The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Hofa Basstrap, Arrived Measuring
Old 21st October 2013
Gear Nut

Hofa Basstrap, Arrived Measuring

Hello Fellow Gearslutz,

Today 6 Hofa Basstraps arrived. On first look they seem very nice build quality. Very rigid. They are also HEAVY. I was impressed by their size and weight.

This week I am setting up a new "modular" mixing room. Because I move a lot with my room I have to keep it movable.

The room is 5 meters long, 3,4 meters wide and 2,4 meters high.

I am going to measure the room empty and with the 6 Hofa traps placed in different positions.

Wednesday I get 4 extra traps from GIK and some panels. I will eventually measure again with those traps and panels installed too.

I will also hang a ceiling cloud. This is a DIY type of absorber. 2.5cm thick filled with 65kg/m3 wool.

I will post the results here and hope they are helpful for others. I am going to measure with REW and a Behringer measurement-microphone. This will be my first measurement so if I measured wrong, please tell me so I can learn.

I will provide some data during this week.

Have a great day.
Old 11th November 2013
Lives for gear

any news ?
Im interested in the results....
Old 11th November 2013
Gear Nut

I am finishing measurements.

I hope to attach them soon.

It took a little longer because of some personal stuff I had to take care off.

First impression:

Good quality products. Heavy. Rigid. And by ear they do a very good job.
Old 9th December 2013
Gear Maniac

I am also interesten in the HOFA Basstraps. My room is 3,5m x 4,5m
Would interesting how they Perfom if you place just 2 behind the speakers (thats the position I could place them here)
Old 24th January 2014
Gear Nut

Still had no time for putting up the measurements. Have been very busy with my new mixing room.

Building Pultecs and wiring up all my equipment. I know it has been a while ago but I am still planning on putting the measurements online.
Old 26th January 2014
Lives for gear

Please, post waterfall graphs is possible. I'm treating my room at the moment, building traps, measuring, building more traps, more measuring...I'm interested in the Hofa traps.
Old 30th March 2014
Gear Nut

This is the room.

I have got the measurement almost done. It is far from perfect but it needed some time. Toft came in last week and I switched from Dynaudio BM6a's to Focal Solo's.

Next week I am hooking everything up again and after I have got the speaker position right I will take away the hofa traps and put them in 1 by 1 and make measurements.

Before the hofa traps my gik traps were in the corners.
Attached Thumbnails
Hofa Basstrap, Arrived Measuring-1959674_1477779842436154_561773142_n.jpg  
Old 31st March 2014
Lives for gear

I don´t think, that all the foam-"absorbers" will change anything below 250Hz. The real Problems will be untouched with cheap foam. Only real Absorbers (DIY) or expensive acoustic stuff will help.

Also it is important that the tweeter of the Focal´s are in the height of your ears and please avoid reflextions from the sidewalls and also the desk itself.
Old 31st March 2014
Lives for gear

Yeah, you'll hear a good improvement from putting the speakers on stands behind your desk. You can also get good results by making sure the speakers are in the best position in the room.
Old 31st March 2014
Gear Nut

I have got my speakers on stands now and behind the desk. I am going to uncouple them. The Toft is going on the desk in the centre position. The desk has some resonation problems which are airborn. With the toft on the desk the wood gets stiffer and this solves the resonation problem.

I still have some issues under 60hz which I can't solve right now. I have to make it better with positioning the speakers for now. Next week I am going to look into products to treat this part of my spectrum.

I do not care about the foam not doing anything under 250hz. The Hofa traps and GIK panels are for the real work and the rest is merely aesthetics.

I get some last cabling for the Toft today and hopefully I can open REW then.
Old 16th April 2014
Gear Nut

Hereby finally the results.

I had some work to do for clients in some studio´s in the Netherlands before I could start with my home studio.

In the future I want to use this room for mixing. For now, I am far from were I want to get.

I added 2 pictures of the room. It has my mixing spot. It took me a week to change the position. Were my chill-out is now I intended to put the speakers and mixing position. Due to too much bass problems I mirrored the whole room.

