Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   Best Studio Gear (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/best-studio-gear/)
-   -   Top Ten Most Popular DAWs (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/best-studio-gear/1211889-top-ten-most-popular-daws.html)

oceantracks 6th May 2019 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by auriel (Post 13966007)
Is Cubase not a thing any more? Also, I found it staggering that SONAR is not only not on the list, but not #1 lol...I know this is a popularity ranking, but wow does it look SO much better than all the others, and has a feature set that is staggering and oh btw, its now free...what is wrong with people? :)

Cubase is a wonderful program, I'd use it more but it can't do vari speed like PT and Logic. So I stay in PT. Plus PT's VCAs actually work properly.

Though I used to use it, I find Logic to be like walking in a haunted house lol

jason kalman 6th May 2019 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oceantracks (Post 13966011)
Cubase is a wonderful program, I'd use it more but it can't do vari speed like PT and Logic. So I stay in PT. Plus PT's VCAs actually work properly.

Though I used to use it, I find Logic to be like walking in a haunted house lol

Try running tons of VIs on Pro Tools and you'd be glad to move over to Logic. Plus haunted houses are fun :)

jason kalman 6th May 2019 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by auriel (Post 13966007)
Is Cubase not a thing any more? Also, I found it staggering that SONAR is not only not on the list, but not #1 lol...I know this is a popularity ranking, but wow does it look SO much better than all the others, and has a feature set that is staggering and oh btw, its now free...what is wrong with people? :)

Sounds like you found the right DAW for your workflow. Different workflows sometimes mandate a different DAW. Being tied to one DAW is silly anyway. They all have their strengths and weaknesses.

oceantracks 6th May 2019 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jason kalman (Post 13966367)
Try running tons of VIs on Pro Tools and you'd be glad to move over to Logic. Plus haunted houses are fun :)

I run them all the time, no problem with VE PRO....

jason kalman 7th May 2019 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oceantracks (Post 13966382)
I run them all the time, no problem with VE PRO....

I'm assuming VE PRO is the host, because Pro Tools certainly can't handle large VI counts on its own, regardless of how powerful your computer is.

oceantracks 7th May 2019 12:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jason kalman (Post 13966458)
I'm assuming VE PRO is the host, because Pro Tools certainly can't handle large VI counts on its own, regardless of how powerful your computer is.

VE PRO is the standard for hosting lots of VIs, no matter what program you are in.

PT has gotten better if you are just talking about a handful of them, but orchestral stuff there is no better option.

If you don't know it, check it out, it's really super!

jason kalman 7th May 2019 01:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oceantracks (Post 13966463)
VE PRO is the standard for hosting lots of VIs, no matter what program you are in.

PT has gotten better if you are just talking about a handful of them, but orchestral stuff there is no better option.

If you don't know it, check it out, it's really super!

Thanks, sounds like I need to. I do like non-orchestral synth sounds and other VIs. That is where the problem lies with Pro Tools. If I want to use NI or Spectrasonics, PTs quickly loses CPU power despite me running an iMac Pro 10 core with 64 gig of ram. I should be able to run VIs for days. But for orchestral arrangements, perhaps VE PRO is the solution.

oceantracks 7th May 2019 01:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jason kalman (Post 13966471)
Thanks, sounds like I need to. I do like non-orchestral synth sounds and other VIs. That is where the problem lies with Pro Tools. If I want to use NI or Spectrasonics, PTs quickly loses CPU power despite me running an iMac Pro 10 core with 64 gig of ram. I should be able to run VIs for days. But for orchestral arrangements, perhaps VE PRO is the solution.

Here's a link:

https://www.vsl.co.at/en/Software/Vienna_Ensemble_Pro

PT has always had problems with Spectrasonics stuff, like Omnisphere, and has sporadic problems with Kontakt, which you can't really avoid using nowadays.

That's why I shifted over to VE PRO. It can be a bit daunting at first but once you get it, just set up a template in Pro Tools (or whatever DAW) that is connected to your VE PRO main template. You might have a bunch of Kontakt instances in VE PRO, several Omnispheres, etc, and you save that.

Now, every time you start up PT, you choose your PT/VE PRO Template and off you go. No more set up, no more errors. It's pretty wonderful.

Groove 3 online has some great tutorials for it and there's stuff on YouTube.

Finally, here's a nice intro to it:

https://www.jonathanwrightmusic.com/...-ensemble-pro/

Good luck!

Tom

jason kalman 7th May 2019 01:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oceantracks (Post 13966481)
Here's a link:

PT has always had problems with Spectrasonics stuff, like Omnisphere, and has sporadic problems with Kontakt, which you can't really avoid using nowadays.

