The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Small Room Bass Trap Size?
Old 17th October 2013
Here for the gear

Small Room Bass Trap Size?

I have a small mixing space...I mean really small. It is 6ft tall, 8 feet wide and 10 feet long. I have positioned my desk pretty close to the front wall to try and avoid the 50% spot of the room. I am building bass traps and I don't have a lot of owens corning 703 as I live on Maui and it is hard to find. My question is if I do floor to ceiling bass traps that are 4" thick can I make them floor to ceiling but at only 1 foot wide to trap the lowend? Usually people to 2feet by 4 feet by 4" bass traps. I am wanting to use 1ft x 4ft x 4" in the corners floor to ceiling. Anyone know if I would have trouble with this?
Old 17th October 2013
Here for the gear

My landlord had built this small cave inside a garage that I am using. Basically it hugs the right corner of the garage. So the Front wall is drywall as well as the right wall. The ceiling is Plywood as well as the Back wall and Left Wall. The left wall and back wall have plywood then are framed, insulated with just regular insulation and then another piece of plywood. I have acoustic absorbers to my first reflection areas. Also it is important to note the floor is concrete. Overall the sound isn't too bad to my ears and references I have done. It just seems I am getting a lot of mud in the 100 to 300 range and in corners of course it is more bass in those areas. Please note I refer walls according to the listening position.
Old 17th October 2013
Gear Guru

1' across really is not wide enough, and it pushes the front further back so not as much space behind the trap, which you want. I have never done 1' across but would think even straddling corners it is only reaching 200hz. It reminds me of my test with foam wedges that are close to the same size on the face.
Comparing Acoustic Foam to GIK 244 Bass Traps
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtpini View Post
I have a small mixing space...I mean really small. It is 6ft tall, 8 feet wide and 10 feet long. I have positioned my desk pretty close to the front wall to try and avoid the 50% spot of the room. I am building bass traps and I don't have a lot of owens corning 703 as I live on Maui and it is hard to find. My question is if I do floor to ceiling bass traps that are 4" thick can I make them floor to ceiling but at only 1 foot wide to trap the lowend? Usually people to 2feet by 4 feet by 4" bass traps. I am wanting to use 1ft x 4ft x 4" in the corners floor to ceiling. Anyone know if I would have trouble with this?
Do you have anything other for absorption or only OC 703?

Quote:
My landlord had built this small cave inside a garage that I am using. Basically it hugs the right corner of the garage. So the Front wall is drywall as well as the right wall. The ceiling is Plywood as well as the Back wall and Left Wall. The left wall and back wall have plywood then are framed, insulated with just regular insulation and then another piece of plywood.
So you don't have any stiff boundary except floor?
Quote:
Also it is important to note the floor is concrete.
That is ok.
Quote:
Overall the sound isn't too bad to my ears and references I have done. It just seems I am getting a lot of mud in the 100 to 300 range
This can be also vibration of plywood, not only "resonances"....
Quote:

and in corners of course it is more bass in those areas.
Don't sit in the corners...
Quote:
Please note I refer walls according to the listening position.
Can you find some other absorbent similar to OC703 and treat all surfaces above floor... with 4" or even 6" thick treatment (behind speakers...)?

After that ... do some binary diffusers above treatment:
DIY Binary Amplitude Diffuser anyone?

Old 18th October 2013
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Kuras View Post
1' across really is not wide enough and it pushes the front further back so not as much space behind the trap, which you want. I have never done 1' across but would think even straddling corners it is only reaching 200hz. Reminds me of my test with foam wedges that are close to the same size on the face.
Comparing Acoustic Foam to GIK 244 Bass Traps
Thanks Glenn. I appreciate the input
Old 18th October 2013
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by boggy View Post
Do you have anything other for absorption or only OC 703?

So you don't have any stiff boundary except floor?

That is ok.

This can be also vibration of plywood, not only "resonances"....

Don't sit in the corners...

Can you find some other absorbent similar to OC703 and treat all surfaces above floor... with 4" or even 6" thick treatment (behind speakers...)?

After that ... do some binary diffusers above treatment:
DIY Binary Amplitude Diffuser anyone?

Great thanks for the input I will check out the binary diffusers. I think I really need to get a measurement of my room with a Omni measuring mic. I did some test with my condenser mic but that really doesn't do me much good I don't think. It isn't Omni directional.
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

If you are measuring your room REW is a good choice. Here's a link to the free download and a user guide video -
Room EQ Wizard Tutorial - GIK Acoustics
Old 21st October 2013
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

Quote:
I have a small mixing space...I mean really small.
I got your PM, but you're already getting the right advice so I have nothing to add for now.

--Ethan

The Acoustic Treatment Experts
Old 24th October 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Hey Man,

Any chance you could find another room with larger dimensions? Your room volume and dimensions are so small that no matter what you try and do it will only be a band aid on a much more serious issues. You will have reflection and pressure issues that no amount of room treatment will help you and I hate to see you try so many different things that will never be able to work for you. You will just end up frustrated.

I have built over 100 rooms and the issues you are facing are just too great to be impacted by foam wedges and boxes filled with building insulation. I would rather see you spend your hard earned money on a room that at least has a fighting chance to produce some type of sound quality.

Cheers,
Mike
Old 20th December 2013
Here for the gear

Mtpini, my room is almost the same size! 10' width x 9' length with a 8' ceiling. I'm building six 4" Bass Traps with 2 reflection panels using Roxul safe n sound as a starting part. Anybody am I in the right direction?
Old 22nd December 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooney Heat View Post
Mtpini, my room is almost the same size! 10' width x 9' length with a 8' ceiling. I'm building six 4" Bass Traps with 2 reflection panels using Roxul safe n sound as a starting part. Anybody am I in the right direction?
It may be even better if you try to learn to use quality headphones (open type, sennheiser hd 650 e. g.). It is smaller investment, but with more benefits, than to treat room which is that small
Old 3rd January 2014
Here for the gear

Hi Boggy, thanks for the advice on the headphones but i still attempted to treat my little space. I don't think it can cause any harm. But here are a few i've made for my studio.

[IMG]

Old 3rd January 2014
Here for the gear

Smile

Old 4th January 2014
nms
Lives for gear

With rooms this small you need to get serious and put some proper thick traps in if you want any chance of fixing the low end substantially.

16" square traps floor to ceiling in all 4 corners will give you such results.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search