Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   Best Studio Gear (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/best-studio-gear/)
-   -   Top Ten Most Popular DAWs (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/best-studio-gear/1211889-top-ten-most-popular-daws.html)

ponzi 23rd August 2018 04:05 PM

If it was the list of the top 15 most popular daws, I wonder if it could be completely filled out. Or at least with products with more than 1% market share. History shows us that the capabilities today's daws are not in any respect holding people back. To give the usual example, the Beatles did a pretty good job with 4 to 8 track recorders and none of the convenience of even the most primitive daw. I suspect a lot of blocked creatives have convinced themselves that if only the daw was perfect, the music would flow. Easy trap to get into, but a trap it is.

scottym 23rd August 2018 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thatizright (Post 13482312)
Studio One 4 is spanking all of them! kfhkh

Despite being the most recent and pro actively developed of DAW's out there, Studio One 4 isn't spanking anything... it's far from perfect comparison wise with other DAW's like Cubase, in fact it's critically broken for a large portion of users from how version 3.56 was as you already know from the numerous threads surrounding Studio One 4.

RobinL 23rd August 2018 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottym (Post 13483378)
Despite being the most recent and pro actively developed of DAW's out there, Studio One 4 isn't spanking anything... it's far from perfect comparison wise with other DAW's like Cubase, in fact it's critically broken for a large portion of users from how version 3.56 was as you already know from the numerous threads surrounding Studio One 4.

It's a common trend I see with "newer" DAWs.
People who use it at the service level (an audio interface and recording) love the software but people who use it deeper with outboard gear, servers etc. usually stay at the big dogs (Nuendo, ProTools) do it working much better with that.

Which makes me wonder, is there a focus with that type of software or is the trend now to focus mainly on the sole musicians?

Jaybird 23rd August 2018 08:10 PM

Its Fruity loops, " we have over 30,000 people every day downloading and installing the FL Studio demo alone. "
Does not make it the best. thats their quote ---> How do I get an Image-Line Account? hooppie

spectacular g 24th August 2018 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobinL (Post 13483600)
It's a common trend I see with "newer" DAWs.
People who use it at the service level (an audio interface and recording) love the software but people who use it deeper with outboard gear, servers etc. usually stay at the big dogs (Nuendo, ProTools) do it working much better with that.

Which makes me wonder, is there a focus with that type of software or is the trend now to focus mainly on the sole musicians?

Studio One Pro v3.5.6 along with a Quantum and DP88 is really working well here for a tracking solution. I also find it to be quite capable for mixing in the box.

That said, until another daw has the power of Sequoia and Samplitudes object based editing I'll always use that for mixing and mastering.

peachhG

thatizright 25th August 2018 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottym (Post 13483378)

Yep it is that's why you bought it!

soggy mittens 25th August 2018 05:58 PM

Ableton, because it is what I use.

But also tried most of them and it's what gels with my workflow. :)

I find protools the most overrated.

scottym 25th August 2018 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thatizright (Post 13486408)
Yep it is that's why you bought it!

I upgraded to Studio One 3 after having Studio One 2.6, I have not bought and have never stated anywhere that I have upgraded to 4.0 if that's what you're implying.

ponzi 27th August 2018 01:16 AM

I believe fl studio was developed by germans. They named it fruity loops and then discovered that had some unintended meanings in american slang, so they changed to fl studio. Its a somewhat different workflow, but I think its a very capable daw--well loop based anyway. I think actually recording audio is not an area with a good workflow--or at least that used to be the case. Its been updated a lot since I used it.

Boydbob 3rd September 2018 03:34 AM

Interesting conversation. The survey was about popularity, not quality.
Something I didn't see mentioned was the idea that the most popular DAWs may be popular because of the type of music and workflow of the people who like them, more than the actual capabilities of the DAWs themselves. If you do lots of midi, or loops, or beats, or whatever, then a DAW that works well with your style is what you need.
And sometimes you have to try several to find the one that works best for you. I went from Cubase to Samplitude to Reaper to Studio One.
I finally settled on Mixbus. It does everything I need, but the things it lacks are deal breakers for others.

thatizright 3rd September 2018 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottym (Post 13486497)
I upgraded to Studio One 3 after having Studio One 2.6, I have not bought and have never stated anywhere that I have upgraded to 4.0 if that's what you're implying.

