The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Sound Proofing w/ Moving Blankets Dynamics Plugins
Old 10th March 2014
Gear Maniac

Sound Proofing w/ Moving Blankets

Got advice on here that moving blankets can at least somewhat help a bad sounding room.

Went to U-Haul to purchase the blankets. But they ended up being this (found the pic online.) I think they're called furniture pads.

So I'm not sure if that would be the same.. these are what I actually want
Moving Blankets (4-pack) - Deluxe Pro Mover Blanket - Size: 72" X 80" - Weight: 4.5 lbs Per Blanket - Color: Black & Grey - Brand: Cheap Cheap Moving Boxes - Amazon.com

So will there be a difference? I needed them today so ordering them would suck but if the U-Haul ones aren't what I need, I'll wait.

While I'm at it, can regular blankets offer around the same amount of 'sound proofing'?
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

I would go here and look about. I think you will find that the blanket idea is not as good as many other options.

Studio building / acoustics - Gearslutz.com
Old 10th March 2014
Gear Maniac

I definitely plan on treating my room properly at some point. But, I just recently spent pretty much all of my money on new gear. So I just have to do the best I can for now until I can get things done properly.
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

Buy the proper blankets. Moving blankets don't sound proof they absorb

Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear
Moving blankets or rugs won't really "sound proof" but will reduce reflections from hard surface walls.

I used carpet that has more texture to it rather than smooth fabric like the blankets. I used a staple gun to attach over old paneling in my basement den/studio. It looks nicer as well.

I used a few of these as well as Auralex bass traps in the corners.

Foss Checkmate Taupe/Walnut 6 ft. x 8 ft. Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug-C2BWC03PJ3VH at The Home Depot

Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

The kind of blankets you got from UHaul will do the trick, I have used them to good effect. They are useful for damping high frequencies - place them on hard surfaces to reduce flutter echo.

Another good cheap option for treating bass freqs is the "green" insulation (not fiberglass) that comes in blocks at Lowe's or Home Depot. Put a couple of those in each corner and wrap them with moving blankets.

Depending on the size and shape of your room, you should hear the sound tighten up considerably. Play around with it, take measurements - it takes a while to figure out what you're supposed to hear.
Old 10th March 2014
Gear Maniac

Def like the carpet idea. But for now the blankets are easiest to attain.

Ive heard you should put one in front, one in back, and one on each side of the person recording vocals. Is that right?
Old 11th March 2014
Gear Maniac

ok what about this

Instead of buying 4 moving blankets for each side of vocalist, what if I buy 2 actual sound proofing blankets for in front and behind, and use 2 regular blankets for the sides..will that be better? Not sure if the sides matter as much as in front or back
Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/VoxGuardi use this prime acoustics mic stand plus moving blankets
Old 11th March 2014
Gear Maniac

Unfortunately I spent most of my money on new gear. So I'm stuck in the $50 range right now. I can get the 4 regular moving blankets for 40 or the 2 soundproofing blankets for $50. Thats the only reason I'm considering this, as a temporary thing
Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear
Save your money until you can buy some treatment. Blankets are ok in a pinch for some things, but there's no substitute for the real deal (broadband panels and bass traps).
Old 11th March 2014
Gear Maniac

Well I'm in a pinch now lol I have some things I need to get done within the next couple of weeks so I need something to at least improve my situation a little, just temporarily
Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

If they're for the vocal both go for it!
Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

Try the moving blankets with $10 worth of 4" fiberglass behind them . It is almost as effective at 2" of 703 but more dead sounding in the upper frequencies.
Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by C0419 View Post
Well I'm in a pinch now lol I have some things I need to get done within the next couple of weeks so I need something to at least improve my situation a little, just temporarily
If you have a Harbor Freight in your area they have great prices on the 72 x 80 blankets. There is a coupon currently that will knock them down to $5.99 each. They are good quality and have some heft.
Old 11th March 2014
Gear Maniac

I do actually. I'll go there tomorrow. But can anyone tell me HOW to hang them? My thought was 4 blankets on each side of the vocalist. I wouldn't be hanging them against a wall which is what I hear of some people doing.

