality, and it has an open controller scripting API for creating custom mappings. However, you must know Javascript to use the API, and the number of controllers supported natively at launch was only 18, meaning that many users will be confined to Bitwig’s generic MIDI support. With that, you can set eight knobs or sliders on your controller to send MIDI CC# 20-27 to control Macros or other mappable controls. But MIDI support is very basic if you don’t have a supported controller or the know-how to write a controller script.

Supported controllers can make use of Bitwig’s smart adaptable controls: eight color-coded controls that dynamically shift as you move about the program. Certain controllers, like the Nektar Panarama line and some Livid Instruments boxes, offer much deeper integration.

THIS next quote is the one that freaked me out. i'm not really sure EXACTLY what any of these technobabble comments mean as i've never done anything but swear at the freeware DAWs i tried a few years ago that i couldn't get to do ANYTHING, unlike audacity which lets me multitrack audio with ease. on top of not knowing what this even means... when someone starts talking about hacking javascript & API... i'm all "heck no!"
Quote:
MIDI CONTROLLERS
Bitwig Studio 1.0 natively supports some MIDI controllers with integrated functionality, and it has an open controller scripting API for creating custom mappings. However, you must know Javascript to use the API, and the number of controllers supported natively at launch was only 18, meaning that many users will be confined to Bitwig’s generic MIDI support. .

Quote:
...I’d also want to buy a new MIDI controller with deep Bitwig integration and an additional collection of compatible soundware to round out what I would be missing from Live 9 Suite, which is a big overall expenditure. Because Bitwig Studio is so new, it doesn’t have the same MIDI controller support or giant user community that other established DAWs have yet.
https://djtechtools.com/2014/04/08/r...tion-software/

i'm guessing from everyone's reactions to my previous comments, these are either non-issues, or fixed in the latest version.

one semi-issue seems to be that some praise bitwig for it's simplicity, at least one review bemoans its complexity. if nothing else, i won't have to unlearn another DAW (i still prefer calling them sequencers)

outside of that, i'm really jazzed that instead of noodling with various analogue modules for the eurorack i'd like to build some day, i can do everything in bitwig, in a way that makes sense to me DRAWING & sequencing CVs without modules that make zero sense to me like maths or that are annoying analogue step sequencers. i learned from my contempt for the alesis HR16 drum machine that i owned that i despise step sequencing with a passion as well as pattern based sequencing, even at 256ppq.

i'd like to build a modular SYNTHESIZER, but want it to ONLY do what i tell it to. my sloppy beats... no click track EVER. bitwig's CV modulation sounds like the holy grail that'd make me like patching filters into my no noodling allowed dream modular... basically an ARP 2500 with 20 filter choices and a few modern updates like intellijels sick cylonix shapeshifter wavetable oscillator... no maths EVER! no onboard sequencer EVER! noodlers lose their minds and can't wrap their heads around a modular that only an instrument intended to actually be played.

Quote:
"you refuse to add maths etc. to your system... what's your point in even wanting a modular?"
answer: i want the equivilent of a room full of the world's best sounding synthesizers in one box... my favorite... a "classy sounding" ARP, a huge bass sounding moog, a grungy WASP, and a soaking wet yamaha etc. with the ability to layer THOSE for even fatter sounds. when it comes to modulars, all i really want, after the modulation basics (i think i'd really use envelope following a lot) is TONE. i can't stand quantized filter sweeps! ugh!
Old 27th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
i finally remembered to look the "MIDI controller issues" thing up, and it turns out that both reviews that had issues were for 1.0, so these might be fixed in 2.3. i could have sworn that one of these was a 2.3 review.

THIS next quote is the one that freaked me out. i'm not really sure EXACTLY what any of these technobabble comments mean as i've never done anything but swear at the freeware DAWs i tried a few years ago that i couldn't get to do ANYTHING, unlike audacity which lets me multitrack audio with ease. on top of not knowing what this even means... when someone starts talking about hacking javascript & API... i'm all "heck no!"
Yes, all of those quotes are out of date. Bitwig added full midi channel support and handles multi-timbral VST well. Midi routing is solid.

Bitwig supports more controllers now than back in v1. There is also the extension from Moss that supports a bunch of controllers:

Ableton Push 1 / 2
Akai APC40 / APC40mkII
Akai APCmini
Arturia Beatstep / Beatstep Pro
Mackie MCU (with additional support for icon QCon Pro X)
Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol mk I
Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol mk II
Native Instruments Maschine Mikro MkIII
Novation Launchpad Pro / MkII
Novation Remote SL MkII
Open Sound Control (OSC)

In addition to those controllers, Moss's extension includes the Flexi script. With Flexi, you can create your own custom controller setup for any controller without knowing any code. I'm not a coder, never touched the API, but I recently bought an obscure controller and using Flexi for the first time had my new controller working as desired without needing any help.
Old 31st May 2019
Gear Head

that's what i was thinking... like i think i said before, the reviewers were talking about hardware controllers when i know there have been "universal controllers" for at least a decade.

still, i DID find one reviewer lamenting bitwig's MIDI implementation even in 2.4

Quote:
Bitwig is sorely lacking in advanced MIDI tools
&
Quote:
FLStudio is a more mature product with slightly better project navigation, fantastic education resources, large helpful community and more fluid MIDI editing.
https://www.admiralbumblebee.com/mus...y-edition.html

that too sounds scary to me as MIDI editing is super essential to me... as an amputee, MIDI editing is literally my left hand. there's nothing as useless to me as modwheels on a keyboard. if i can't tweak velocities and modulations easily, that's a total deal breaker for me
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search