The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Home studio diffusion help
Old 12th October 2013
Here for the gear

Home studio diffusion help

I run a home recording studio and am currently trying to do some renovations to improve the acoustics of the room for tracking. The room is "L" shaped. The short end of the "L" is where my control room is located. I currently have some auralex absorbers for most of the early reflections that come from my monitors. The longer part if the "L" is the live tracking room. The ceilings are only 7' and drums always seem to be suffering in all of my recordings. I added an auralex foam absorber above where I track drums and it seemed to help, but it is almost too dead now. I have been considering building some diffusers to replace the foam to hopefully make the room sound a little bigger. There are also some bookshelves in the tracking area that I would like to add some diffusion to. I started building the diffusers using miscellaneous sizes and shapes of 2x4 that I will fit into the bookshelves and to suspend above the drum area. However, whenever I started researching more, some sites state that random diffusion without calculations can cause more problems than it can solve. I am considering doing it anyway because I'm not sure that it can sound much worse than it does now. I would appreciate any advice I could get on the subject!
Old 13th October 2013
Lives for gear

Those sites can be right about random diffusion. Calculated diffusers not only diffusers sound but evenly and to recalculated roots.
If you are having such trouble with your room why not try one of the manufacturer's free advice forms and see what they suggest?
Old 13th October 2013
Here for the gear

Thanks, I will give that a shot!
Old 13th October 2013
Lives for gear
Tape Op magazine had an article a while back on how to build an inexpensive diffusor from 2x2s based on a BBC design I think
Old 14th October 2013
Here for the gear

Thanks Paul, I found the article and it was immensely helpful! I'm working on building it now!
Old 19th October 2013
Lives for gear
No problem man I'm planning on building a couple soon too!
Old 19th October 2013
Lives for gear
One more thing to consider is that the foam will deaden the high end but doesn't do anything to control the low frequencies which are more of the problem. You could buy or make some fiberglass or mineral wool bass traps and hang them over the drums to make the ceiling "disappear" somewhat

Sent from my SCH-I200
Old 22nd October 2013
Here for the gear

The ceiling does seem to be my biggest problem, especially since it is so low. Thanks for the idea! Do you know of any DIY sites for that type of bass trap?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search