Also, would 2 moving blankets, one in front and one in back, then two regular blankets on the sides work? Or do they all need to be the same? I was thinking since in front of and behind the vocalist are the most important, what's on the sides wouldn't matter as much.
Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

If you put moving blankets against a wall,it helps if you keep like a 2" space between the wall and the blanket.
I did that once by using screws at the top of the blanket and then putting a 2x2 underneath the whole lenght at the very top keeping it a couple inches from the wall.I used 3 pieces of wire through the blanket to hold the 2x2 in place at the top rather than nailing it in and further damaging the wall.
Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear
You can hang them with boom stands fully extended in a "T" shape; you can also put grommets on them (the Producer's Choice ones have that already).
Old 11th March 2014
RTR
Lives for gear

I got mine that look just like the pics above at Home Depot for cheap!
Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

Do not buy that mic stand thing. Its on the wrong side of cardio and they are not worth the price at all. Pick up a couple of Blankets and place them in a V behind the Vocalist
Carpet and Blankets directly attached to walls is pretty pointless .. Stay away from foam It's high Dollar low effectiveness. if all you need to do is cut vocals go grab a pair of moving blankets
Old 11th March 2014
I used to poo poo the packing blankets thing until I saw a pic of Ray Charles tracking in a room with those familiar blue beauties everywhere. If it was good enough for Ray it's good enough for me.

I'll second harbor freight. I have a lot of them I use for transporting PA and I don't think I've ever paid more than $6 for them
Old 11th March 2014
Ha! At royer labs no less! Go forth and make art my friends
Attached Thumbnails
Sound Proofing w/ Moving Blankets-theman.jpg  
Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasbeen View Post
If you have a Harbor Freight in your area they have great prices on the 72 x 80 blankets. There is a coupon currently that will knock them down to $5.99 each. They are good quality and have some heft.
Harbor Freight is great for lots of stuff. I go in for one thing, and always come out with a carload

The heft is what you want. Weight is what stops sound waves. The heavier, the better.
Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

I have a couple of down comforters that I brought with me from my days in the north country. They work great!

They are nice and heavy and the down makes for some air space within that seems to have a nice effect on the sound.
Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Karloff View Post
Do not buy that mic stand thing. Its on the wrong side of cardio and they are not worth the price at all. Pick up a couple of Blankets and place them in a V behind the Vocalist
Carpet and Blankets directly attached to walls is pretty pointless .. Stay away from foam It's high Dollar low effectiveness. if all you need to do is cut vocals go grab a pair of moving blankets
Well you maybe right and you maybe wrong! We are talking about stoping reflection, so the mic stand thing stops reflection at the source. But fair enough, treating the back wall will work as well!
Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by everybody's x View Post
Ha! At royer labs no less! Go forth and make art my friends
yea my mic stand thing is a smaller version of this^^^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Karloff View Post
see you maybe wrong and right at the same damn time lol
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

If you live somewhere where either it gets cold, or where people from where it gets cold escape to, the thrift stores will have big fat quilted blankets (that effete people call "comforters"). They cost lunch money. You can buy all that you can carry. Just make sure you hang them a few inches out from the walls.

Last edited by lame pseudonym; 12th March 2014 at 02:20 AM.. Reason: fix typo
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lame pseudonym View Post
big fat quilted blankets (that effete people call "comforters").
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclenny View Post
I have a couple of down comforters that I brought with me from my days in the north country. They work great!
Hey!

I resemble that remark!

Old 29th March 2014
Lives for gear

Harbor Freight sale NOW!!

Heads up! Harbor Freight is selling their standard moving blankets for $3.00 each until March 31st, so if you're on the fence with this make shift vocal booth scheme it ain't cuz it costs too much! This makes it nearly a no brainer. Do it today!!
Old 29th March 2014
Lives for gear

Don't use blankets. They only deaden high frequencies. You'll be left with too much bass and consequently your mixes will lack bass (when you compensate). Use actual bass traps.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search