Then why are you worried about Studio One 4 so much? It's clearly not what you want.

scottym 3rd September 2018 06:19 PM

Besides the daws themselves, and this is probably common for a lot of competing products, it's the internet trolls that surround them. There are those who use actively use the tools and are able to be objective about them... where there are others who have them that don't and defend them like a trophy. The Mac user mentality.... as if they stand in some superior world of infinite perfection out of touch with reality to what us mere mortals want and desire to continue the development of what we create with the tools we use...or want to use. Developers are not mind readers...they need to do proper research of what users require from their programs they create. It's how they improve what they do....

Metasfera 6th September 2018 08:37 AM

How can be TOP10 if its only 5 DAWs to be memorable?)

MonstrPianoPlayr 9th September 2018 12:00 PM

Nice List of DAW's

Ahhhhhh......nice list of DAW's! kfhkh

My list of DAW's goes something like:
Cakewalk by BandLab
Cubase 5
Cubase Elements 9.5
FL Studio 12
Motu Digital Performer 9
Magix Music Maker
Pro Tools 12
Reaper
Magix Samplitude Pro X3 Suite
Magix Samplitude Music Studio 2019
Sonar Platinum

I gave Harrison Mixbus the boot because it was too much of a CPU hog.

So there's 10 in my list(in alphabetical order):
01. Cakewalk by BandLab
02. FL Studio 12
03. Harrison Mixbus
04. Magix Music Maker
05. Magix Samplitude
06. Motu Digital Performer 9
07. Pro Tools 12
08. Reaper
09. Sonar Platinum
10. Steinberg Cubase

Monster Piano Player

Diogo C 14th September 2018 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Metasfera (Post 13504332)
How can be TOP10 if its only 5 DAWs to be memorable?)

Ha, and those five are...?

arimaka 15th September 2018 03:34 AM

I don't understand the "con" of Logic Pro for editing audio... What is it that it can't do? To me it's one of the best for editing audio in general, all kinds of key commands, tools and customization to make it fit your needs....

Am I missing something?

Jaybird 25th September 2018 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jopol (Post 13535671)
Actually, most music producers use Mac, And Logic is very popular.
Define “owners with studios”. I have a studio. I have it in my home. And I have a Mac.

Im interested in the data behind that. I seriously don't believe it.
Im betting most users are using a demo of fruity loops. Even my lawyer has it on his android phone. Im guessing most studios use protools so if you narrow it down then.

1. most pro studios use protools.
2. most mac users use logic
3. many PC and mac users use Cubase pro or cracked something.
4. millions and millions of people use fruityloops because you can simply download it.
5. protools has a large market in mac users, so does cubase.
7. espresso, im a user.

ivansc 4th October 2018 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottym (Post 13468589)
It certainly isn't the best by a long shot either, parts of it still look as if it's still living in 1998....the browser is an eyesore by today's standards...and that's the tip of the iceberg...regarding all things Reaper... One doesn't need to look far to find huge threads about Reaper and the strong polarisation surrounding it either...

Of all the daws out there, I think Studio One 3.56 is probably one of the most well thought out, naturally accessible and rounded of all modern programs out there for music production. (Version 4 on PC is a whole other story currently however..Mac users are unaffected).

(grin) So - you dont actually like Reaper, then?

FWIW I am pretty much DAW agnostic.
Currently have Mixbus, Reaper, Sonar, Studio One (although I gave up on it at version 2) and a couple of others, plus Logic Pro on my Mac.

They all do the job, but not one of them has as good a MIDI implementation as my old Amiga software, Bars `n Pipes Pro.

And FWIW even though I would never ever come up with the asking price, I do like Pro Tools` way of editing audio better than just about everyone elses.

Pass the popcorn, somebody?

Qliphoth 5th October 2018 01:31 AM

the best DAW of all is Ableton. why is this crappy unpopular Avid first place? i don't get it^^

thenoodle 5th October 2018 04:46 AM

Poor Bob Lentini. In 1995, I thought he was gonna rule the world in short order.

Dumpty Hump 5th October 2018 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill5 (Post 13285290)
uh, no. The quality of music has nothing to do with the DAW. That would be a hilariously bad excuse for anyone to use. I think a lot of the music (the stuff we hear on the radio anyway) is poor because people's imaginations are weaker and people are lazier in general.

