Old 12th January 2017
Gear Maniac

Bitwig 2 coming

Hello

Bitwig 2 is on it's way!

https://www.bitwig.com/en/bitwig-stu...-studio-2.html
Old 12th January 2017
Lives for gear

Bitwig 2 looks like it will be quite an innovative release. A fully modular concept and design is something new to the DAW world, AFAIK. It cool to see companies like Bitwig (and a few others like Roli with Seaboard) bringing something new to the table for the music production world.
Old 12th January 2017
Here for the gear
Bitwig 2 announced

So I just got a mail - Bitwig 2 is announced. Will Ableton respond?
Old 12th January 2017
nice one!
Old 12th January 2017
Gear Guru

Not letting all the early adopters get part of 2.0 without a fee is a huge mistake I reckon. Feel like an idiot having bought it early, put it to one side to mature, because it wasn't ready, frankly, and all the while thinking it will come good and feeling good about helping it to happen by buying in early.

Well, doesn't feel as great now. Cheers. If I had known I would have waited to buy it until it actually WAS ready.
Old 12th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
Not letting all the early adopters get part of 2.0 without a fee is a huge mistake I reckon. Feel like an idiot having bought it early, put it to one side to mature, because it wasn't ready, frankly, and all the while thinking it will come good and feeling good about helping it to happen by buying in early.

Well, doesn't feel as great now. Cheers. If I had known I would have waited to buy it until it actually WAS ready.
Why would you buy something that's not fit for your purpose though?

That's not their mistake...
Old 12th January 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Randolph View Post
Why would you buy something that's not fit for your purpose though?

That's not their mistake...
No, correct, it was my mistake as it turns out.
Old 12th January 2017
Here for the gear
I don't get it. Early customers who had been with Bitwig for more than 2 years will have to pay for the upgrade, but customers buying now will have vsrsion 2 for free. That's just dissapointing for me
Old 12th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigahertz View Post
I don't get it. Early customers who had been with Bitwig for more than 2 years will have to pay for the upgrade, but customers buying now will have vsrsion 2 for free. That's just dissapointing for me
You've used Bitwig for 2 years... people buying now haven't.

If you didn't get your value in those 2 years then that isn't their job to make it up to you.
Old 12th January 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:

If you didn't get your value in those 2 years then that isn't their job to make it up to you.
Well, I haven't had use of Bitwig for two years, as it didn't have its functionality sorted for quite some time. And a lot of us who bought it anyway to support the developers, fully knowing it would take a little time to get to where it would become interesting now get to throw some more notes to get part of the start of interesting. You clearly don't see it, but I guarantee you, there will be rather a few of us staring at it right now, and not much feeling the love.....
Old 12th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

Many months ago I left Bitwig for the Ableton pastures. It sits on the shelf. To think that this release incorporates feature requests as simple as spectrograms on the EQ, items long clamored for by the user community. There's no think-tank behind the EQ, Compressor, and Filters like Andy at Cytomic, either. To think you have to pay the price of V1 for the sundry updates that more or less get Bitwig sort of in line with Live is humorous. There was no mention of improved WARPing, to boot! As it stands, the functionality is piss-poor comparatively.

For those not in the know, WARPing is part of Ableton's raison d'être.

I'm certainly not complaining as I could care less. If I want V3, it will be the same price as V2. Maybe they'll even do a deal with elastique by then if they manage to stay afloat and independent. For now, Ableton has me covered and there's more third party content, videos, and a much larger user community for Live overall.

The only commercial training videos in existence are three (yes 3) done by Ask and one (yes 1) by Groove3. There are hundreds to choose from for Live, and Groove3 does a good job with it with dozens of videos, as does Sonic Academy, Ask, F9, ADSR, Bassgorilla, and the list goes on. Check out the Bitwig board on another well known site, its home base, to see how disappointing this information is to some early adopters.

It was akin to a business decision for me to move on from Bitwig to Live, and I'm not looking back. Tomorrow could be another story, but again that's theoretically V3 territory.
Old 13th January 2017
Here for the gear
Quote:

I was waiting for some big updates for just too long. Bitwig served me only to some extent because it started to behave more mature around 1.3. Still it's far, far away from what I expected to be in 2 years. And regarding included tools for printing final mixes, it's behind major DAWs, even Reaper. Now I feel that I should buy Live earlier because what's the point in supporting smaller dev teams?
I don't say it wasn't fun with Bitwig, all the best for them. But even no special price for early adopters for the update that should be really 1.1 or 1.2? That's why I feel dissapointed.
Old 13th January 2017
Gear Addict
still no negative track delay (a function every other daw on this planet i'm aware of has). so no money from me.
Old 13th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I was waiting for some big updates for just too long. Bitwig served me only to some extent because it started to behave more mature around 1.3. Still it's far, far away from what I expected to be in 2 years. And regarding included tools for printing final mixes, it's behind major DAWs, even Reaper. Now I feel that I should buy Live earlier because what's the point in supporting smaller dev teams?
I don't say it wasn't fun with Bitwig, all the best for them. But even no special price for early adopters for the update that should be really 1.1 or 1.2? That's why I feel dissapointed.
Feeling disappointed is understandable.

