The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Bitwig registration problem (2018)
Old 22nd March 2018
  #1
Lives for gear
Bitwig registration problem (2018)

Heard about this, was interested, so downloaded the demo. After installing I find I have to register with their little site just to try the demo out, which is reetahrded right out of the gate. But even after I do that, when I try to activate, it doesn't recognize my account. Yes, I'm sure I typed my info correctly etc etc but it really doesn't matter, all that BS should be totally unnecessary. I should be able to download a demo/trial which installs all by itself, no stupid web site registration BS, to try it. Too bad it looked interesting...
Old 28th March 2018
  #2
Here for the gear
 

That's odd. I played with the demo for a few weeks, and didn't make an account until I purchased it.
Old 8th April 2018
  #3
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill5 View Post
Heard about this, was interested, so downloaded the demo. After installing I find I have to register with their little site just to try the demo out, which is reetahrded right out of the gate. But even after I do that, when I try to activate, it doesn't recognize my account. Yes, I'm sure I typed my info correctly etc etc but it really doesn't matter, all that BS should be totally unnecessary. I should be able to download a demo/trial which installs all by itself, no stupid web site registration BS, to try it. Too bad it looked interesting...
I had the same experience back in December. It was a mess, so I uninstalled their demo software which came bundled with a MIDI keyboard controller I had just bought.

Furthermore, though, I don't "get" Bitwig. The software seems to get great reviews by people, but I have watched their own demo videos on their site, and look over their web pages, and to be 100% honest, the software looks like digital vomit.

It's supposed to be a DAW??? Not in my view. (I come from Cakewalk Sonar experience).

Then their upgraded versions have a bunch of new features for electronic music making people, that I could not make sense out of.

DISCLAIMER: I'm a composer, so I look at music and the tools to achieve music differently than the generation of the past 20 years.
Old 8th April 2018
  #4
Gear Head
 
zfigz's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddskins View Post
I had the same experience back in December. It was a mess, so I uninstalled their demo software which came bundled with a MIDI keyboard controller I had just bought.

Furthermore, though, I don't "get" Bitwig. The software seems to get great reviews by people, but I have watched their own demo videos on their site, and look over their web pages, and to be 100% honest, the software looks like digital vomit.

It's supposed to be a DAW??? Not in my view. (I come from Cakewalk Sonar experience).

Then their upgraded versions have a bunch of new features for electronic music making people, that I could not make sense out of.

DISCLAIMER: I'm a composer, so I look at music and the tools to achieve music differently than the generation of the past 20 years.
i think it's a solid daw, especially for recording synths etc. really enjoying my time with it and have totally made the switch from my old daw of Live.
Old 12th April 2018
  #5
Gear Maniac
Bitwig has its upside. It's amazing for sound creation and fiddling about. As a traditional DAW, it works, but there are all these curious omissions and oddities. What actually made me stop using it was the 2.x interface which moved all the context sensitive commands to the top of the Window. How that was considered an improvement, I'll never understand, and the constant mousing to the top of the screen got old very quickly. Then I "discovered" Logic and gave up both BW and Live.
Old 13th April 2018
  #6
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbanzo View Post
That's odd. I played with the demo for a few weeks, and didn't make an account until I purchased it.
Plus one and I sold bitwig (for reasons that do not matter here)

I'm confused.
Old 30th April 2018
  #7
Gear Addict
 
channelite's Avatar
I guess you’ll need to create an account to download Bitwig. The first few months were a little tough for me with Bitwig, but now it’s the DAW I use. Like I’m not gonna upgrade to Live 10. Though I wish it had the same interface zoom that live has. Bitwig only does 25% zoom at a time while Live does 1% zoom. I felt 135% interface zoom was right for me.
Old 8th January 2019
  #8
Give it another shot, and contact the support at Bitwig if you can't get through, they're friendly and helpful.
Yeah I guess creating an account is useful.
@ johnnyboy5000 why not contact them with this suggestion? Seems a useful feature to me.

