The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
DIY Vocal Booth Ventilation
Old 7th March 2014
Gear Addict

DIY Vocal Booth Ventilation

Hello,

I'm Not A Carpenter-I did the best I could with what i had.

I updated my vocal booth ( 7'x6'x8' ) room within a room. 2x4 framing, 1 layer 3/4 dense particle board and 2 layer 3/4' drywall, another 2x4 framing with 1 layer 3/4 dense particle board and another 2 layer 3/4" drywall. All layer was sealed. the inside is 4" rockwool between the framing, 2" rockwool on the ceiling and tri-wedge rockwool corner bass traps. 2' foam panels. The door has 3/4" dense particle board on the front and back which makes it very heavy and solid.

The reason i apply so many layer was because i have a loud furnace about 10' from the door of the booth. The furnace is in the back room with a door separating it from the sitting area but it is noisy. I will be replacing it with a high efficiency furnace/low noise. I added intake and exhaust ventilation and a sealed LED Recessed Retrofit Downlight.

With the door close and ventilation on there is no noise what so ever. The ventilation baffle has 2" foam and 5 - 90 degree turns. I put my ear next to the intake vent in the booth and i cannot hear anything but i had feel it. The exhaust is also dead silent. I put a lighter next to vent and it goes out so its working.

I'm very very happen with this. Here is a few pic. Vent fans 6" inline duct fans with 2 year replacement warranty. The fan baffle box was made for easy replacement of the fans.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
DIY Vocal Booth Ventilation-stuff-sell-vocal-booth-043.jpg   DIY Vocal Booth Ventilation-stuff-sell-vocal-booth-019.jpg   DIY Vocal Booth Ventilation-stuff-sell-vocal-booth-028.jpg   DIY Vocal Booth Ventilation-stuff-sell-vocal-booth-044.jpg   DIY Vocal Booth Ventilation-stuff-sell-vocal-booth-051.jpg  

Old 7th March 2014
Gear Addict

some more pic
Attached Thumbnails
DIY Vocal Booth Ventilation-stuff-sell-vocal-booth-015.jpg   DIY Vocal Booth Ventilation-stuff-sell-vocal-booth-023.jpg   DIY Vocal Booth Ventilation-stuff-sell-vocal-booth-026.jpg   DIY Vocal Booth Ventilation-stuff-sell-vocal-booth-027.jpg   DIY Vocal Booth Ventilation-stuff-sell-vocal-booth-035.jpg  

Old 7th March 2014
Gear Addict

some more pic
Attached Thumbnails
DIY Vocal Booth Ventilation-stuff-sell-vocal-booth-036.jpg   DIY Vocal Booth Ventilation-stuff-sell-vocal-booth-053.jpg   DIY Vocal Booth Ventilation-stuff-sell-vocal-booth-030.jpg   DIY Vocal Booth Ventilation-stuff-sell-vocal-booth-042.jpg   DIY Vocal Booth Ventilation-stuff-sell-vocal-booth-045.jpg  

Old 7th March 2014
Gear Addict

some more
Attached Thumbnails
DIY Vocal Booth Ventilation-stuff-sell-vocal-booth-050.jpg   DIY Vocal Booth Ventilation-stuff-sell-vocal-booth-064.jpg   DIY Vocal Booth Ventilation-stuff-sell-vocal-booth-065.jpg   DIY Vocal Booth Ventilation-stuff-sell-vocal-booth-067.jpg   DIY Vocal Booth Ventilation-stuff-sell-vocal-booth-068.jpg  

Old 7th March 2014
Gear Addict

Still the corners of the drywall and the top ceiling corner but i have to call in my brother-in-law for this. I still has some touch up painting to do. I'm very happy with the sound isolation and the air ventilation. I have a KUUR water cooler with remote for a quick cooling of the booth to get thing started. The water cooling system only cost me $59 with factory warranty so i snatched it up.

If anyone has any question fill free to contact me. this works excellent and is dead silent. There is zero noise inside the vocal booth.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
DIY Vocal Booth Ventilation-stuff-sell-vocal-booth-055.jpg   DIY Vocal Booth Ventilation-stuff-sell-vocal-booth-056.jpg   DIY Vocal Booth Ventilation-stuff-sell-vocal-booth-057.jpg   DIY Vocal Booth Ventilation-stuff-sell-vocal-booth-062.jpg   DIY Vocal Booth Ventilation-stuff-sell-vocal-booth-066.jpg  

Old 7th March 2014
Gear Maniac

Looks good, I will be doing a similar design with my booth - Im using Insulated ducting though, wish I had as much space as you do with the baffles though
Old 7th March 2014
Gear Addict

Lala Land

I was thinking of doing insulated duct from my back room and run it thru the ceiling attaching it to the baffle box. I wanted to do this with a more powerful fan but the setup I build is works great. It cost me about $150 give and take to make all this.

denlig
Old 7th March 2014
Lives for gear

Very nice, how does it sound in there?
Old 7th March 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by matskull View Post
Very nice, how does it sound in there?

