The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
How I built my bass traps... Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 26th October 2009
Lives for gear

My traps are coming along great! I have 4 down 6 more to go. This isn't the room I am putting them in but just have them in here for pics. They turned out better than I expected. They ended up costing me $25 each to make. Got the oc703 and fabric pretty cheap.

front

back
Old 26th October 2009
Gear Head

I completed my own first round of traps and absorbers today (7 panels in total). They came out to just about $22 per trap. I used 1" Certainteed 703 equivalent, black burlap from Joanne's for the front, thin weed control fabric for the back.

I don't have an electric miter saw, so I had to do all of the cuts by hand with a miter box. The cutting probably took longer than anything else.

I was initially going to try a hinged swing out system for the back wall corner traps (they block the room entrance door and closet), but that proved to be too much of a pain, so I just threw together a couple of wooden frame stands.

Note: Our Sunday paper seems to have a Joanne's coupon every week. The one last weekend was for 50%, but they will only give you 50% off of one item, which includes them exhausting one bolt of fabric, and moving on to another bolt, despite it being the same product. I needed approx 14 yards of fabric, and since there was only 7 yards on each bolt, I only received the 50% off of 7 yards worth. The rest was full price. Sneaky bastards.
Attached Thumbnails
How I built my bass traps...-traps-1.jpg   How I built my bass traps...-traps-2.jpg   How I built my bass traps...-traps-3.jpg   How I built my bass traps...-traps-4.jpg  
Old 26th October 2009
Lives for gear

Those look really nice! Did you leave the frk paper on the front of some? i left it on for all my corners and the first reflection traps i did without it.
Old 26th October 2009
Gear Head

Thanks. As for the FRK, I did exactly the same as you.
Old 27th October 2009
Lives for gear

I just finished my traps tonight and put them in place and WOW. the room sounds sooo much better. It's amazing really. Best $300 I ever spent. Thank you everyone for the help.
Old 28th October 2009
Gear Head

Yep, the change in my room is very noticeable. I don't have the capability to test right now, but will when I get a chance. However, I could hear problems in my room on normal recordings before, and now those problems are pretty much gone. I know I still have some room for tweaking, but I'd guess I'm already 75% of the way there.
Old 29th October 2009
Gear interested

For all of you that are reading this forum and wondering whether to build your own acoustic treatment whether it be bass traps or otherwise you should check out this video that I made.

Hopefully you should be able to hear the difference that it has made to my studio. Enjoy!
Old 30th October 2009
Lives for gear

cool video, I just did 10 Diy basstraps and my room sounds 100% better.
Old 30th October 2009
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretension View Post
For all of you that are reading this forum and wondering whether to build your own acoustic treatment whether it be bass traps or otherwise you should check out this video that I made.

Hopefully you should be able to hear the difference that it has made to my studio. Enjoy!
Very nice, difference is night and day (or with-without the non-existing reverb heh )
Old 30th October 2009
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gharper23 View Post
cool video, I just did 10 Diy basstraps and my room sounds 100% better.
Yeah it's good to hear it hey. It's amazing what a couple hundred dollars and a few hours can do.

Glad you guys liked the vid.
Old 4th November 2009
Surrounded By Music

Quote:
Originally Posted by dykstraster@gmai View Post

Odds and Ends

Frames are purely for looks and mounting...they aren't even really necessary, and in fact, the less of your absorption you have touching a wooden or metal frame, the better it preforms.
I have a question regarding this:

I'm about to build a riser for the sofa (my home studio also functions as a listening room plus home cinema) with 3 Europaletten plus frames.

I was going to fill them with Rockwool so they can act as bass traps. Will this have any effect at all? I wanted to stuff them full to avoid any resonance of the 3 wooden boxes, but since you wrote touching the wooden or metal frame reduces the performance, is this a bad idea?