When I wanted to start serious measurement I found out my SSL and the windows WDM drivers didn´t work correctly. I cannot chose inputs.

Since I couldn´t find a REW version that supported ASIO I had to find out how ARTA works. Also a freeware program with good functions.

I started with positioning the speakers.

Made a tape in the middle of the room with 5cm steps written on it and started with a RTA frequency test, changing the speaker position one by one to find the untreated sweet spot.

Finally, 110cm from the back wall, 60cm from the center, 120cm between the middle of both drivers gave the best bass response.

Then I started adding the 4 hofa traps. Actually, not in the corners but stacked behind the speakers they gave the best absorption. With the speakers on 2 of them to decouple them from the floor.

Then I added the GIK 244 traps. I have 4 of them to treat early reflections.

I have some ****ty (but nice looking) wave woods from when I first started out and added them too to get rid of some flutter echo. Still on 2, 5 and 10k a problem.

My frequency response did improve. The highs became better. The middle improved.

My nul at aprox 125hz changed for the better. My peak at 85hz became less pronounced.

The low-mid area changed for the better.

I still need a lot of work. You can see my Focal monitor moves smoothly from 50hz down. I like this. Exactly like the frequency response charts. With a sub, new problems will occur.

I am going to order 4 more 244 traps from GIK or something similar to add as a cloud above me. This will probably improve my low-mids and highs a little bit more.

Don´t know if this will fix the nul at 125hz or improve the 85hz area but we will see.

I hope I can get my decay times better too. The decay times still bother me.

I have 1000.- euro to spend in May to improve the room further. The fact that my frequency response is improving makes me happy.

I do find that the Hofa traps sacking the absorption material a little bit. I must say they do the job and are cheap.

But I think the GIK products will be more efficient and I am not going to buy extra Hofa traps. They are cheap and do a decent job but I think the GIK bass products will have greater results in the lower low end than the Hofa products.

Hope this helps you too and any suggestions about my next steps in making my room sound better are more then welcome!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Hofa Basstrap, Arrived Measuring-2.jpg   Hofa Basstrap, Arrived Measuring-1.jpg   Hofa Basstrap, Arrived Measuring-frequency-response-12th-smoothing-no-treatment.png   Hofa Basstrap, Arrived Measuring-frequency-response-12th-smoothing-final.png   Hofa Basstrap, Arrived Measuring-waterfall-final.jpg  

Old 16th April 2014
Gear Nut

Room dimensions are 660 cm deep. 390cm width. and height is 243cm.

I have a big window behind the speakers. The low end just goes outside. I have very friendly neighbours who do not mind my work at all!! Got to love it.

At one side I have a door, at the left speaker, also with glass.

Also on the left side a door to the kitchen, aprox. 180cm behind left speaker position and at the back a door too.

The right side wall and the wall that is behind the speakers, is a hard concrete wall.

The wall on the left side and the back were my bookshelf stands are soft walls from plaster.

The ceiling is solid concrete too.

Maybe this helps to understand my room a little better.
Old 16th April 2014
Gear Nut

Sorry for the range... I changed the input not intented while measuring.

You have to calculate a little bit!
Old 15th May 2014
Gear Head

Very interesting stuff! Especially your measurement methods- I'm bookmarking for future reference.
Old 15th May 2014
Lives for gear

Tigri, this two measurements are not comparable.

You must use the same db range and also same resolution. In the before screenshot it is 1/24 oct., in the "after" screenshot it is 1/12 oct.
In this case it is no surprise that it looks better....

For a good overlook use the "overlay" feature to compare measurements.
Old 15th May 2016
Lives for gear
Was is worth buying them?
Old 7th November 2016
Here for the gear

Are the bass traps working good as monitor stands?
Old 14th August 2017
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by ostro View Post
Have the same question
Old 16th May 2019
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by ostro View Post
It looks like they are.

The Hofa web page says:

Basstraps as speaker stands
With their height of 1.03 m, the basstraps are also ideal as speaker stands with positive effects on the acoustics in the room.

And they specify somewhere else "Load up to 35kg".

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search