Feeling like they owe you something beyond what they advertised as a product when you bought it... that's not very reasonable. That is what I'm responding to.
Old 15th January 2017
Lives for gear
Whether I have to pay for upgrade or not, I'm all in. Been waiting for these features for a while, especially crossfades.
Old 15th January 2017
Gear Addict
Quote:
Exactly. The only thing I care about in v2 besides MTC: "We’ve done a lot of work under the hood to revamp MIDI handling in Bitwig Studio; improving sync and note timing."
I payed 212€ for Bitwig Studio V1 and now, they want another 160€ for fixing bugs. Nope.
I have to get Cubase anyways...
Old 15th January 2017
Gear Addict

they're still in business??
Old 16th January 2017
Here for the gear

169 $ for 12 months is not a good deal.

This license model is getting a lot of negativity in the forums and is turning away lot's of old or potential new users, myself included. Check the kvr bitwig forum or other places and you will see a small **** storm and for a very good reason.

If you want to keep up with bitwig for 3 years and have access to support and bugfixes it will cost you a whopping 507 $ if you already own version 1.
I don't know of any other DAW that is asking for such a steep upgrade/support price.

What makes it really steep is that if you don't pay again after 12 months you will not be getting any bugfixes because it covers only that period. Even if you are not forced to buy the update you have no choice if you want the bugfixes and support.

From the Bitwig website :

Why is this upgrade plan better than our previous model?
We will be able to release key features as they are ready - instead of holding them back for major releases. This enables us to offer you new feature and content updates more regularly.
Additionally, if you're a new customer, you won't need to worry about any potential upcoming releases when buying your license, as any software upgrade (or update) will be free of charge within the first 12 months - from the day you registered it in your Bitwig user account.

If they come up with lots of new features during that period there will be bugs. This is normal in software development. But if you look at their history you will know some bugs take a long time to be fixed. It can be more then a year for certain bugs.
Also there will be a lot of pressure on their shoulders to deliver enough new features to justify this 169 $ for 12 months plan. This will inevitably take away time for development of stability and bug hunt. It will focus resources on features instead. It will be extremely hard to find the right balance. Every new feature has to be tested in a beta phase before getting out and this just takes time. If you look at other DAW developpers and Bitwig's own history, you know it is not realistic to expect a big stream of new features if they are coded in house and this is what Bitwig has been about until now.
You have to license outside tech and add in things that are developped by other companies if you want to grow quickly in features and content ( Example: Studio one => Melodyne or bundle vst's in the DAW from other makers ). Otherwise, development stays a slow process. I think there is a very slim chance that they start adding outside tech.
That development is slow is also why we don't see major versions every year from the big DAW players. It just takes time.

If they want people to buy the update again after 12 months for 169 $ or add a major version number to Bitwig, they will still play the game that every DAW developer plays. Keep some features stashed away for release and only make them available with the next big version. Thinking that this new license model somehow prevents this is wishful thinking and seems very naive i'm afraid. Why would people pay again the 169 $ fee otherwise ? For support ? I know that only time will tell but beware of promises as Bitwig has already made some they have not kept. Free access to the under the hood modular architecture and collaboration are still not there.

All in all this license model doesn't seem a very good deal and it makes Bitwig one of the most expensive DAW on the market, although it still is far from mature and lot's of things are missing. No video support for example and lack of content compared to other DAW's. So vote with your wallet against this. I don't want this license model and i sure as hell don't want other developers to do the same as Bitwig. You sometimes have to say no when a price is exaggerated otherwise it becomes the new normal.

Even if i must admit that Bitwig 2.0 looks sweet it doesn't justifies itself to be that expensive.
Old 17th February 2017
Here for the gear

I have no proof, but if I recall right, the really early adopters were promised updates free forever. At least for a long, long time. If they decide to move to a subscription/annual fee pricing, this 1.0 was the first and only Bitwig i ever bought.
Old 17th February 2017
Gear Head

Bitwig is polished good looking program that does some cool things for version 1
but my guitar plugins (desktop bias-amplitube 4)
sounds bad.
i believe they ask too much for so immature version
Bitwig Studio 2 will cost 379 EUR
thats a lot of money.
Old 22nd April 2017
Here for the gear

Experimenting with some of the new mod options in version 2.0 100% Bitwig instruments and effects.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDikDUUqk4U&t=321s

Enjoy!
Old 25th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Feeling disappointed is understandable.