It sound real tight. The added bass traps and 2" foam highlighted a slight air leakage around the recess light fixture that i could not hear before. I have a female client that recorded vocals a few ago, she will come in to do some vocal tracks and we will compare the old booth sound compare to the new treated booth sound.

I cannot hear anything from outside the booth. No air noise from the ventilation system - it's very silent. I have the room trapped well. The bass traps are tri-wedge cut rockwool in front of 4" rockwool panels. The sides are 4" rockwool panels with 2" foam panels on top. The ceiling is 2" rockwool and 2"foam panels on top.

Maybe an over kill i don't know but I'm very happy with it. Now i can do long vocal session without the clients looking like beetle juice when they come out LOL.

denlig
Old 7th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by denlig View Post
It sound real tight. The added bass traps and 2" foam highlighted a slight air leakage around the recess light fixture that i could not hear before. I have a female client that recorded vocals a few ago, she will come in to do some vocal tracks and we will compare the old booth sound compare to the new treated booth sound.

I cannot hear anything from outside the booth. No air noise from the ventilation system - it's very silent. I have the room trapped well. The bass traps are tri-wedge cut rockwool in front of 4" rockwool panels. The sides are 4" rockwool panels with 2" foam panels on top. The ceiling is 2" rockwool and 2"foam panels on top.

Maybe an over kill i don't know but I'm very happy with it. Now i can do long vocal session without the clients looking like beetle juice when they come out LOL.

denlig
That seems awesome really, it's always nice to see that it is possible to get good results with a diy approach!

Do you have an estimate of the total cost of the built (the whole booth)?
Old 7th March 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by matskull View Post
That seems awesome really, it's always nice to see that it is possible to get good results with a diy approach!

Do you have an estimate of the total cost of the built (the whole booth)?
Man that would be hard to estimate. I had alot of the material left over from remodeling the studio. 2x4 boards is cheap and so is drywall. Rockwool was left over from the studio build.

so lets say,

8-10 bags rockwool give or take @ $42 a bag = $420
16 sheets of drywall @ $5 for 2 sheets = $40
2x4x8 boards for frame $2 per board x 35 boards = $70
cloth fabric around $50-100 this depends on where u get it
16 - 3/4 4x8 particle board sheets @ $20 per sheet = $320
12 Pack of 2" x 12" x 12" Charcoal Acoustic Studio Foam Wedge Tiles = $250
caulking give or take $30-50
Ventilation system $150
cheap door $50 plus 2 sheets of 3/4 sheets of particle board $40

This is from my receipts of stuff i bought new and stuff i had from studio build.I build the booth with double walls. I went overboard because i have a noisy furnace that i need to block the sound out. I hope this help
Old 7th March 2014
Lives for gear

That's not too bad!
thanks
Old 4th April 2014
Gear Addict

The booth was to midrangey and dead for my liking. I talked to JH Brandt and he suggested more trapping. After doing vocal testing,I hear no mid problems and the hi is not dead in the booth. It sound very good now and the trapping lower down the mid peaks problem 200-400hz. Looking at the freq analyzer of the vocal tracks that was recorded with all the foam in the booth,the new booth vocal freq shows the low mids was lower in peaks.

I have a client tomorrow and I can put the booth to the test and learn more about the sound. I will report back.

Here is the finish booth after John help with the acoustic.

denlig
Attached Thumbnails
DIY Vocal Booth Ventilation-vocal-booth-pic-043.jpg   DIY Vocal Booth Ventilation-vocal-booth-pic-044.jpg   DIY Vocal Booth Ventilation-vocal-booth-pic-028.jpg   DIY Vocal Booth Ventilation-vocal-booth-pic-031.jpg   DIY Vocal Booth Ventilation-vocal-booth-pic-001.jpg  

Old 4th April 2014
Gear Addict

few more

I like this booth better.
Attached Thumbnails
DIY Vocal Booth Ventilation-vocal-booth-pic-002.jpg   DIY Vocal Booth Ventilation-vocal-booth-pic-003.jpg   DIY Vocal Booth Ventilation-vocal-booth-pic-013.jpg   DIY Vocal Booth Ventilation-vocal-booth-pic-006.jpg   DIY Vocal Booth Ventilation-vocal-booth-pic-007.jpg  

Old 6th April 2014
Gear Addict

Bass trapping is working so far

denlig
Old 26th May 2014
Thanks so much for posting this. I'm building a booth about as dense as yours and trying to pick my ventilation design. I was going to just use 120mm, silent computer case fans mounted closer to the wall than yours. But others are saying that they won't push enough CFM.

Question for you denlig: I know the INSIDE of your booth is silent, no fan noise. However how loud are these fans OUTSIDE the booth? My booth will be sitting in my control/live room and I can't deal with 2 turbo jet fans in my nearly silent control room. Thanks man!
Old 29th May 2014
Gear Addict

Baffle box

Jordan,

This is a diagram of what the inside of my baffle box look like. I have i think like 5 wood fins and 4" foam from a foam bed padding i had lying around unuse from K-Mart.

Hope this helped.

denlig
Attached Thumbnails
DIY Vocal Booth Ventilation-hvac_decoupling.jpg  
Old 29th May 2014
Quote:
Jordan,

This is a diagram of what the inside of my baffle box look like. I have i think like 5 wood fins and 4" foam from a foam bed padding i had lying around unuse from K-Mart.

