The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Mapleshade Maple Trilateral Diffuser
Old 29th May 2013
Gear Head

Mapleshade Maple Trilateral Diffuser

Just got a Mapleshade catalog and noticed they sell an interesting little triangular diffuser. That's all well and good, but in the product description they pretty much dismiss common acoustic treatments. Here, from their catalog...

Your room is a component that benefits from careful, listening-based upgrades just as much as your speakers, your electronics or your wires. Twenty-five years of treating recording studios and playback rooms to achieve crystal clear, excitingly dynamic sound has taught me it is essential to break up the “mirror” reflections of flat walls—and to do so without adding sound-absorbing foams, panels or traps. Absorbers may appear to solve a slap-echo problem, but they always kill treble airiness, squash dynamics and induce weird tonal imbalances. Instead, breaking up wall flatness with properly contoured, non-absorbing diffusers to disperse sound in all directions invariably improves sonic clarity, transient impact, detail and sound stage.

Not surprisingly, listening comparisons show solid wood, preferably maple, to be the best diffuser material. Hollow diffusers sound worse; the highly touted quadratic residue diffusers (based on canceling resonances in adjacent “tuned wells”) sound worse yet. Using these findings, we designed the massively solid and highly effective Trilateral Diffusers. Hung in mosaic patterns on the walls behind speakers as well as on side walls, they transform the sound of “problem” rooms—and their gleaming, Amish-crafted Ambrosia maple add warm, strikingly handsome accents to room décor. 30-day money back.

Maple Trilateral Diffuser (natural maple)-Mapleshade

So I guess thousands of recording studios the world over have been going at it all wrong.

Thoughts?

- Michael
Old 30th May 2013
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinnitusintx View Post
So I guess thousands of recording studios the world over have been going at it all wrong.
LOL, yes. That entire site is riddle with "questionable" audiophile products (to be kind). And that "diffuser" you linked to is surely less effective than a real QRD diffuser.

--Ethan

The Acoustic Treatment Experts
Old 30th May 2013
Lives for gear

given that they're $125/3 you'd probably be into it for thousands of $ before you realized any effect... you could readily create a nice diffusive wall using narrow strips of absorption spread across the surface or scattering a bunch of small absorber units (all 4" deep of course ) and for a lot less $.
Old 30th May 2013
Lives for gear

But it wouldn't look as cool
Old 31st May 2013
Lives for gear

true, and once you paint them flat black to match the walls, then the coolness factor goes up by ten!
Old 31st May 2013
Lives for gear

I think this is why it always best where possible to look up the companies independent laboratory test results you buy anything.

I mean in our experience using GIK panels will get you more girls. Now how many panels do you want? Remember the number you buy goes up in direct correlation with your sex appeal

Hahaha lol
Old 4th June 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:
I mean in our experience using GIK panels will get you more girls. Now how many panels do you want?

I had to buy a lot to get this gem Dave!!

Old 5th June 2013
Lives for gear

Just think, all of that work... for a tiny little stone...

Congrats
Old 6th July 2020
Here for the gear

Have you actually tried any of their products? I have and they are absolutely fantastic delivering 100% and then some on the promises made. It always amazes me how people make fun of things they do not understand and have never tried or heard so they instead make fun of them or call them corrupt. I think these are the same people who think Monster cables sound good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinnitusintx View Post
Just got a Mapleshade catalog and noticed they sell an interesting little triangular diffuser. That's all well and good, but in the product description they pretty much dismiss common acoustic treatments. Here, from their catalog...

Your room is a component that benefits from careful, listening-based upgrades just as much as your speakers, your electronics or your wires. Twenty-five years of treating recording studios and playback rooms to achieve crystal clear, excitingly dynamic sound has taught me it is essential to break up the “mirror” reflections of flat walls—and to do so without adding sound-absorbing foams, panels or traps. Absorbers may appear to solve a slap-echo problem, but they always kill treble airiness, squash dynamics and induce weird tonal imbalances. Instead, breaking up wall flatness with properly contoured, non-absorbing diffusers to disperse sound in all directions invariably improves sonic clarity, transient impact, detail and sound stage.

Not surprisingly, listening comparisons show solid wood, preferably maple, to be the best diffuser material. Hollow diffusers sound worse; the highly touted quadratic residue diffusers (based on canceling resonances in adjacent “tuned wells”) sound worse yet. Using these findings, we designed the massively solid and highly effective Trilateral Diffusers. Hung in mosaic patterns on the walls behind speakers as well as on side walls, they transform the sound of “problem” rooms—and their gleaming, Amish-crafted Ambrosia maple add warm, strikingly handsome accents to room décor. 30-day money back.

Maple Trilateral Diffuser (natural maple)-Mapleshade

Thoughts?

- Michael
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear