Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   Best Studio Gear (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/best-studio-gear/)
-   -   Ten of the Best Mics for Recording Drums Overheads (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/best-studio-gear/1131770-ten-best-mics-recording-drums-overheads.html)

Crazy4Jazz 29th November 2018 09:13 PM

Aea r84?

Crazy4Jazz 29th November 2018 09:13 PM

Incidentally, U67s are available again if you happen to have 15k for overheads.

Valeto 29th November 2018 09:44 PM

Oktava MK-012

deedeeyeah 29th November 2018 11:57 PM

schoeps for overheads, m201 for underheads or very loud/harsh/shrill cymbals

Directimage 30th November 2018 09:41 AM

Ken Royster

C12 all the way. Best.

RyanC 30th November 2018 04:22 PM

Josephson C700S, it's expensive but you only need 1.

It sounds amazing and it is really nice being able to steer the mic, change the XY angle, change polar patterns at any point.

The sounds is so complete that for music that isn't heavy/in your face, you don't need any other mics on the kit.

MrTunes7 30th November 2018 06:54 PM

Interesting. There's also one for sale in the classifieds right now.

Yetti 2nd December 2018 06:15 AM

I thought the good ol SM81's would make the list for drum overheads.

russbirch 17th April 2019 07:53 PM

The over head mic choice is VERY dependent on the room, how the kit is set up and the requirement of the song. I've used all of those mics (except the Earthworks) and many more and they all perform well in a given situation. The C12 is wide open but lacks the mid punch of a 67, the 451 is articulate but sounds terrible on a heavy hitter in a small room. The coles is the opposite but is location sensitive. The 84s are great but in my experience a bit noisey and great for tom attack and snare punch. We sometimes spend a whole day auditioning overheads to fit the kit, the song, and the hitter. Maybe only vocal mic gets more attention.

Oh, one not mentioned but a mic that keeps getting chosen is the lowly TLM102. Extremely quiet, good punch and clean off axis tone.

MrTunes7 21st April 2019 02:42 PM

That's interesting insight. Would you have samples to listen to?

NamelessUnknown 8th November 2019 05:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazy4Jazz (Post 13660812)
Aea r84?

Generally my favorite for overheads.

Mike110492 8th November 2019 11:53 AM

Hey everyone! I just made a video comparing 17 overhead choices (including most of the mics on this list). I hope some of you find it helpful!

Or you can download the files directly to compare them in your own DAW: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/12fech1nn...2xl7nCzQa?dl=0

Chromalord 11th November 2019 05:04 PM

Thats actually a good list. I might add Royer 122, and Earthworks QTC40's which I like a little better than the 30s (but both are excellent mic's).
Personal fav on that list are the Coles. Cymbals particularly sound amazing with those mic's. Any of these examples could be disastrous without the right placement and pre-amp. I ran the Coles thru Martech MS10 pre's then EL-8 Distressors with the British mods, set to "NUKE". Awesome.

Deleted dbbd9a8 11th November 2019 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike110492 (Post 14310608)
Hey everyone! I just made a video comparing 17 overhead choices (including most of the mics on this list). I hope some of you find it helpful!

Or you can download the files directly to compare them in your own DAW: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/12fech1nn...2xl7nCzQa?dl=0

Nice comparison but how can you compare 17 mics accurately?That's not an easy task.
They are not at the same place.And if you record them one after the other at the same place,they don't record the same performance.

Mike110492 11th November 2019 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenLadder (Post 14316746)
Nice comparison but how can you compare 17 mics accurately?That's not an easy task.
They are not at the same place.And if you record them one after the other at the same place,they don't record the same performance.

They were all placed in the same positions, therefore recording different performances. I figured accurate placement was way more important to this kind of shootout than identical performances. But the performances were still pretty darn consistent.

I figured it's more of a real-world approach. If you're in a session and you think you might want to try different overheads, you throw them up and decide if it's better or worse than before.

It's not the most scientific test ever done, but all these mics sound different enough that slight performance differences really shouldn't matter much.

PavlinaA 18th November 2019 12:59 PM

Neumann KM 84

wirenut 6th February 2020 09:56 PM

Mojavi 301

Considering that my drum recordings are always in the same location, I find that in my drum room (which is treated) my go to mics are usually Mojavi 301's. Believe it or not I prefer them over two U81's. That could also be that my 2 U81's are not stereo matched and actually about 8 years apart in manufacturing but still the Mojavi’s are great mics for overheads and are used 75% of the time.

Sometimes if the drummer’s cymbals might seem a little darker than I wanted especially the ride, I'll try a couple of SDC's like Oktava 012's that were modded by Michael Joly or a matched pair of Neumann KM 184’s. Last but not least, honorable mention, I have made plenty of successful drum recordings using an old pair of Shure SM81's from the 90’s.

Wirenut

phantomcenter 8th February 2020 03:22 PM

the new Samar AL95 ribbon mics are unbelievably good stereo drum overheads.

crestifer 15th February 2020 12:16 AM

my favorites on overheads have always been c12's or u67's when i could get them.

in my own rig...always coles 4038 or km84s or sometimes a pair of 87's.

currently i'm very interested in checking out the stager stereo ribbon.

i really like the AEA stereo ribbon as a drum overhead, but always end up eq'ing it quite a bit, just like the coles.

from the demos i've heard of the stagers...they sound pretty much like the AEA or coles after i eq them to what i want to hear.

so many options these days. so many fantastic, affordable microphones out there.

it's honestly, amazing.

Zoot 25th February 2020 01:19 AM

Solid list. Gefell M300 & AKG 414 are excellent, as well. In fact, I haven't used anything other than M300s since I bought them a decade ago.

I'm a rock guy, so I use coles 4038s as rooms. Too mellow for OH for me... but they sound glorious on just about everything. Especially into DW Fearn. Tasty.

blackcom 25th February 2020 03:44 PM

Shure KSM141 works great here as long as the drummer brings good cymbals.

Kronos147 26th February 2020 02:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NathanBarley (Post 13438732)
The original 451 and 452 with the ck1 caps are terrific overheads.

I have a lovely pair. I have used them. They tend to be a tad strident without EQ, say compared to the AKG C460B with the CK61 cap, or Neumann KM140. But nice mics for hat and bottom snare, IMO.

Quote:

Originally Posted by NathanBarley (Post 13438732)
Lucas cs1 is God’s drum overhead.

I should check them out.