The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Need advice for treatment for control room and live room
Old 15th October 2013
Here for the gear

Need advice for treatment for control room and live room

Longtime lurker here. After quite a bit of researching, I’d like to get some feedback on my plans to treat a couple of rooms. The first is a small (10x10x10) control/mixing room. With a room this small, it seems like tons of bass trapping and absorption is the way to go. The only way to preserve stereo symmetry in front of the listener is to place the listener facing the window, which creates a fairly untreatable back wall. I plan on two large superchunks (24” or 34” face, floor to ceiling, using R-30) in the corners in front of the listener along with 6” panels of Safe ‘n Sound at the first reflection points on the walls. Additionally, I can put a large bass trap on top of the built-in bookshelf, 6” absorbers behind the monitors, more absorbers on the walls behind the listener, and cover most of the ceiling with 3” or 6” Safe’n’Sound (Is a full ring around the ceiling too much? Maybe just at first reflections?). The main issue is sound reflecting off the back wall; I can’t think of a way to treat that. Would another listener orientation be better? I could use a 10x11x10 room as an alternative; it is rectangular without the angled wall, but has only one full corner available for bass trapping and also makes it more difficult to run cables to the live room.

The next room I want to treat is a 15’x20’x10’ living/theater room that will hopefully double as a live room by removing a few pieces of furniture. There is an adjoining 12’x15’x10’ dining room, and an opening to the entryway. The room has some nice wood paneling that I’d like to cover as little as possible. The room sounds fairly good as a live room now, but I’m sure some absorption (not too much), bass traps, and diffusion could really make it better. I think some wide-band absorbers (6” safe ‘n sound, shown as blue/black rectangles) would work nicely on the walls and ceiling in the middle of the larger sections, but I’m struggling to figure out a good way to implement bass traps in this room. I can easily do some bass traps on the ceiling near the entryway or in the corners of the dining room without looking too out of place (shown as orange shapes / red outlines), if that would help. I’m also wondering if there would be good ways to add diffusers to this room without taking too much wall space. What about doing binary amplitude diffusers on the wide-band traps (not enough surface area?)? Maybe 2-D QRDs put on the floor during recording could reduce flutter between the ceiling and large tile floor?
Thanks in advance.

Lots of pictures:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search