Thanks for the info.
Old 4th November 2009
Gear Nut

Quote:

excellent video! thanks for taking the time to share your experiment with us. i absolutely love the color scheme of your studio with the bass traps and everything. looks great man
Old 6th November 2009
Lives for gear

For some reason I can't get that link to load for the product you're going to use for the riser. In any case, there are a couple of things to consider.

If the riser is fully enclosed, it will need to be filled with insulation to prevent ringing. The top can't act as a panel absorber because it will be damped by the furniture. The sides might do a little something but you don't know what due to it likely being relatively short and stiff.

Now, if you use something where the sides are open and the top is solid, then absolutely, it will act as a broadband absorber - still needs the insulation.

Bryan
Old 16th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpape View Post

Now, if you use something where the sides are open and the top is solid, then absolutely, it will act as a broadband absorber - still needs the insulation.

Bryan
For a shorter tri-corner based trap that would go under a desk, would it be beneficial to make the top and bottom triangles (or squares if its shaped that way) open framed instead of solid top and bottom pieces?
Old 17th November 2009
Gear Head

guys this is by far the best thread on this forum. im so inspired to get stuff done now!

Few questions though:

ive seen the term '703' come up a bit. is that a density? i live in australia so everything avalible here is totally different to american/europe. whats something specific i should look for in the insulation im buying?

whats the best way to mount these on the wall but so they dont sit flat on the wall? id like to make 6 or 7 of these, one of them a cloud- should i treat the cloud/cieling panel any differently?

to use these as bass traps, should they be the entire height of the room?

and the last one, im a bit confused as to how these should be mounted in corners as bass traps, there was a bit of arguing about weather they should be air tight or what...whats with that?

thanks heaps guys!
Old 17th November 2009
Gear nut

It'd also be nice to find an Acoustisorb (made in Australia) dealer in the USA. Appears to be a very nice alternative to OC 703 or mineral wool.

Pretension,

Most excellent video you made. Production was amazing too!
Old 17th November 2009
Gear interested

Thanks for the comments waveheavy and dragonxking. I appreciate it.

As for the Tontine acoustisorb in the states, I am not sure if it's available there but I am sure that someone would be creating a similar product. This is the spec sheet (http://www.soundblock.com.au/pdf/ton...ustisorb_3.pdf) for those of you that may want to track down a similar product over there.

It's easy to work with, reasonably priced and works just as well.
Old 18th November 2009
Gear Head

Quote:
Thanks for the comments waveheavy and dragonxking. I appreciate it.

As for the Tontine acoustisorb in the states, I am not sure if it's available there but I am sure that someone would be creating a similar product. This is the spec sheet (http://www.soundblock.com.au/pdf/ton...ustisorb_3.pdf) for those of you that may want to track down a similar product over there.

Hey pretension- ive been following your blog for a while. I like it, and your panels. awsome stuff. as a fellow aussie, id like to know where you got that stuff from- bunnings? or is it a bit more of a hassle to get your hands on them?

And to everyone else, ive just managed to get 40 of these at a good price:

they measure 12" (300mm) square. What would be a good way to arrange these to have the same or a similar benefit as the panels everyone here is making?
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:

I've just gone through a search for this stuff and every single link I came
across was from Australia. Why would this be ? I smell a conspiracy

Seems to me polyester would be ideal, though probably more expensive than
mineral wool or fiberglass.

Paul P
Old 19th November 2009
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillis View Post
Hey pretension- ive been following your blog for a while. I like it, and your panels. awsome stuff. as a fellow aussie, id like to know where you got that stuff from- bunnings? or is it a bit more of a hassle to get your hands on them?
I'm in Brisbane, and I got mine from a place called Plastamasta. There's a few stores around town. I've also heard of it being available at some Bunnings but they didn't have it at my local.

