Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   Best Studio Gear (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/best-studio-gear/)
-   -   Top Ten Most Popular DAWs (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/best-studio-gear/1211889-top-ten-most-popular-daws.html)

Diogo C 31st May 2018 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fuzulu (Post 13346136)
Bitwig missin

Indeed a very cool and promising DAW. I think it's still relatively new and also a "niche" DAW that may not appeal to certain crowds, but it's definitely on the rise.

EvilDragon 1st June 2018 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jzero (Post 13344139)
FL Studio is a killer tool in the right hands. It is deep software that really has grown powerful over the years. Those who dismiss it have an axe to grind and don't know how to use it.

If you're doing piano roll based stuff, yes. If you're editing lots of audio, comping takes, live drum recordings, it's really crap for that compared to some other DAWs.

Whorse 2nd June 2018 03:31 AM

I want some solid reasons, why FL can't compete, solid answers that are more detailed than "its just crap".

EvilDragon 2nd June 2018 06:38 AM

It's just not intuitive or fast enough when working with audio in mentioned workflows.

But don't take my word for it. Try to comp something in FL studio then some other DAW and see which is better. FL certainly isn't.

VenVile 2nd June 2018 06:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EvilDragon (Post 13349410)
It's just not intuitive or fast enough when working with audio in mentioned workflows.

But don't take my word for it. Try to comp something in FL studio then some other DAW and see which is better. FL certainly isn't.

I guess, in a weird sense of irony, it's better at other things; it's certainly very hard to beat with MIDI/Piano Roll functionality. Look at that huh, I guess everything has their pros and cons.

EvilDragon 2nd June 2018 06:50 AM

Yes, I'm certainly not saying FL is crap overall - and I said so above, it's great for piano-based workflows. It's absolutely terrible for a lot of audio editing workflows. So if you're recording a band or something, that's not its forte. At all. Nearly any other DAW is better for that instead.

TMOQuantity 5th June 2018 02:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottym (Post 13283821)
Both Reaper and FLStudio are overrated by their respected community followers, yet they have the most illogical and frustratingly limited approach to usability standards other daws don't have..

Personally I find them both terrible, and particularly FLStudio terrible..(even more so today) even though I produce trance music and have been for over 20 years.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's one if the reasons most music we hear today is just terrible.

Counterpoint: I've used Pro Tools a lot for work because of session compatibility and I wouldn't touch it for my own music, because Reaper's workflow is so much more efficient and flexible. The handful of things I like in Pro Tools that Reaper doesn't do, I've been able to recreate (and often improve on) using custom actions but even stock Reaper is easily my favorite DAW to date. Before it I was using Nuendo and before that Samplitude Studio, I've never been particularly impressed by Pro Tools and never chose it for personal use, even though I've owned it since version 8 (stopped upgrading at v10). Reaper has been my personal DAW of choice since 2012 and my only complaint is the lack of postfader inserts.

Pro Tools has consistently been the clumsiest DAW I've ever used, with the possible exception of Vegas back in the Sonic Foundry days (before it became a video editor) and maybe IQS SAW Pro, although I didn't go too deep with that one, and it was groundbreaking in its day.

rectifried 5th June 2018 06:53 PM

PT2018.4.. lots of well implemented features.. most other daws had.. but they did some better/ more elegant
having said that
PT is such a PITA with cpu...so so finicky.. one day fine, then one day -6xxx, -9xxx BS
Ive been on it for 18 yrs and know my system.. but whack a mole is getting old
Yes, lets get the: go do this and that,.. and " my system is fine" answers out of the way.
Its just kludgy with cpu.. even after the big aax rewrite.
Ive done many things and then had some success with no errors .then over time a round of BS -xxx messages.. usually with the most simple tasks

Had HD and .. that wasnt any better and frustration is turbo charged with that much money tied to that gag.
HD is great if you have a big tracking place with XY$ stuff, you should have it.

Avid just grinds those guys on so many levels I had to jump off..the interfaces sounded good.. but useless unless you pay 400$ a year or, lay low ... then pay 900!
Avid.
I say this every 6 months: split the HD fee like you did with nonHD.. U greedy b*st*rds!

