Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   Best Studio Gear (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/best-studio-gear/)
-   -   Ten of the Best Studio Monitors from $1,000 to $2,000 (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/best-studio-gear/1104259-ten-best-studio-monitors-1-000-2-000-a.html)

mmhasan01 26th March 2018 08:40 PM

ADAM Audio A7X this model would be good for mine.

Diogo C 27th March 2018 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRT_in_WMass (Post 13176800)
In the US, for small passive monitors in this price range, I would suggest consideration of R. Dennis Murphy's Philharmonic Audio New Philharmonitor, which utilizes a RAAL 64-10 OEM ribbon tweeter and Scan-Speak 15W/8530K-01 Revelator midwoofer in choice of bass-reflex or sealed alignment, and option of bespoke cabinets sourced from (Jim) Salk Sound, etc. Be sure to discuss your application with Dennis before ordering.

The New Philharmonitor

For an amplifier, I would suggest Morris Kessler's ATI AT522NC stereo amplifier which utilizes a pair of Bruno Putzey's Hypex NC500 class D amplifier modules, Kessler's discrete input stage and linear power supply.

AT52XNC Amplifiers

Interesting products, never seen them before, so thanks for bringing it up!

Vern 18th June 2018 04:45 PM

I'm incredibly surprised that the Focal Shape series monitors are not listed here. I've used the Dyna-Audio's many times and they are excellent; they will always be impressive to me for their size and final-mix translation.

Recently I shot-out the Nuemanns, the Focal Shape 65, the Genelecs, and the Adams monitors (the only one not listed on this list were the Focal 65). Hands down I thought the Focal's won representing the most clarity, image, depth, and especially true-feeling bass response out of all of them. I haven't tried the Focal's listed on this list; but I'd love to hear them if I can find somewhere to test them out.

blayz2002 18th June 2018 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vern (Post 13375147)
I'm incredibly surprised that the Focal Shape series monitors are not listed here. I've used the Dyna-Audio's many times and they are excellent; they will always be impressive to me for their size and final-mix translation.

Recently I shot-out the Nuemanns, the Focal Shape 65, the Genelecs, and the Adams monitors (the only one not listed on this list were the Focal 65). Hands down I thought the Focal's won representing the most clarity, image, depth, and especially true-feeling bass response out of all of them. I haven't tried the Focal's listed on this list; but I'd love to hear them if I can find somewhere to test them out.

I did a similar shootout (just with a different pair of Genelecs), came to the same conclusion and bought the Shapes.

The reason they are not on here though is they were only released last year I think, so still relatively new in comparison. This list is from 2016.

amiros 4th October 2018 09:14 PM

please remove the hedd type 07 from this list....just Genelec M040...wow....a Real Speaker For Mixing And Mastering.Accurate...detailed....And good Translation...It Worth Double 1600$rockout

geeorge 5th October 2018 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amiros (Post 13552020)
please remove the hedd type 07 from this list....just Genelec M040...wow....a Real Speaker For Mixing And Mastering.Accurate...detailed....And good Translation...It Worth Double 1600$rockout

What's wrong with the Hedd 07 its one of the best nearfield speakers ever made they trash the genelec are u trolling.The Hedd 07 are comparable to Adam S Series.Genelec are not even as good as Yamaha

amiros 11th October 2018 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by geeorge (Post 13553664)
What's wrong with the Hedd 07 its one of the best nearfield speakers ever made they trash the genelec are u trolling.The Hedd 07 are comparable to Adam S Series.Genelec are not even as good as Yamaha

Genelec are not even as good as Yamaha?????
i sure You Are trolling.....Genelec Is World Leader Of Studio Monitors

I Have Both...

1.Hedd Type 7 Not A Revealing Monitor... Of course Sounds Epic.
2.Some Problems in HMids...(Makes You To Do Unnecessary EQs)
3.Type 07 Is Great Sonic Speaker (but Not Musical)
4.Your Mix Have Not a precise And Good Translation for Other Speakers...
5.Type 07 Never Makes You to Do A Great mix(Complicated to explain)Trust Me...
6.The Plugin (lineariser) hardship.

M040 Pros :
Translation,Revealing,Frequency Response And Sound Imaging Is Incredible...kfhkh

Now,You Can Buy Type 07 And Enjoy Your Music (Of course only in Your Studio) :)

geeorge 12th October 2018 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amiros (Post 13566010)
Genelec are not even as good as Yamaha?????
i sure You Are trolling.....Genelec Is World Leader Of Studio Monitors

I Have Both...