Nope. Music is ****tier today because production companies have got the recipe for “hit songs”. They build the songs the same way, get a pretty face to do the singing and that’s that. It is mechanical, it is a industry. The passion is not there in this kind of music, and that’s why it’s bad. Has nothing to do with DAWs, imagination or laziness.

Jaybird 6th October 2018 02:36 AM

I dont buy any music, I watch youtube red. cooge
Plus I skip the commercials. kfhkhrockoutbumpkin:synth:cooge

fireberd 9th October 2018 11:23 AM

I have continued to use Sonar/Cakewalk by Bandlab. I've tried ProTools, Reaper, Studio One 3 and several others. I primarily use mine like a multi-track "tape recorder" for traditional country music and Sonar serves me well for that. Occasionally I'll add some limited MIDI keyboard.

I think it comes down to what DAW you are used to. I can make the same music with all of them I tried but I'm "used to" Sonar (or too lazy to change).

~ufo~ 10th October 2018 12:11 PM

There is no best DAW, but there is a best DAW for you. And even that can change over time.
It all depends on your workflow, what you need to do with it, what are features you need, desire, can live without.
This will determine which DAW is best for you.

It can even be that different DAWs turn out to be the best for particular PARTS of your work flow.
For example, Studio One might suit you best to compose and record in and Pro Tools might suit you best to mix in.

That's kind of the way it is for me. No other DAW can touch the way I mix in PT, most of them cannot even handle my routing/template, some can but only with massively complicated workaround which impede flexibility so much that they are damn near unusable.
But PT is not perfect AT ALL, it just happens to be the only one that ticks all my 'have to have' boxes, which are more important than my 'want to have' boxes.

In the end, each DAW has its strong and weak points, you just need to find the one that aligns with your particular needs the best.

Pictus 10th October 2018 03:14 PM

The best reference in the Internet is this DAW Feature chart! rockout
Lots of useful and interesting stuff there!!
The DAW Feature Chart
https://i.imgur.com/CnZloFs.png

~ufo~ 10th October 2018 05:44 PM

Ha! Interesting charts!
I wont contest that Cubase gets a 3 for routing and Studio One gets a 2 for routing, it's a major reason why I can't use either.
But they give PT a 1 for routing!!!!!! Are you kidding me, PT is infinitely better at routing than cubendo and S1!!!
The routing is one of the best things about PT! It's amazingly flexible.
I could understand that if you're not an audio engineer (which is what PT was meant for), it can be a bit confusing.
But routing in S1 or Cubendo is like routing with training wheels if you're an audio engineer! Sure, its simpler for SIMPLE things, but as soon as you try to do something a little more advanced or elaborate, both Cubendo and S1 are extremely limiting or cumbersome!

If ease of use the the main criterium there, then I don't understand why PT gets a 1 where Reaper gets a 10!!!!!
Reaper is very flexible, I'll give it that, but I find it hardly intuitive!

Is this a topsy turvy chart or something? where 0 is best and 10 is worst? seems that way...

Pictus 10th October 2018 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~ufo~ (Post 13563146)
Ha! Interesting charts!

VERY!kfhkh
Quote:

If ease of use the the main criterium there, then I don't understand why PT gets a 1 where Reaper gets a 10!!!!!
Reaper is very flexible, I'll give it that, but I find it hardly intuitive!
The chart creator is a member here.
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/memb...bert-randolph/

Quote:

Is this a topsy turvy chart or something? where 0 is best and 10 is worst? seems that way...
No.

kevmsmith81 11th October 2018 09:49 AM

I bought Sonar professional back in 2015 when it offered the rent-to-buy style subscription model, and that worked a treat for me. It's great at both midi and audio, plus the bundled toys were great. When Cakewalk was shut down by Gibson, I bought Mixbus with the essentials bundle for $49, as Sonar was online authenticated and at that time there was no guarantee it was going to remain available.

I still use Sonar (now Cakewalk by Bandlab) as my main DAW - I can't believe it's not more popular given how capable it is as it's free. You can get a professional level DAW without paying a penny.

I've started using Mixbus, primarily for mixing tasks as I don't like the midi implementation and I do use a few VSTi's.

I also downloaded the trial of Reaper and thought it was excellent. It's not as intuitive as Cakewalk or Mixbus, but it's so stable (never had a single crash on it), seems very light on CPU load and it's very flexible.

Diogo C 11th October 2018 11:02 PM

Nice chart Pictus, thanks for bringing it up!