The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Recommend an acoustic designer/architect?
Old 8th August 2006
Gear Maniac

Recommend an acoustic designer/architect?

Howdy, folks. I'm looking for any & all recommendations for an acoustic designer or (better yet) an architect experienced in studio acoustics and operation.

I have a whole mess of ideas, most of them scrawled on napkins. I'd like to think that I'm just smart enough to know when to leave it to the professionals.

I'm located in central Connecticut, and ideally would like to meet with someone face to face, so they can look at the space I have to work with. It's sort of an odd space. Dungeon-like, and... well, dungeon-like.

You guys know anyone I should talk to?
Old 8th August 2006
Lives for gear

There's actually a guy in a smalla town called remington, va, I think..
That has an acoustic space designing company..

He's done big churches and auditoriums, and stuff
I will look him up for you

http://www.polysonics-corp.com/

this may to small a scale for him, or you, but I thought I would try and help
Old 8th August 2006
One with big hooves

Francis Manzella is in NY, just a few hours away and really, it's tough to find some one "better" at studio design, just different or worse!

www.fmdesign.com

Some of those designs can cost $20-50K just to design...before a hammer is even swung. What kind of scale is the project? What's the space like & what are your intentions for it?
Old 8th August 2006
Gear Maniac

Thanks to both of you guys...

The space is about 1,500 square feet, in a basement that my boss wants to "make use of." If it was up to me, I'd build a new space, but I'm not the one writing the checks. It seems the point is to use the room.

Anyway, it's not a large space, but the budget is there for some quality gear and if I'm careful and plan well I'll end up with a nice little space that can really do a helluva job with some regional bands and acoustic acts. I'd love to 'specialize' in acoustic stuff, but bizness is bizness, right?

The only obstacle (structure-wise) that I can see putting the brakes on the whole thing is that the floor joists (above) are only 7 feet off the floor... once you float the floor and treat the ceiling, there isn't a whole lot of headroom left. I'm hoping clever architect can figure something out...
Old 8th August 2006
TML
Lives for gear

Manzella is on an all time high. He just finished the gigs for those 2 loaded Vegas dudes. Nobody is throwing that kinda money around except the ultra rich who pay people to jerk around the place and run stuff while they sit back and get a photo op for mix. Ask him about a 1200-1500 ft room. the reply will be..."do you have about 500 g's in the bank". That's cool. Most records today are made in bathrooms. Save your dough. Get Coopers book on studio design. Spend time on Sayers site. Unless you really got cash to burn and clients to back it up.
Tim
Old 8th August 2006
$75,000 in plans is not uncommon, and $20,000 for plans is about entry level with many of the big guys. Again, we're just talking about the paper. Building it is many multiples of that. Russ Berger and Pilchner Schoustal are good examples. The rooms are sweet, but expensive from start to finish.

However, you can get some more basic designs from some excellent and experienced designers for less. Some designers can find the time and are willing to do more modest studios. George Augspurger is a good example of a fine designer who is willing to work within a budget. You may not get things like a site visit or project management, but you can get a design and some great consultation to allow you to build it yourself. Other designers worth chekcing out include Vincent Van Haaf and Chris Pelonis.
Old 8th August 2006
Old 8th August 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TML View Post
Manzella is on an all time high. He just finished the gigs for those 2 loaded Vegas dudes. Nobody is throwing that kinda money around except the ultra rich who pay people to jerk around the place and run stuff while they sit back and get a photo op for mix. Ask him about a 1200-1500 ft room. the reply will be..."do you have about 500 g's in the bank". That's cool. Most records today are made in bathrooms. Save your dough. Get Coopers book on studio design. Spend time on Sayers site. Unless you really got cash to burn and clients to back it up.
Tim

There's some good advice from someone who obviously knows what they're talking about.

Old 8th August 2006
Lives for gear

Mike Lozinski 609-397-1240. Fantastic designer, great guy to work with. May be less expensive than the big names. thumbsup
Old 8th August 2006
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

Shandy,

> I'm located in central Connecticut, and ideally would like to meet with someone face to face ... The space is about 1,500 square feet, in a basement <

You already got good advice and links to some of the top designers. If those kinds of fees are more than you're looking to invest, I may be able to help. You can email me through my company's site, linked under my name below. I'm in Connecticut too, though that's not as important as you might think. I help people all over the world with their rooms.

--Ethan
Old 8th August 2006
Lives for gear

+1 For Fran Manzella
Old 8th August 2006
Gear Maniac

Hey, thanks for all your responses... I'm looking into them all (okay, maybe I'll forego the Manzella recommendation for now).

Ethan, I'll be in touch shortly.

I'm sure I'll also be putting up one of those obnoxious "What do you think of my gear list" posts soon, too...
Old 8th August 2006
Gear Maniac

Don't forget John Sayers site; a basement project might benefit greatly there. thumbsup

http://johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/index.php

Best,

Dave
Old 8th August 2006
Fran M is great...and a great guy too.

let me also give a nod to Mark Genfan. he designed our room
here in Austin, and may be perfect for the scale you're looking
at.

http://www.acousticspaces.com/

cheers,
marty.
Old 8th August 2006
Gear Maniac

I've been spending a lot of time on John Sayer's site already. There's more information there than I'd know what to do with... not just the design forum, but also the "Recording Manual" section is incredible. Kinda makes you realize how much more there is left to learn...
Old 9th August 2006
TML
Lives for gear

Don't bet me wrong.... I'm not dissing Manzella or anyone ouit there with the ablilty and talent to create a good recording environment. But given the state of the industry....you should get a basic concept of what you need from other resources before you start making calls.
Tim
Old 9th August 2006
Gear Maniac

Have you considered John Storyk? www.wsdg.com. I highly recommend him.
Old 9th August 2006
George Augspurger - he's been designing rooms longer than many 'top designers' have been alive, and he's the only guy that I've never heard a bad room from. And he costs about 25% of what the interior-designers-come-acousticians charge...
Old 9th August 2006
Lives for gear

Has anyone used Chris Huston or Richard Bird from Rives Audio? I've worked peripherally with Richard on a couple home theater designs, and they seem to have a pretty good system in place whereby they can do complete design & consultation including detailed blueprints for about $10k per room. (Naturally that does *not* include fabrication or installation, so you still need to find a general contractor experienced in following very specific plans. And a suitcase full of cash.) They're definitely smart guys with lots of experience, & I've seen pictures of their studio & control room projects, but never spoke to any end users so don't know how their rooms compare to Fran, John, Russ, et al.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search