1.Hedd Type 7 Not A Revealing Monitor... Of course Sounds Epic.
2.Some Problems in HMids...(Makes You To Do Unnecessary EQs)
3.Type 07 Is Great Sonic Speaker (but Not Musical)
4.Your Mix Have Not a precise And Good Translation for Other Speakers...
5.Type 07 Never Makes You to Do A Great mix(Complicated to explain)Trust Me...
6.The Plugin (lineariser) hardship.

M040 Pros :
Translation,Revealing,Frequency Response And Sound Imaging Is Incredible...kfhkh

Now,You Can Buy Type 07 And Enjoy Your Music (Of course only in Your Studio) :)

Can be said for Genelec too its marmoth.sounding.also.the metal tweeters they use are extremely fatiguing.I prefered Neumann to.both but then there its no ideal speaker.Hedd its not ideal too.Ribbon tweeters(amt its.different more.clean) are bit sensitive in the high mid area hence the translation issue u said.Genelec its very sharp in this area and reveals that better then others.Genelec has poor dynamics to.me.but those are their entry level speakers their coaxial speakers are perfect.
Btw u have good hearing I.had some.doubt about the highs on the hedds they sounded too good to be accurate hence not bought them shame cause I returned the adam.ax because of them.

SecretSociety 17th October 2018 07:45 AM

I can´t understand why nobody is suggesting some Eve Audio "magic" in here.
After testing a lot of the mentioned monitors my first choice would always be the Eve Audios SC series.
They are just perfect tools for an accurate mixing job without any over presented lows or mids...
The ribbon tweeter is top notch and kinda unic to its price range.
Don´t sleep on them guys.
In my opinion they easily compete with MUCH more expensice systems.
Have a nice day everyone! kfhkh

jimmydeluxe 17th October 2018 10:33 AM

What he said.

I've owned or often used many of these, and owned pairs above this price bracket–Eve SC207 and 208s must be mentioned...

Edit: Just realized that even the sc208s I have now were right at the bottom of this price range new (£900)-open box, great deal...completely ridiculous monitors.

amiros 19th October 2018 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SecretSociety (Post 13575785)
I can´t understand why nobody is suggesting some Eve Audio "magic" in here.
After testing a lot of the mentioned monitors my first choice would always be the Eve Audios SC series.
They are just perfect tools for an accurate mixing job without any over presented lows or mids...
The ribbon tweeter is top notch and kinda unic to its price range.
Don´t sleep on them guys.
In my opinion they easily compete with MUCH more expensice systems.
Have a nice day everyone! kfhkh

yes..I Use SC 207 For Couple Of Years...Eve 207 Is One Of THE Bests(Good Translation And Revealing/Detailed)...With A Sweet Taste...rockout The Only Problem Is That : Boosting On Lo End And Hi End Frequency....It Was Like You Insert A Smile EQ IN The Box...Which Make It Some Hype Sounding...And What Happened?...Your Mix Sounds Un-hyped In Other Speakers And Systems...:facepalm:

jimmydeluxe 19th October 2018 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amiros (Post 13580941)
yes..I Use SC 207 For Couple Of Years...Eve 207 Is One Of THE Bests(Good Translation And Revealing/Detailed)...With A Sweet Taste...rockout The Only Problem Is That : Boosting On Lo End And Hi End Frequency....It Was Like You Insert A Smile EQ IN The Box...Which Make It Some Hype Sounding...And What Happened?...Your Mix Sounds Un-hyped In Other Speakers And Systems...:facepalm:

Interesting–not my experience at all, with 207 or 208...My mixes are translating flawlessly with no revisions needed. I'm using sonarworks to compensate my room flaws.

To what did you change that you found translated better? Same room, no change in treatment?

edit: wait, so you say it's one of the best in translation, but it isn't? I'm confused

amiros 20th October 2018 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimmydeluxe (Post 13581080)
Interesting–not my experience at all, with 207 or 208...My mixes are translating flawlessly with no revisions needed. I'm using sonarworks to compensate my room flaws.

To what did you change that you found translated better? Same room, no change in treatment?

edit: wait, so you say it's one of the best in translation, but it isn't? I'm confused

Just Do It.
Set Hi to -2
And Bass To -3

Your Mix Translation May Improve

I Never Used SonarWorks...But I Think Better Choice is Improvement Of Your Room treatment...

