Holiday shop via this link to support the forum!
Acoustically treat my room or no?
Old 4th February 2013
Gear interested

Acoustically treat my room or no?

I will get to it, this is my bed room. I have a couple views of a scaled drawing that I made in SketchUp. It is of course a little bedroom that I sleep in, record in, and mix in.

I would like to treat it (if able to) and help produce better sounds out of the room. Should I add bass traps, foam, diffusers? Etc..

I have the top down(ish) angles to just show a basic layout.

Heres the basic measurements of the room
Height(Floor to Ceiling)=8.5'

I am willing to build my own traps and make adjustments to it but I just want to see if anyone has a basic idea of what you should even do with a room this small?

Of course its hard to tell without seeing/hearing the room, but I know there are plenty of you smart dudes out there who could make some surefire suggestions.

Thanks for looking/helping
Old 4th February 2013
Lives for gear

There are many factors involved with acoustic treatment; budget budget being a big one. You will not be able to turn your bedroom into a recording studio. Having said that, you will notice a difference with every foam panel, bass trap, diffusor, etc. you install. I would recommend light treatment with some foam to help with early reflections. You'll definitely notice a difference. The improvement will inspire you to build bass traps which actually make the biggest difference in a small room.

Be prepared for overwhelming advice about how you actually need to rebuild you house to get the frequency build up at 400Hz under control (I'm exaggerating...slightly). I would suggest making small changes at a time instead of spending a lot of money treating a room you're not even sure is worth it.

What I tell people is, "Once you hear a properly treated room, no one needs to explain why you need it. " Same with studio monitors but thats a different topic.
Old 12th February 2013
Lives for gear

A multi-use room always involves compromises, but with some research and careful planning, you should be able to improve things dramatically. Let's start with a few basics...

1. Your listening position/desk should be symetrical between the walls on the left and right.
2. Broadband abroption (not foam) at first reflection points - side walls, ceiling, and rear walls.
3. For a small room like yours, you can't over-do corner bass traps (wall-ceiling corners are often a good choice because they don't take up any floor space).

Of course, the biggest compromise will be mainating this as a usable bedroom. How do you feel about a sleeping bag on the floor every night?
Loading mentioned products ...

Welcome to Gearslutz Pro Audio Forum!

Registration benefits include:
  • Ability to make and reply to posts
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant lifetime access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20
  • List your eBay auctions for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search