The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Sound Proofing w/ Moving Blankets Dynamics Plugins
Old 30th March 2014
Gear Guru

Of course these low life vagabonds know nothing about room acoustics or proper room treatment.

I mean these guys must be down on their luck recording in the kitchen, using moving blankets for a make-shift vocal booth, tracking acoustic guitars together in the same space with studio junk
piled to the ceiling. I mean a total reckless abandon for sticking with established protocol.

How dare they!
Old 30th March 2014
Lives for gear

The shot of Ray Charles at Royer Labs might be a bit misleading - that''s a treated room - the blanket was (obviously) simply because he wanted things a little more dead, as well as some separation from Norah Jones (who you can see standing behind the blanket with a mic in front of her face) - that is not (in and of itself) a "room treatment"

Just don't get the idea that a blanket in and of itself is going to provide adequate room treatment.

Rod
Old 30th March 2014
Gear Guru

A moving blanket just dampens reflected sound, but that may be all that's needed.
Old 31st March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFTT View Post
A moving blanket just dampens reflected sound, but that may be all that's needed.
It seems that is was all that was needed in the house designed by Wallace Neff (the Royer House) - but that would be the exception to the rule - not the rule itself......

A friend of mine owned a farm once that had a barn where the acoustics on the upper level were absolutely amazing with no treatments whatsoever - but that too would be the exception - not the rule........

Rod
Old 31st March 2014
Gear Guru

Sometimes you just have to make the best use of what you have available.

Dampen what you can of unwanted noise and use more directional mics if that's what it takes to get a reasonably clean track.

If noise is extreme, you may just have to gate it.
Old 17th June 2014
Here for the gear

This is what I did, and it met my needs.

I am a drummer. I have a finished basement room about 12x18', which has my drums set-up.

I wanted to deaden the sound since I play along with 2 15" pro speakers and music thru my iMac..it gets loud. I knew I could not soundproof due to cost and work involved (a whole new re-construct would be needed to truly 'soundproof).

To deaden or subdue the sound, I purchased several heavy moving blankets from Northern Tool Supply (there is a store minutes away) for less than $13 a blanket. They are filled with 2.8oz filler, blankets weigh close to 8 lbs, are the perfect size to cover from ceiling to floor with 6 inches left. I stapled the blankets along the wall/ceiling edge, covering the 3 windows in the basement. It looks clean/neat. I also, for added looks and absorption, purchased a couple of the blankets that have grommets, hanging these over the blankets that cover the windows. I also added a heavy blanket on the ceiling over the drum kit.

It may not be 100% soundproof, but certainly has toned down the sound, making my neighbors happier, and certainly my wife. I had considered so-called "Acoustic Blankets", but I did what I did for a fraction of the cost, and frankly, doubt the expensive acoustic blankets would have been any different in results.

Wel-Bilt Oversize Woven/Nonwoven Moving Blanket

Wel-Bilt Grommeted Industrial Blanket
Old 20th June 2016
Gear Addict

Will moving blankets work well for quieting a computer if I hang them around 2 feet away from it ?
Old 8th July 2016
Here for the gear

So my studio is covered in moving blankets ..at home depot they have the standard fiber ones that you have in the first photo..get a staple gun to put them up then over top of those home depot has moving blankets that are thicker with zig zag patters that you can place in different directions on the walls for absorption and diffusion..and i kid you not it sounds better than most high end studios. i can hear my ear drums moving and a mouse fart..its great.. im shooting a youtube video about this next week because its so affordable for really good results. Also get a book shelf for a diffusor its duel purpose.
Old 14th July 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explained Audio View Post
So my studio is covered in moving blankets ..at home depot they have the standard fiber ones that you have in the first photo..get a staple gun to put them up then over top of those home depot has moving blankets that are thicker with zig zag patters that you can place in different directions on the walls for absorption and diffusion..and i kid you not it sounds better than most high end studios. i can hear my ear drums moving and a mouse fart..its great.. im shooting a youtube video about this next week because its so affordable for really good results. Also get a book shelf for a diffusor its duel purpose.
I hope you post a link to the video !
Old 14th July 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explained Audio View Post
I hope you post a link to the video !
Old 12th December 2017
Here for the gear

He is right the blankets do the trick when tracking vocals. Alot of songs are done in bedrooms and garages by seasoned professional artist. I did my song in my bedroom and it was Used as on a major songwriters cd release. The blankets absorb the sound and stop revebration. people areaking this recording stuff to difficult. sound travels and keeps going into the blankets.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search