The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Bass Traps in unusual shaped Attic space... Advice Please!
Old 31st October 2013
Here for the gear

Bass Traps in unusual shaped Attic space... Advice Please!

Hi Guys,

So I've spent a couple of days reading other posts and trying to figure out the best way to do this, but I'd still like to get some opinions if people have some time to help.

I'm using a pair of KRK RP5's and recently bought the matching sub as I realised I was overemphasising the low end in my mixes. However, this has just made me realise how badly my room needs acoustic treatment, as the bottom end with the sub is all over the place.

The studio space is an attic room, see designs and photos below:

The frequency response graph was made without a calibrated mic and without deliberate placement/setup of the sub/balance between sub and speakers, so is only a rough idea, but it seems pretty clear that I'm getting massive build up of 60-70hz, which makes it impossible to hear anything. There's also very clear standing waves occurring with sharp dips in the graph. Crossover set to 80hz.

So, what I'm hoping you can help me with is deciding what kind of bass traps would be best for this space and where to put them. This might sound daft, but is it worth playing a sine wave of the offending frequency and crawling around the room seeing where it builds up the most? Then putting bass traps there? I'm also thinking that the cavity in which my desktop currently sits could be made into a deep basstrap, at least the first 60cm up from the floor. I'm looking to spend about £100 on rockwool slabs for bass traps and absorbers for the ceiling.

I'd also really like some advice on where to place the sub and how to get the balance between the sub and speakers right. The manual says to set the crossover at 80hz, but surely this depends on the size of the cones in your monitors? I would have thought with my cones being only 5" it would make more sense to have the crossover slightly higher, say 100hz. But what do I know!

Thanks guys, let me know if I've missed something out!

Billy
Old 1st November 2013
Here for the gear

Just to add to that, I've just ordered 16 sheets of Rockwool RW3 50mm (60kg m3), and 8 sheets of RWA45 50mm (45 kg m3). I figured this gives me a few options for panels and traps. I also had a play around with various frequencies and moving around the room listening. The really low freq around 40hz dos collect in the corners of the eaves, but the 60 - 70hz seems to collect above my chair near the vaulted ceiling and by the wall under the desk. I have a few ideas for configurations, and will post a sketch soon. Any suggestions appreciated!
Old 7th February 2020
Gear Head

Dunno, have you worked it out"
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search