If you are elsewhere in Australia I'd suggest calling around various insulation suppliers. I managed to find out about Plastamasta via another forum so you might need to do a bit of investigating.

and PaulP..... we've been stockpiling the stuff for years. We use it to line our bomb shelters such that when the invasion from the northern hemisphere comes, we can all hide away and have super loud rave parties underground. haha. Do you want me to put you on the doorlist?
Old 29th November 2009
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by briansmallroom View Post
I completed my own first round of traps and absorbers today (7 panels in total). They came out to just about $22 per trap. I used 1" Certainteed 703 equivalent, black burlap from Joanne's for the front, thin weed control fabric for the back.
Hey man, can you post some pics of your stands? They look gr8!heh
Old 2nd December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedevelta View Post

I Read the whole thread from front to back, love this trap design. I'm just wondering how you would mount those a few inches off the walls? There's not much frame to drill into and the good places already have screws in them. All I see on those pictures is a hole in the middle of the short side of the frame.
Old 6th December 2009
For obvious reasons (27 pages) I haven't read every post here but I was wondering something...

I'm planning to build my traps soon as I have a load of Rockwool left over from a thermal insulation job. I was planning to use aluminum to build my frames. Thin U-channel stuff to cover the sides (and a small bit of the front and back) to ensure everything stays in place (they will be getting transported between my two locations every so often) and a piece of hardboard on the back to staple my fabric to. Is there a problem with me doing this? Do I need to keep the back open? Also, do I have to take the foil off of the back? Is there a problem using metal instead of wood?

I never even considered these issues until about 5 minutes ago when I thought about air going THROUGH the traps, with hardboard on the back, how is it getting through. Will my design be better if I keep the hardboard to a minimum (lots of large holes)?

Thanks in advance thumbsup
Old 6th December 2009
Gear interested

Posting to say this thread has been a great resource and to say thanks to everyone who posted their designs. Special thanks to all the pros coming here to share their technical knowledge.

I wanted to share my design as well, as I haven't seen anyone doing it exactly this way. My main constraint was cost. I was able to put these together for about 25 bucks a piece. I wanted them to be a little more rugged, so I can move them around for location recording without damaging them. That's why I put the wood on the outside of the fabric. I was kind of wondering if anyone thinks this will have a detrimental effect on their absorption properties. I'm kind of committed to the design at this point anyway I guess.
How I built my bass traps...-4163268999_bd93825814.jpg

How I built my bass traps...-4164031120_31f595ee70.jpg

The wood is 1x2 fir from Home Depot. It's garbage wood, but if you spend a little time sorting it, you can find some straight pieces. It's only 80 cents for 8 feet. I would have preferred to buy from a local lumberyard, but the guy at the pro desk was very helpful in helping me track down the OC 703, so I felt better about it.

The fabric is 1.50 a yard unbleached muslin from Jo-Ann fabric.

OC 703 from a local supplier.
Old 6th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adlen View Post
For obvious reasons (27 pages) I haven't read every post here but I was wondering something...

I'm planning to build my traps soon as I have a load of Rockwool left over from a thermal insulation job. I was planning to use aluminum to build my frames. Thin U-channel stuff to cover the sides (and a small bit of the front and back) to ensure everything stays in place (they will be getting transported between my two locations every so often) and a piece of hardboard on the back to staple my fabric to. Is there a problem with me doing this? Do I need to keep the back open? Also, do I have to take the foil off of the back? Is there a problem using metal instead of wood?

I never even considered these issues until about 5 minutes ago when I thought about air going THROUGH the traps, with hardboard on the back, how is it getting through. Will my design be better if I keep the hardboard to a minimum (lots of large holes)?

Thanks in advance thumbsup
you want as much insulation exposed as possible, so yes, def. want the back open...

if you have foil on the rockwool, it should be facing the front not the back. people use the foil so they dont make room too dead.

wood or metal is a matter of personal preferance, and ease of construction. I like wood better, easier to make the frame with IMO and gives you something to staple the fabric onto..

