The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Bass trap cover to reduce odor
Old 23rd October 2013
Here for the gear

Bass trap cover to reduce odor

I am making some corner triangle bass traps and bought some Certainteeed SI batting as I felt that since it did not use formaldehyde it would be preferable for a closed room.

Unfortunately the SI smells horrible, kind of like burnt coffee or toast. It may outgas a bit in a few days but I don't think the smell will completely go away.

Is there any material that I can cover the trap with that will block some of the odor but not compromise acoustical absorbance?
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonorlite View Post
I am making some corner triangle bass traps and bought some Certainteeed SI batting as I felt that since it did not use formaldehyde it would be preferable for a closed room.

Unfortunately the SI smells horrible, kind of like burnt coffee or toast. It may outgas a bit in a few days but I don't think the smell will completely go away.

Is there any material that I can cover the trap with that will block some of the odor but not compromise acoustical absorbance?
Install proper ventilation in your room, or use glass wool without formaldehyde as Ecose. Any other method will block airflow to the absorber which is important for proper work

Old 23rd October 2013
Here for the gear

The place I bought the Certainteed SI from claimed it was identical to the Ecose which was my first choice. Does the Ecose not have an odor?
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonorlite View Post
The place I bought the Certainteed SI from claimed it was identical to the Ecose which was my first choice. Does the Ecose not have an odor?
I use here Knauf Ecose (they claimed that they don't use formaldehide)... and never sense any odor...

EDIT:
Here:
http://www.knaufinsulation.co.uk/en-...#axzz2iZMNjDcr

you can read this:
Quote:
In 2013 we are celebrating the four year anniversary of ECOSE Technology. ECOSE Technology is our revolutionary formaldehyde-free binder used in our glass and rock mineral wool range.

Whether you are specifying or installing, using insulation with ECOSE Technology (such as our award-winning Earthwool mineral wool range) means that you can feel good about your decision.

Being formaldehyde-free is the big advantage of using ECOSE Technology however there are many more advantages which ECOSE Technology brings:

Contributes to improved air quality
Reduced workplace exposures and manufacturing emissions
Reduces embodied energy and delivers superior environmental sustainability
Made from rapidly renewable materials rather than petro-based with no artificial colours, dyes or bleach
Odourless
Low on dust
Easy to cut and soft to handle
And skilled craftsmans reported to me, that Knauf Ecose is more like ordinary "blanket" when they handle it... so there is no that big level of skin irritation compared to standard "fluffy" things (yellow, white, pink)... In other words, they like to work with it more than with ordinary fluffy....

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search