Hope this helped.

denlig
This is awesome, thanks! So is the box on the left side the outer box with the box on the right being another box INSIDE the booth?
Old 29th May 2014
Gear Addict

There is no box inside the booth. Just the boxes out side the booth. This just a diagram to show how the inside baffles was made. It's just a straight pipe from inside baffle,thru booth walls and i sealed around the hole and pipe.

Did I answer you correctly ?

denlig
Old 2nd June 2014
Quote:
There is no box inside the booth. Just the boxes out side the booth. This just a diagram to show how the inside baffles was made. It's just a straight pipe from inside baffle,thru booth walls and i sealed around the hole and pipe.

Did I answer you correctly ?

denlig
Yes, I think so. We'll be building our baffles this week. I'll be sure to share the progress with you, thanks!
Old 21st October 2014
Here for the gear

Hi Denlig,

Thanks for posting this - It's really helped me with a project I am currently at the planning stage of; to build a small recording room in my garage. I've been trying to get my head around the ventilation for a couple of days and your solution seems ideal and easy to construct!
Just one question - while looking for inline duct fans I've found most are for extracting (mainly for hydroponic growing kits!) - Did you use the same fan for intake and extract - Did you just wire it up the opposite way around or attach the ducting to the other end of the fan?

Thanks again for a great post!

Ben
Old 21st November 2014
Gear Addict

I just turn one fan around inside the fan box to blow air into the baffle box then into the booth. Reverse the other fan to pull air out the booth. The fan is mounted iniside the box and the ducting is attach to a 4" plastic pvc pipe sticking out one side of the fan box. The fan is close to the pvc pipe but it is not attach. This way i can easy switch out the fans if needed.Be sure to seal the boxes tight and leave a vent on the opposite side of the fan boxes.

Sorry man I had forgot all about this thread. Any more question you can also PM me for faster respond.

denlig
Old 9th April 2015
Here for the gear

Hi! Thanks for this post! I built a fan box based on your thread. My question is, what's the purpose of the baffle box on the wall? Couldn't I just run a duct hose from the fan box to a pvc pipe I ran through the wall?
Old 25th August 2015
Here for the gear

nice work. I also did something similar. I had contacted the vocalbooth guys to inquire about a stronger fan they want $500-$1000, which is pricey, for not a very significant increase in CFM. Instead I picked up a panasonic 240cfm quiet fan and a wooden storage box off of craigslist, and it's really helped. Before I was limited myself to one set of smaller speakers because the speaker heat sinks would heat up the room. oh yes, I should mentioned that I produce music inside an 8x8 vocalbooth (from vocalbooth.com) which I got used, for 1/3rd the price. I had two of their older ventilators and they were not pushing enough air to stay in there longer than 1hr without opening the door, or using headphones.

note: anther great source of quiet ventilation ideas are all the indoor pot growers ;-).
Old 9th March 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Hello,

I'm Not A Carpenter-I did the best I could with what i had.

I updated my vocal booth ( 7'x6'x8' ) room within a room. 2x4 framing, 1 layer 3/4 dense particle board and 2 layer 3/4' drywall, another 2x4 framing with 1 layer 3/4 dense particle board and another 2 layer 3/4" drywall. All layer was sealed. the inside is 4" rockwool between the framing, 2" rockwool on the ceiling and tri-wedge rockwool corner bass traps. 2' foam panels. The door has 3/4" dense particle board on the front and back which makes it very heavy and solid.

The reason i apply so many layer was because i have a loud furnace about 10' from the door of the booth. The furnace is in the back room with a door separating it from the sitting area but it is noisy. I will be replacing it with a high efficiency furnace/low noise. I added intake and exhaust ventilation and a sealed LED Recessed Retrofit Downlight.

With the door close and ventilation on there is no noise what so ever. The ventilation baffle has 2" foam and 5 - 90 degree turns. I put my ear next to the intake vent in the booth and i cannot hear anything but i had feel it. The exhaust is also dead silent. I put a lighter next to vent and it goes out so its working.

I'm very very happen with this. Here is a few pic. Vent fans 6" inline duct fans with 2 year replacement warranty. The fan baffle box was made for easy replacement of the fans.

Thanks
What did you do to the floor of the vocal box? Or can anyone else share how they built the floor of their vocal box?
Old 20th March 2019
Here for the gear

Hello i have a small room used as Vocal booth as showed in the picture . During Summer there is no ventilation at all and i need to open it each take or two for gettin air inside and recycle the used one .

I was thinking to put something like the second picture on the outside of the booth with a 15 cm (6 inch) vent.

Will i need an exit with an air extraction vent on the bottom of the room? Or only the one that bring new air inside it's enough?

For curiosity : why as showed in the second picture , the air need to pass trought that right and left "labirint" before gettin in the room to refresh?

Thx you
Attached Thumbnails
DIY Vocal Booth Ventilation-p_20180621_202459_1.jpg   DIY Vocal Booth Ventilation-immagine.jpg  

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search