Feeling like they owe you something beyond what they advertised as a product when you bought it... that's not very reasonable. That is what I'm responding to.
A company that rewards newcomers more than those who have been loyal to them is a company I respect less than one that does.
Old 28th April 2017
Here for the gear

Is there an audio to midi function?
Old 16th May 2017
Lives for gear

How is bitwig doing at low buffers for you guys?
Old 28th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Two Times View Post
Quick question, don't mean to derail. I have been using Bitwig for a while, here and there. I'm on 1. I have a song I'm working on with about 8 VST instruments and hardly any effects. At 512 buffer/48 khz I get popping and clicking. I bounce all the tracks "In place" and they are all now audio. I still get the same pops and clicks/latency. Does Bitwig still have the VSTs hidden and running? I shouldn't get any latency problems on a 2015 MBP i7 with just 8 audio tracks.
Bitwig unusable at buffers lower than 1024 gfx related
Old 29th May 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Karloff View Post
thank you
Old 14th September 2017
Gear Addict
2.2 Beta 1.

https://www.bitwig.com/en/17/bitwig-studio-2_2.html

Better and Better every update....the best DAW by far is you use CV.....
Old 14th September 2017
Gear Addict
2.2 Beta 1.

NEW Sample & Hold Modulator.
NEW Ableton Link support.
NEW Added Dual Display (Studio/Touch) profile.
NEW Time Shift Device.
NEW Audio Rate Modulator.
NEW Quantize Modulator.
NEW Polynom Modulator.
FIXED Engine crash when connecting engine to a project that contains a bypassed HW Instrument.
FIXED Engine crash sometimes when switching projects.
FIXED Note modulators still don't affect notes before they play.
FIXED When moving multiple notes with the same key over other notes using arrow keys, the existing notes might get truncated in some cases.
FIXED Values Can Not Be Confirmed via Numerical Block Enter Key.
FIXED "Save Preset To Library" dialog: TAB key doesn't switch from Tags to Preset desicription (+ [SUG] "Category" selector).
FIXED Sampler not keytracking correctly.
FIXED Delete button works like backspace in text editor.
FIXED Bounce/In Place freezes when external clock is being received.
FIXED Delete key does not update the text field in large text editor (eg: preset's description).
FIXED Steps Modulator: when Loop is OFF, Modulator jumps back to the first step after completion of the cycle, instead of staying on the last step.
FIXED ALSA: improve recovery when sound card is brutally disconnected.
FIXED Crash when layer editing in a hybrid track with audio background.
FIXED Consolidating clips with RAW audio in them results in the audio playing outside of the clip boundary.
FIXED Button to enable automatic size of audio lanes is sometimes not visible when it should.
FIXED Reporting tempo 0 to VST plug-in instances.
IMPROVED Let the comb filter go down to 20 Hz.
IMPROVED Smooth/Glide for the step sequencer.
IMPROVED Better support for resizing of plug-in windows.
IMPROVED Support DPI Aware plug-ins on Windows (if they implement PreSonus Plug-In Extensions).
IMPROVED Better user experience for configuring Audio Devices.
IMPROVED Remember plugin window position.
IMPROVED Make HW CV Instrument wider.
IMPROVED The search field from the library on the side panel should be the same for each content type.
IMPROVED Added Single Trigger option to ADSR & AHDSR modulators (useful only in mono-mode).
IMPROVED Update plugin window title in real-time.
IMPROVED Scripting API: new API to copy slots or scenes.
IMPROVED Remember sample auto preview and synchronize to song tempo from the sample preview in the preferences.
IMPROVED Let Macro and Macro-4 be polyphonic.
IMPROVED Add pan swap to the Tool device.
IMPROVED Better workflow for selecting clips & time in the arranger to show content in the editor.
IMPROVED Added touch keyboard to both single display profiles.
IMPROVED Sampler's start and loop region is now polyphonic.
IMPROVED Sampler now supports audio rate pitch modulation.
IMPROVED It is now possible to use more than one midi controller of the same model (e.g. Launchpad) at the same time.
IMPROVED If a plugin takes a long time to scan notify the user and give them the option to skip that plugin.
IMPROVED Improved Arturia Keylab 25/49/61/88 scripts.
IMPROVED Improved Audio & Note Playback Engine.
IMPROVED Removed legato for raw audio and made working with sample play stop (in seconds) vs event end (in beats) more clear.
Old 14th September 2017
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLiC View Post
2.2 Beta 1.
NEW Time Shift Device.
nice tehy finally admit that its paramount to have negative track delay for alot of applications. but doing it as a cumbersome device instead of a basic track feature is beyond me.
Old 14th September 2017
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by hansi View Post
nice tehy finally admit that its paramount to have negative track delay for alot of applications. but doing it as a cumbersome device instead of a basic track feature is beyond me.
On that basis they also finally admitted that it is paramount to be able to feed modulation signals into mathematical formulas....

;-)

PS, its is 'not' a basic track feature because it is so much more than that, being able to move a single hi hat from within a rack (or hardware input) and then 'modulate' to animate the track delay (say with LFO time synced or S and H) to get flams, fades and all kids of cool stuff (include gradual slowing down, slipping, humanising)

Last edited by SLiC; 15th September 2017 at 10:14 AM.. Reason: added a PS
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search