But Eve s Are Great Monitors....

moos_music 25th October 2018 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amiros (Post 13581979)
Just Do It.
Set Hi to -2
And Bass To -3

That of course can differ a lot in different rooms, maybe he would need to boost the High or Low frequencies

NaifJam 27th October 2018 05:00 PM

I own a pair of BM5 MKIII with the sub 9S. It is very good. Between 1000 and 2000 you can buy all this. Having a SUB Woofer brings a real plus for composing music that uses bass (or not). (Rock, metal, techno ...)
Add to that a pair of HS5 and you will do very well to mix, finalize the music.
Just my opinion.
All these motinor his well

NaifJam 27th October 2018 05:02 PM

Maybe one of the best solution between $ 1000 and $ 2000

RKeefe1032 28th October 2018 06:37 PM

Probably the wrong place to post but I inherited a pair of JBL 4401s. They need a power amp but are they worth additional investment? From all appearances (still boxed), they're in good shape.

Martel80 29th October 2018 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RKeefe1032 (Post 13597643)
Probably the wrong place to post but I inherited a pair of JBL 4401s. They need a power amp but are they worth additional investment? From all appearances (still boxed), they're in good shape.

If they still have the original driver or same exact part and the drivers are in good shape, definitely yes. I have a pair and love them.

RKeefe1032 30th October 2018 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martel80 (Post 13598768)
If they still have the original driver or same exact part and the drivers are in good shape, definitely yes. I have a pair and love them.

All original! Thanks, I'll get an amplifier and fire them up.

Martel80 30th October 2018 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RKeefe1032 (Post 13601671)
All original! Thanks, I'll get an amplifier and fire them up.

Great monitors, and im not saying this as a '' for their age'' . They are just great monitors for the mid section...way less irritating then the NS-10 and very revealing.

You wont be disapointed. Great tool.

JRT_in_WMass 15th November 2018 03:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RKeefe1032 (Post 13597643)

On these old loudspeakers, you should inspect the crossovers for leaky electrolytic capacitors.

They play with a lot of old gear over at audiokarma.org

caton 18th January 2019 10:20 PM

why is Adam even on there ? They're terrible speakers :facepalm:

john morris 23rd January 2019 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elegentdrum (Post 13141575)
Specs and price are one thing. Translation and no "holes" in the sound are another.

The reviews would be much more useful if things were rated in each quality.
Range: 20-20K or something else?
Transients: How fast does the speaker go from nothing to steady full volume. this can vary from frequency to frequency.
Holes: Typically there is a mixture of dips and bumps in the EQ response at the cross over point between 2 way and 3 way speakers. Some speakers you can't tell, others you here a huge hole where things get muddy at a specific EQ range.
Throw: Some speakers are better at 4' away, some are better at 6' away, what's the optimum speaker throw?
Translation: Some speakers make you work to get the mix right (Like NS-10's) because the speakers are not that good. Some speakers flatter the hell out of what you hear (B&W), details showing up you just dont hear on other speakers and headphones.

The mixture of all those design details is what makes some speakers cost tons of cash. As consumers, we should ask for a useful rating system about things like that. Then there will be something on paper to justify large speaker costs. Much of the problem is putting qualities we hear into words. How do we describe a sound? Now how do we describe the qualities of a system that delivers the sound? Not that easy. Perhaps some speaker designers or mastering engineers could take a shot at a great set of measurements that will allow all speaker designs to be on a level playing field for quality.

If you can find a pair of near field monitors for under $2000 a pair that are flat down to 20 hz please let me know. But I am pretty sure they don't exist.

nielsd 28th January 2019 12:17 PM

The Adam A7X are "killers" in their range of nearfields.

Used them several years as my main mons after years of Yamaha HS8 and until upgrading to Adam S2V (with switchable) sub10.

With the sub7/8 they could be extended in the deep / low bass range - the sub7/8 subwoofer (incl. the crossover filters if used) can be enabled/disable with a standard foot switch what i've used often. i did not used any of the builtin room adaption (EQ) - except the infrared remote sub7 subwoofer (x-over ) filter and sub volume motor knobs.

I used them in parallel (A/B) with Yamaha HS8 - later with Yamaha NS10M (for "kitchen radio" checks).

the step from HS8 to Adam A7X was huge in higher detail, stereo localisation and highs - even without the sub the resulting bass was significantly cleaner.

the A7X are reliable work horses for any semi-pro desk work. my only minimal "complain" goes into the resultion of the (upper) mids (i assume this is the area of the crossover between speaker and tweeter) which seem a bit less "detailed" for my ears (especially when stronger upper bass is hittin the cone). this affects at least some transients. but this is minimal and a thing of taste.

to the S2V are a significant step forward - but another price range.

caton 4th March 2019 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nielsd (Post 13772161)
The Adam A7X are "killers" in their range of nearfields.

Used them several years as my main mons after years of Yamaha HS8 and until upgrading to Adam S2V (with switchable) sub10.