"looks like vomit"? It takes some getting used to, but the black and orange teints are very nice, late at night. I like it more than Logic's battleship greys.
Old 11th January 2019
  #9
JAT
Lives for gear
Bitwig is a bit odd, but solid software. It is great for making lines of music and the sampler is great for more than sampling and granular and wavetable synthesis. I’m slowly using it for mixing.
Old 31st January 2019
  #10
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddskins View Post
I had the same experience back in December. It was a mess, so I uninstalled their demo software which came bundled with a MIDI keyboard controller I had just bought.

Furthermore, though, I don't "get" Bitwig. The software seems to get great reviews by people, but I have watched their own demo videos on their site, and look over their web pages, and to be 100% honest, the software looks like digital vomit.

It's supposed to be a DAW??? Not in my view. (I come from Cakewalk Sonar experience).

Then their upgraded versions have a bunch of new features for electronic music making people, that I could not make sense out of.

DISCLAIMER: I'm a composer, so I look at music and the tools to achieve music differently than the generation of the past 20 years.
This is a bit old I know but...


If it came with your keyboard most likely that's the Bitwig 8-track version which is licensed (it gives you an 8-track limited version of Bitwig you can use. Kind of like Ableton Lite or Protools First or something like that). Thats probably why you have to create an account. Otherwise you can download and demo Bitwig without needing to create an account and just click Demo when it launches.

Bitwig makes more sense if you've ever used Ableton before. If so then Bitwig works pretty much the same. I know when I first tried to use Ableton so many years back (version 4) I didn't "get it" since I was coming from more traditional DAWs like Logic. It took a few years for me to force myself to get it finally when I bought Ableton 8. Once you get it it's extremely intuitive. Bitwig is the same. You just need to "get it" once you do you'll wonder why you didn't get something so simple before.

I get the digital vomit comment. The interface is pretty busy and it tries to make things as readily available on the screen as possible. Again there is a simplicity there once you understand the design philosophy. On the flip side, Bitwig seems to go out of its way to be as technical as possible in certain instances or naming things more technically than other DAWs. You can definitely tell that programmers are designing it.
Old 31st January 2019
  #11
Lives for gear
 
draig's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by apoclypse View Post
The interface is pretty busy
Doesn't look any busier to me than Logic, Reaper, Cubase or Live.
Old 31st January 2019
  #12
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by draig View Post
Doesn't look any busier to me than Logic, Reaper, Cubase or Live.
I beg to differ. The browser is busier for sure. By default the browser puts all instruments, effects, tools, containers in one long list. If you start adding smart collections it gets even busier. The Inspector panel is a bit busier imo than Logic, definitely more than Ableton which only shows those elements at the bottom of the screen and you have to enable them by default. Instruments in Bitwig have two places where you can edit settings Inspector and Device view. If you want to enable mono, single trigger notes, change polyphony etc, you do that from the inspector. Most other DAWs have those options inside of the instrument itself. Can be confusing if you are not used to it.

Let's compare Ableton's DS Clap vs Bitiwig's E-Clap instrument.

DS-Clap


E-Clap



One of them just looks cleaner imo. Easier to understand for users. That's just my opinion. The E-Clap is still usable but if I never touched a DAW before a lot of things in Bitwig would be really confusing.
Old 31st January 2019
  #13
Lives for gear
 
draig's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by apoclypse View Post
One of them just looks cleaner imo. Easier to understand for users. That's just my opinion. The E-Clap is still usable but if I never touched a DAW before a lot of things in Bitwig would be really confusing.
Yeah, one of them does look cleaner... the Bitwig one...
Old 31st January 2019
  #14
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by draig View Post
Yeah, one of them does look cleaner... the Bitwig one...
Cleaner isn't the word maybe easier to understand?
Old 31st January 2019
  #15
Lives for gear
 
draig's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by apoclypse View Post
I beg to differ. The browser is busier for sure. By default the browser puts all instruments, effects, tools, containers in one long list. If you start adding smart collections it gets even busier. The Inspector panel is a bit busier imo than Logic, definitely more than Ableton which only shows those elements at the bottom of the screen and you have to enable them by default. Instruments in Bitwig have two places where you can edit settings Inspector and Device view. If you want to enable mono, single trigger notes, change polyphony etc, you do that from the inspector. Most other DAWs have those options inside of the instrument itself. Can be confusing if you are not used to it.
The Bitwig pop-up browser is fantastic. I usually keep the regular browser closed cause I don't need it. Makes for a very clean and spacious work area.