You can makes holes/design into the sides of the bass trap, makes them more efficient...whether it be metal or wood....
Old 6th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockear View Post
I was kind of wondering if anyone thinks this will have a detrimental effect on their absorption properties.
No. Wouldnt make a difference if it was covered with fabric...

if it did, you wouldnt be able to tell the difference anyways...

the sides of the frame are open...so they will work well.
Old 6th December 2009
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by takman View Post
No. Wouldnt make a difference if it was covered with fabric...

if it did, you wouldnt be able to tell the difference anyways...

the sides of the frame are open...so they will work well.
Thanks takman. That was my thought as well.

Compliments on your build by the way. I wish I could have made mine as attractive as yours. I had to do these with a hand saw! I keep telling myself "You can't hear how they look."
Old 7th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockear View Post
Thanks takman. That was my thought as well.

Compliments on your build by the way. I wish I could have made mine as attractive as yours. I had to do these with a hand saw! I keep telling myself "You can't hear how they look."
thanks.

yea no worries, they will get the job done.
Old 14th December 2009
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryuben View Post
To cut them into triangles, cut your 2x4 sheet of wool in half so that you have 2 2x2 sheets. Then get a straight edge and a knife and cut those 2x2's in half *diagnally*
Then just stack the triangles on top of each other.

Attached is what I did with OC703 for my corner traps - I put them into a frame and covered them with GOM.

As a side note - I ended up elevating my corner traps so that I can make use of the electrical outlets that are in my corners...I know it would be good to get that floor/wall/wall corner...my studio is not in a permanent location so later, when I move my small studio, I can remove those legs and make these corner traps stackable in my new space.
EXCELLENT! I was thinking of doing something like this! I plan to stack two of each front corner of my room and cover the whole 8' height. Do you guys think this will work well? In terms of the absorptive material, can it be Safe N Sound, or should it really be OC703? I'm just kinda unsure because of the itchiness issues w/ fiberglass, didn't want to have to cut all that much. Also, do the wooden bars on the back affect anything acoustically? Was planning on using facing, glued to the front fabric.

Like Ryuben, I also want my superchunks to NOT be permanent.
Old 14th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millo 3.1 View Post
EXCELLENT! I was thinking of doing something like this! I plan to stack two of each front corner of my room and cover the whole 8' height. Do you guys think this will work well? In terms of the absorptive material, can it be ULTRAtouch or Safe N Sound, or should it really be OC703? I'm just kinda unsure because of the itchiness issues w/ fiberglass, didn't want to have to cut all that much. Also, do the wooden bars on the back affect anything acoustically? Was planing on using facing, glued to the front fabric.

Like Ryuben, I also want my superchunks to NOT be permanent.
Ultratouch should be good at the 3.5" thickness, but dont go for anything thicker, as the absorption properties seem to indicate that it might start to reflect at greater thicknesses.

I myself decided to take a big gamble and buy some unproven Isonat hemp/cotton stuff. I knew the 100% hemp was good acoustically, but I couldn't find any in stock at thickness I wanted so went for half hemp half cotton. Still waiting for proper figures on the hemp/cotton mixture (specifically waiting for gas flow resistance values.)

The stuff was an absolute bitch to cut, tried saws, blads, scissors, nightmare. Easy to use with hands, no protective gloves needed. I have very sensitive skin, rashes easily and I didn't get anything from man handling this stuff.

I still decided to wear mask whilst cutting though just to be on safe side.

Initial testing of just single panel on back wall didn't show much change in problem bass frequencies, but it did seem to improve the general soundstage quite a bit. Instruments sounded a tad more clear and could slightly better identify their pan position. This was with insulation just sitting loosely in frame. Hopefully once fabric goes on it'll still be as effective.

Once I get the air flow resistance figure I'll have a better idea of whether to stick with 100mm thickness or go 200mm for the other panels...

P.S. The insulation absolutely STANK when I first got it. Almost like a vinegary smell, must be the kind of salt they use, ammonium salt maybe?. Gonna let it air for few more days before I move it permanently into the studio.
Attached Thumbnails
How I built my bass traps...-frame.jpg   How I built my bass traps...-isonat.jpg  
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search