With the sub7/8 they could be extended in the deep / low bass range - the sub7/8 subwoofer (incl. the crossover filters if used) can be enabled/disable with a standard foot switch what i've used often. i did not used any of the builtin room adaption (EQ) - except the infrared remote sub7 subwoofer (x-over ) filter and sub volume motor knobs.

I used them in parallel (A/B) with Yamaha HS8 - later with Yamaha NS10M (for "kitchen radio" checks).

the step from HS8 to Adam A7X was huge in higher detail, stereo localisation and highs - even without the sub the resulting bass was significantly cleaner.

the A7X are reliable work horses for any semi-pro desk work. my only minimal "complain" goes into the resultion of the (upper) mids (i assume this is the area of the crossover between speaker and tweeter) which seem a bit less "detailed" for my ears (especially when stronger upper bass is hittin the cone). this affects at least some transients. but this is minimal and a thing of taste.

to the S2V are a significant step forward - but another price range.

HS8 to A7X is a step up but I wouldn't say they're killers ;)

Rumplestiltskin 5th March 2019 01:46 AM

Since I don't think this warrants an entire thread, and is relevant to this list, I'll ask it here - I'm currently on JBL308s and looking to upgrade. I can get a pair of Adam A7Xs for about 600 from a friend, and it seems like a great deal. Would saving for the A77X's or perhaps something from Eve Audio be that good of a jump up? Any other recommendations?

adl 5th March 2019 09:07 PM

Thanks for this list!
Received my APS Klasik today and am pretty happy so far. I am running the Adam A7 (first version) with a Adam 8 Sub and they served my very well for the last 11 (!) years, but i wanted to step up a bit and after lots of reading i ordered the APS Klasik. They got a great bass and go really low for sure (that´s what everybody says after hearing them and it´s true). I am not sure, if i need my Adam Sub anymore. cooge

blayz2002 6th March 2019 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adl (Post 13848002)
Thanks for this list!
Received my APS Klasik today and am pretty happy so far. I am running the Adam A7 (first version) with a Adam 8 Sub and they served my very well for the last 11 (!) years, but i wanted to step up a bit and after lots of reading i ordered the APS Klasik. They got a great bass and go really low for sure (that´s what everybody says after hearing them and it´s true). I am not sure, if i need my Adam Sub anymore. cooge

Cool, other than the low end how else would you say they compare? Mids, clarity, stereo separation and highs?

adl 6th March 2019 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blayz2002 (Post 13848843)
Cool, other than the low end how else would you say they compare? Mids, clarity, stereo separation and highs?

I am still burning them in, played 6 hours of pink noise and now am running some frequency sweeps for some more hours.

But I also did some mixing yesterday and it translated very well on my car speakers, better than I usually do (I often have to go back to do some adjustments, especially with bass / kick, but also highs.) Not this time, it was pretty much spot on, high mids might be a tad to much, but overall I was astonished on how good my car speakers represented, what I had heard and mixed on the APS.

Reverb tails could be mixed very precisely, I think this is easier on the APS, compared to the Adam A7, that's one specific thing I noticed. I also mixed without the Adam Subwoofer, so it's a whole new mixing experience basically. Will do some further testing and can post my impressions here.

blayz2002 6th March 2019 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adl (Post 13848905)
I am still burning them in, played 6 hours of pink noise and now am running some frequency sweeps for some more hours.

But I also did some mixing yesterday and it translated very well on my car speakers, better than I usually do (I often have to go back to do some adjustments, especially with bass / kick, but also highs.) Not this time, it was pretty much spot on, high mids might be a tad to much, but overall I was astonished on how good my car speakers represented, what I had heard and mixed on the APS.

Reverb tails could be mixed very precisely, I think this is easier on the APS, compared to the Adam A7, that's one specific thing I noticed. I also mixed without the Adam Subwoofer, so it's a whole new mixing experience basically. Will do some further testing and can post my impressions here.

Cool, hope you enjoy them. I was previously very interested to try them out, due to all the great feedback, but couldn't find anywhere to demo them.

A tip, if you're not already aware, if you do struggle a lot with bass levels (kick & bass), you should have a think about using Sonarworks (even if you have room treatment). It's been a great help for me in getting my mixes to translate better with less back and forth and revisions.

Also for a great visual cue that your mix could be unbalanced is Voxengo SPAN. If you watch this video YouTube and set it up as this guy says, it gives great visual feedback for what a balanced mix should look like and if you have missing frequency content or something poking out. Of course, you stilll use your ears, but I find it to be very accurate.