With the pop-up broswer, I can add any device I want in about 3 seconds without even touching the mouse. Both Logic and Live suck in comparison.

The browser has solid tagging and sorting and it is fast. Live is like cold molasses. Logic is fast.

The Bitwig pop-up browser is also fantastic because if you have a track, with an instrument and recorded clips, you can select a different instrument plus preset in the browser and it adds it to the track so you can play it, tweak it etc. If you like it hit okay, if you want the original back, hit cancel. Freakin awesome!

The Bitwig Inspector has more useful info. And it is context sensitive so if you select a clip, it shows the pertinent info for the clip.

And it is a feature in Bitwig that some parameters for synths are in the Inspector. It means you can fold up the device in the device pane and save space and still be able to adjust some settings and edit modulations. Regarding the later, Bitwig blows Live out of the water and Logic doesn't even have that capability.
Old 31st January 2019
  #16
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by draig View Post
The Bitwig pop-up browser is fantastic. I usually keep the regular browser closed cause I don't need it. Makes for a very clean and spacious work area.

With the pop-up broswer, I can add any device I want in about 3 seconds without even touching the mouse. Both Logic and Live suck in comparison.

The browser has solid tagging and sorting and it is fast. Live is like cold molasses. Logic is fast.

The Bitwig pop-up browser is also fantastic because if you have a track, with an instrument and recorded clips, you can select a different instrument plus preset in the browser and it adds it to the track so you can play it, tweak it etc. If you like it hit okay, if you want the original back, hit cancel. Freakin awesome!

The Bitwig Inspector has more useful info. And it is context sensitive so if you select a clip, it shows the pertinent info for the clip.

And it is a feature in Bitwig that some parameters for synths are in the Inspector. It means you can fold up the device in the device pane and save space and still be able to adjust some settings and edit modulations. Regarding the later, Bitwig blows Live out of the water and Logic doesn't even have that capability.

This is not about capability it's about the UI. I already know about the pop-up browser. I've written about it on this forum. I'm not knocking Bitwig I'm saying that Bitwig seems to cater more to technical users. It would seem overly busy to someone who wasn't familiar with the DAW or DAWs in general.
Old 31st January 2019
  #17
Lives for gear
 
draig's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by apoclypse View Post
It would seem overly busy to someone who wasn't familiar with the DAW or DAWs in general.
Like I said, I don't think it is any busier than the other DAW's I have used a lot such as Live, Logic and Reaper. Every one of them can look busy or spartan depending on which panes are open at the time.

If you are talking about beginners, Bitwig is much easier to get started on than Logic.

Anyway, it's totally fine that we don't agree or approach things from a different perspective
Old 31st January 2019
  #18
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by draig View Post
Like I said, I don't think it is any busier than the other DAW's I have used a lot such as Live, Logic and Reaper. Every one of them can look busy or spartan depending on which panes are open at the time.

If you are talking about beginners, Bitwig is much easier to get started on than Logic.

Anyway, it's totally fine that we don't agree or approach things from a different perspective

Yeah I don't think. I also own/use a lot of DAWs (S1, Ableton, Logic, Bitwig, Reason, even FLStudio). We are not going to agree on this one so let's leave it at that.
Old 1st February 2019
  #19
Initially it looks like a lot of information, but the point is to offer everything you need right there on the screen. There are no menus with sub menus.
Once you start working with it, it will start to make sense: if I'm looking for something (I'm still learning) it's always in the place I look.
The information relevant to the process at hand is offered on the screen, and what is not needed is not shown. Clearly there's gone a lot of thought in it.