Diogo C 12th June 2018 11:13 PM

FYI: Are you keeping up with the Pro Tools subscription?

ericdisero 9th August 2018 05:31 AM

Loooove Reaper rockout

RobinL 9th August 2018 05:35 PM

I agree that FL would be my last choice when recording.
I guess if I would record for myself without a time limit or clients it doesn't matter.
But it always felt clunky the way it worked with the timeline separated from the pattern thing when recording actual audio.
Having said when I am not playing with midi hardware (such as edrums or a piano) I am always using FL just for that.
It just works fantastic but like bitwig, fairly niche.

EDIT: tho FL is very messy on very large projects. A more classical timeline is way better for that.

Personal I feel like this list is pretty on point tho I might switch Mixbus for Sonar. While the forums are dead I still see it a lot in the smaller studios. (But as this post mentioned, it's how popular it is on GS.)

Diogo C 10th August 2018 02:43 AM

Anyone knows what's going on with Sonar right now? Any news after the relaunch with Band Lab? Haven't heard anything since that announcement.

scottym 10th August 2018 03:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diogo C (Post 13462931)
Anyone knows what's going on with Sonar right now? Any news after the relaunch with Band Lab? Haven't heard anything since that announcement.

I believe they are still trying to get themselves out that hole Gibson left them in... They really haven't got very far...but that was probably to be expected... Essentially...they threw out an old unpolished product to get people interested that really should of had at least another 12-18 months of development and refinement... I gave it 2 weeks.. and uninstalled it because it was a buggy mess of a program.

bill5 10th August 2018 04:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diogo C (Post 13366427)

Not if you put a loaded gun to my head. Ditto for buying that ridiculously overpriced DAW from hell in the first place.

Funny how among all this user-friendliness isn't coming up, which for me (as with many I would guess) is the most important feature and why I chose Mixcraft. Reaper is a respectable second place. Most of the rest I found anywhere from iffy to horrific in that regard. Further, it's one of the most reasonably priced, is very well-rounded, and comes with an excellent crop of VST stuff. kfhkh

jjpscott01 11th August 2018 01:38 AM

I use and have used several of these daws but even after 15 years Reason still has my heart for writing and producing. Cubase 9.5 Pro is excellent for mixing and Samplitude Pro X is my mastering preference.

sramsay 13th August 2018 05:14 PM

I always hear the same thing said about REAPER. It's great, it's super powerful, it can do anything, the pricing model is superb, etc., but the only way to use it is to geek out with the thing by spending hours (or weeks) customizing the otherwise unusable interface so it will fit "your workflow."

I must be the only dedicated REAPER user who doesn't do any of this. I basically use it stock (I don't even skin it!), and one of the main reasons I use it is because I actually find it a lot easier to use than most others. Split, paste, fade, route, add FX, automate . . . all the ordinary tasks involved with working with audio seem bracingly straightforward to me, and I didn't spend hours watching tutorials or reading the manual when I started.

What I do like, though, is that the minute I want to do something complicated or weird, there's almost never a question of whether it *can* do it. It almost always can. And that will, almost invariably, involve geeking out with the thing a bit -- in ways that may or may not be intuitive -- but then, I don't go into audio work with the expectation that highly specialized tasks are going to be effortless.

I realize it's all mostly a matter of taste, but I just thought I'd mention that this comment always strikes me as a bit off. There's at least one person in the world who didn't spend days customizing REAPER in order to work with it: me. :)

RobinL 13th August 2018 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sramsay (Post 13467878)
I always hear the same thing said about REAPER. It's great, it's super powerful, it can do anything, the pricing model is superb, etc., but the only way to use it is to geek out with the thing by spending hours (or weeks) customizing the otherwise unusable interface so it will fit "your workflow."

I must be the only dedicated REAPER user who doesn't do any of this. I basically use it stock (I don't even skin it!), and one of the main reasons I use it is because I actually find it a lot easier to use than most others. Split, paste, fade, route, add FX, automate . . . all the ordinary tasks involved with working with audio seem bracingly straightforward to me, and I didn't spend hours watching tutorials or reading the manual when I started.

What I do like, though, is that the minute I want to do something complicated or weird, there's almost never a question of whether it *can* do it. It almost always can. And that will, almost invariably, involve geeking out with the thing a bit -- in ways that may or may not be intuitive -- but then, I don't go into audio work with the expectation that highly specialized tasks are going to be effortless.