That's why I shifted over to VE PRO. It can be a bit daunting at first but once you get it, just set up a template in Pro Tools (or whatever DAW) that is connected to your VE PRO main template. You might have a bunch of Kontakt instances in VE PRO, several Omnispheres, etc, and you save that.

Now, every time you start up PT, you choose your PT/VE PRO Template and off you go. No more set up, no more errors. It's pretty wonderful.

Good luck!

Tom

Tom, thank you so much! What an informative post kfhkh

elegentdrum 7th May 2019 02:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thatizright (Post 13482312)
Studio One 4 is spanking all of them! kfhkh

If I could choke a Cymbal, I would use it!

Diogo C 11th May 2019 02:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oceantracks (Post 13966481)
Here's a link:

Good luck!

Tom

This is interesting. I'm confined to a laptop for the foreseeable future, but I do have a desktop that's been sitting idle on the studio. Will look into VE PRO, thanks for that tip on the video.

oceantracks 12th May 2019 04:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diogo C (Post 13975863)
This is interesting. I'm confined to a laptop for the foreseeable future, but I do have a desktop that's been sitting idle on the studio. Will look into VE PRO, thanks for that tip on the video.

No problem, it is a game changing app, no question.

toofanstudio 30th May 2019 09:01 PM

Protools

Because , now a time , it’s very stable , strong and standard in the big studio format .
Good surround option .
Good support for big console .
Good support for nice plugin
Good DAW for big project .
Easy plugging into DAW , and nice quality.
Good preset .
Nice mixer

paulwr 2nd June 2019 04:37 PM

Can't say I understand the value of this list. Top ten DAW list with only seven DAW's shown. Pro Tools and Cubase not on it. Have I missed something?

Danzemusic 3rd June 2019 05:40 AM

:heh::heh::heh: so true!
Quote:

Originally Posted by paulwr (Post 14015122)
Can't say I understand the value of this list. Top ten DAW list with only seven DAW's shown. Pro Tools and Cubase not on it. Have I missed something?

toofanstudio 3rd June 2019 02:27 PM

Quote:

because pro tools and cubase don't need to marketing tricks for advertise .

machinesworking 11th June 2019 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toofanstudio (Post 14016567)
because pro tools and cubase don't need to marketing tricks for advertise .

got nothing to do with that assumption, both were on the list and just disappeared.. no idea why.

Again, this isn't a list of anything but the most talked about DAWs on Gearslutz, not your favorite DAW etc.

Hoghat 21st January 2020 03:47 AM

Quote:

Lol... we’re down to 4 now... I guess this is a Hunger Games type thing maybe? Who will be the lone survivor? Stay tuned!

stixstudios 23rd January 2020 09:41 AM

^^ teehee :)

Jay Rose 24th January 2020 10:17 PM

For what kind of work? I do film and TV post. After a long shootout where I ran parallel with PT and Nuendo, I went with Nuendo. My clients and I appreciate the speed and customization, and I have absolutely no trouble interchanging with PT sound studios or editors on Avid. YMMV.

Heck, if you're primarily doing radio spots and promos, and both speed and incredibly fast learning curve are important, find a used Orban Audicy. It was the Cadillac of radio production some years ago, and still can't be beat for that particular purpose.

nightchef 22nd June 2020 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoghat (Post 14476403)
Lol... we’re down to 4 now... I guess this is a Hunger Games type thing maybe? Who will be the lone survivor? Stay tuned!

And then there were 3....what on earth is going on here?

FWIW, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that if there is a universe in which Harrison Mixbus ever belonged on this list in the first place, there is certainly not one in which it deserves to be one of 3 left standing.

Phil Cibley 22nd June 2020 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by henge (Post 13284757)
Yeah the musicians composition,arranging,mixing and playing skills have nothing to do with quality...it's the DAW's fault.bumpkin

+1. I'm doing just fine with Reaper for MIDI and Mixbus for mixing thank you.

oceantracks 22nd June 2020 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nightchef (Post 14814817)
And then there were 3....what on earth is going on here?

FWIW, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that if there is a universe in which Harrison Mixbus ever belonged on this list in the first place, there is certainly not one in which it deserves to be one of 3 left standing.

Moved from PT to Cubase Pro last year and have not looked back.

TH

bgulian 24th June 2020 03:20 AM

Moved from Logic to Pro Tools 2 years ago and have not looked back. I do have both Reaper and Mixbus on my Mac and I break them out when a new version comes along hoping they will be good enough to free me from the incredibly expensive bondage of PT. Alas... "good enough" is totally subjective. I'm a software developer by day so any DAW that comes with a programming language kind of says "work" to me.

bill5 20th September 2020 02:11 AM

Now there are only 2 on the "Ten Most Popular" list :facepalm:

Who will win this bizarre cage match??