Take the example of the clap plugin. Great example thank you for that.
The parameters on the E-Clap are clearly laid out in three parts. Workflow is from left to right. There's no picture needed, everyone knows what a clap is. There's a consistency in the controls (all knobs), and all function in the expected manner.

The DS Clap plugin has wasted space (I'm not a fan of funny pictograms, if it's not needed. It's very hip but reminds me of some family entertainment all-in-one keyboard) The controls are not ordered from left to right but in three groups which are not logically connected. It is assumed that the three controls at the bottom are the ones you work with most, since these are larger, which makes for easy operation for most users I suppose, but I'll use all controls to shape a clap, so why make this selection? There are three different visual representations: three knobs and two kinds of each two numerical entries.
Since it's an eq (bandpass) why is it called "Tone"? The E-Clap tone shaper/equalizer has 2 parameters, not just one, frequency and Q. The "sloppy" parameter seems a random function. In bitwig you'd route a random generator to any control you want, to achieve the same. It's then possible to control the kind, and amount of random, and even shape that, with an LFO or envelope, if needed.
I could work with either, but the Bitwig one appeals to me much more, it's laid out as a basic function module with only the parameters unique to a clap tone shaping, while the DS Clap is more designed like a self contained FX unit.
Old 1st February 2019
  #20
Lives for gear
 
draig's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptil View Post
I could work with either, but the Bitwig one appeals to me much more, it's laid out as a basic function module with only the parameters unique to a clap tone shaping, while the DS Clap is more designed like a self contained FX unit.
It has to because Live doesn't have easy to use modulation like Bitwig does
Old 4th February 2019
  #21
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptil View Post
Initially it looks like a lot of information, but the point is to offer everything you need right there on the screen. There are no menus with sub menus.
Once you start working with it, it will start to make sense: if I'm looking for something (I'm still learning) it's always in the place I look.
The information relevant to the process at hand is offered on the screen, and what is not needed is not shown. Clearly there's gone a lot of thought in it.

Take the example of the clap plugin. Great example thank you for that.
The parameters on the E-Clap are clearly laid out in three parts. Workflow is from left to right. There's no picture needed, everyone knows what a clap is. There's a consistency in the controls (all knobs), and all function in the expected manner.

The DS Clap plugin has wasted space (I'm not a fan of funny pictograms, if it's not needed. It's very hip but reminds me of some family all-in-one keyboard) The controls are not ordered from left to right but in three groups which are not logically connected. It is assumed that the three controls at the bottom are the ones you work with most, since these are larger, which makes for easy operation for most users I suppose, but I'll use all controls to shape a clap, so why make this selection? There are three different visual representations: three knobs and two kinds of each two numerical entries.
Since it's an eq (bandpass) why is it called "Tone"? The E-Clap tone shaper/equalizer has 2 parameters, not just one, frequency and Q. The "sloppy" parameter seems a random function. In bitwig you'd route a random generator to any control you want, to achieve the same. It's then possible to control the kind, and amount of random, and even shape that, with an LFO or envelope, if needed.
I could work with either, but the Bitwig one appeals to me much more, it's laid out as a basic function module with only the parameters unique to a clap tone shaping, while the DS Clap is more designed like a self contained FX unit.
Okay. So how do you tune the E-Clap? The E-Clap has as many parameters as DS Clap but DS Clap is immediately more useful imo without having to faff about with modulators. DS Clap also imo sounds better but since this is about the user interface I'll keep it to that. The DS Clap may be more cutesy with the pic there but the number of parameters is the same as E-Clap but the DS Clap gives you better immediate results imo. All the drum synths in Ableton are pretty much like that. Very consistent, easy to use and more immediate results.

The E-Clap versus DS Clap may have not have been the best comparison. A better one would be the DS HH vs E-Hat.