I realize it's all mostly a matter of taste, but I just thought I'd mention that this comment always strikes me as a bit off. There's at least one person in the world who didn't spend days customizing REAPER in order to work with it: me. :)

I almost never customize the look or workflow too deeply.
I want to be able to show up to a friend or studio and know the software.

So yes, I run reaper fully stock as well. It's not even the worst stock interface by a long shot.

scottym 14th August 2018 03:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobinL (Post 13468094)
I almost never customize the look or workflow too deeply.
I want to be able to show up to a friend or studio and know the software.

So yes, I run reaper fully stock as well. It's not even the worst stock interface by a long shot.

It certainly isn't the best by a long shot either, parts of it still look as if it's still living in 1998....the browser is an eyesore by today's standards...and that's the tip of the iceberg...regarding all things Reaper... One doesn't need to look far to find huge threads about Reaper and the strong polarisation surrounding it either...

Of all the daws out there, I think Studio One 3.56 is probably one of the most well thought out, naturally accessible and rounded of all modern programs out there for music production. (Version 4 on PC is a whole other story currently however..Mac users are unaffected).

RobinL 14th August 2018 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diogo C (Post 13462931)

Minus the plugins you got with Cakewalk's third party company deals it's the full version (platinum) is completely free by registering a bandlab account.

Tho some features that were in the platinum edition are in the reworks but these will all come back.

fuzulu 14th August 2018 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobinL (Post 13468962)
Minus the plugins you got with Cakewalk's third party company deals it's the full version (platinum) is completely free by registering a bandlab account.

Tho some features that were in the platinum edition are in the reworks but these will all come back.

tried it... doesn't appear to be so...

RobinL 14th August 2018 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fuzulu (Post 13469353)
tried it... doesn't appear to be so...

What do you mean? You have to download the bandlab app in order to install it. Works perfectly on my end.

fuzulu 14th August 2018 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobinL (Post 13469577)
What do you mean? You have to download the bandlab app in order to install it. Works perfectly on my end.

oh ok... didn't think if that... but the link u posted doesn't work for me

Diogo C 20th August 2018 02:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
FYI, preliminary results from the "Are you keeping up with the Pro Tools subscription?" poll as we move past the 200 vote mark:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/atta...1&d=1534770707

Jaybird 20th August 2018 10:10 PM

If logic is in there fruity loops should be also. I don't think a mac only application can be popular because the user base.
Unless its popular with mac owners with studios... then its #1 But I have never seen it in person. I dont know any mack guys anyplace.

RobinL 20th August 2018 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaybird (Post 13478690)
If logic is in there fruity loops should be also. I don't think a mac only application can be popular because the user base.
Unless its popular with mac owners with studios... then its #1 But I have never seen it in person. I dont know any mack guys anyplace.

To what are you referring to? FL is featured.

Jaybird 21st August 2018 12:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobinL (Post 13478813)
To what are you referring to? FL is featured.

saying it should be way higher then it is.
bumpkin I mean I dont use it, but I used to! hooppie

Plush 21st August 2018 08:43 PM

List needs to include Sequoia 14 and SADiE.

Rumi 23rd August 2018 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMOQuantity (Post 13353892)
Reaper has been my personal DAW of choice since 2012 and my only complaint is the lack of postfader inserts.

I like Reaper a lot. It does what I always wished Logic (and before that ProTools) would do, and in a way that is very intuitive for me (compared to Logic, which was most often very unintuitive for me, and the big manual didn't help). With the SWS extensions and all its tweakability, Reaper is really a great tool.

Another small minus: It doesn't let you enter a time and jump there. Awkward that this is not (yet) implemented.

thatizright 23rd August 2018 02:30 AM

Studio One 4 is spanking all of them! kfhkh

Jaybird 23rd August 2018 04:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Plush (Post 13480101)
List needs to include Sequoia 14 and SADiE.

Sequoia and Nuendo, I have used them both. Licensed Nuendo for a while., I loved it. Sequoia I used and its zero complaint. Purchased cubase pro because I can afford the upgrade path. rockout

Shoots gun in face who said this ---> "Its not about the cookie cutter its about the cookies"abduction:facepalm:gruudgegrrr