My argument isn't that Ableton is better, it's that if someone who has never touched something like Bitwig before it will be very confusing and daunting. The OP I responded too originally said that coming from a DAW like Cubase/Logic they were having a hard time getting into Bitwig.

Most new users are looking for immediacy, not to build something from scratch or have to learn a new way of dealing with instruments. I personally like that about Bitwig, its why I prefer it to Ableton, but I can definitely see how Bitwig's workflow and design choices may put off some users who are less technically minded.
Old 4th February 2019
  #22
Lives for gear
 
draig's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by apoclypse View Post
Okay. So how do you tune the E-Clap?
the knob that says frequency
Old 4th February 2019
  #23
Lives for gear
 
draig's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by apoclypse View Post
My argument isn't that Ableton is better, it's that if someone who has never touched something like Bitwig before it will be very confusing and daunting. The OP I responded too originally said that coming from a DAW like Cubase/Logic they were having a hard time getting into Bitwig.
Many people have a hard time switching DAW's regardless of which one to which one. Over the years I've heard people say that in both directions between all the popular DAW's.

Just because some people say they have a hard time switching to Bitwig does not make it so for a majority of people. I've heard various people say just the opposite... that Bitwig is the easiest DAW they have used to just get to doing stuff. From a pretty limited dataset, I don't believe either conclusion can be reliably drawn.
Old 4th February 2019
  #24
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by draig View Post
the knob that says frequency
The knob that says frequency affects the filter of the clap not the pitch. If I turn the Q all the way up then I can add a pitch element to the clap but that's not the same thing.

I can add a Pitch Shifter device as an effect but imo that doesn't sound very good. It works but it's not ideal.
Old 5th February 2019
  #25
Quote:
Originally Posted by apoclypse View Post
The knob that says frequency affects the filter of the clap not the pitch. If I turn the Q all the way up then I can add a pitch element to the clap but that's not the same thing.

I can add a Pitch Shifter device as an effect but imo that doesn't sound very good. It works but it's not ideal.
The E Clap plugin is using multiple bursts of (white) noise as sound source. It contains all frequencies so there's no point in shifting them (unless you like the artefacts that come with this effect). To make an electronic clap sound, you make a selection, using the (bandpass) filter. Q is the width of the filter curve (steep (small selection) or wide (large selection)) The amount (amplitude) is fixed.

I use it layered with clap samples, unless I'm going for a really dry electronic sound.
Old 5th February 2019
  #26
Quote:
Originally Posted by draig View Post
Many people have a hard time switching DAW's regardless of which one to which one. Over the years I've heard people say that in both directions between all the popular DAW's.

Just because some people say they have a hard time switching to Bitwig does not make it so for a majority of people. I've heard various people say just the opposite... that Bitwig is the easiest DAW they have used to just get to doing stuff. From a pretty limited dataset, I don't believe either conclusion can be reliably drawn.
That mirrors my experience. Put yourself in a designer's shoes: When you design a new DAW, is the leading idea to copy some other popular one, or to build something new, from the ground up?

There's other software that I find hard to get a grip on. Everyone is different, and there's a learning curve with Bitwig, just like any other complex program. But I find it a rewarding experience to get deeper into this one, because it's got a bunch of neat tricks, and I didn't have a WTF moment yet. I come from Logic, and never owned Ableton Live, working with the clip launcher was unfamiliar to me.

In general: If you're serious about your tools, you have to invest time in it. The more complex, the more time you spend learning it, and this has a return in experience. The more experience, the faster you'll become, using your tools. If you find that the idea of the designer doesn't fit with yours then move on and get something else. No one is forcing anyone to like something, just because they themselves can get it to work. But, if you give it a shot, at least make it a fair one. Or it's time wasted from the start, hopping from one app to another, regardless of the learning curve. That's my opinion anyway.

Old 5th February 2019
  #27
< @ bill5 was your registration problem resolved? It's been a year now, so I'm closing the thread. Let's discuss ergonomics and what you do and don't like in a new thread? >
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump