The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
How doesRoxul Safe n Sound perform?
Old 28th November 2012
Gear Head
How doesRoxul Safe n Sound perform?

So in my area there is no Owens Corning dealer that will can sell the 700 series but there is Roxul SafenSound at my Lowes. How does it preform as bass traps and acoustic panels? I'm trying to treat my room and this stuff isn't priced bad at all.
Old 28th November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylendm View Post
So in my area there is no Owens Corning dealer that will can sell the 700 series but there is Roxul SafenSound at my Lowes. How does it preform as bass traps and acoustic panels? I'm trying to treat my room and this stuff isn't priced bad at all.
Safe N Sound is one of the great bargains for absorbers. A little light at single thickness, and just about perfect at double and triple layering.

Andre
Old 28th November 2012
Gear Head
Great! The fact they come in a pack of eight is nice too. I might buy a few cases of it after i get some feedback in my other thread about the acoustics in my untreated room.
Old 30th November 2012
Lives for gear

I will be all over this stuff once I finish planning my next phase. Cost and local availability (big boxes are expensive to ship!) make it a winner for me.
Old 3rd December 2012
Here for the gear

I'll be able to help you out with an answer in a few days. I'm using only Roxul Safe 'n Sound (except I'm using Johns Manville R-30 for the superchucks).

Compared to OC 703/705, Roxul is a different beast and doesn't play by the same rules. Here are a few things I've gathered from poking around GS...

According to a post in 2010(?) Avare stated that Roxul SnS should be at least 9" thick at the first reflections points and 6" elsewhere. Although, since my room is not a rectangle I'm doing 2'x4'x9" at the first reflection points and a 6'x4'x9" cloud.

Unlike OC 703, Roxul SnS does not need an air gap.

If making your cloud out of Roxul SnS, the bottom needs to be layered with polyester batting. I decided to save a few $ and use a thinner cotton batting, but the cotton batting did not hide some of the clumps (from filling in the voids caused by the wooden frame) as the polyester would have.

Most importantly....when you order the Roxul, go to the commercial sales desk to order it! Don't order it online or with a regular cashier. The first time I ordered the SnS, it arrived 29 days later. The second time, it arrived in 14 days. The third time I ordered it, the SnS arrived in 5 days like it was supposed to have done the previous two times.

I should have some comparative graphs in this thread by Tuesday. Btw, I haven't updated my original post to say that I'm using 9" vs. 6" panels.
Old 5th December 2012
Gear Nut

I've used Safe N' Sound for both absorbers as well as bass traps. The absorbers are single panel and the bass traps are double panel. As far as I can tell (I've not done a proper room frequency test) my setup seems to work fairly well. I've not built a cloud yet but it will be the same thickness as the panels (one Safe N' Sound panel thick, 3") but I've gotten a MUCH better response than I had before. Mine are covered with porous fabric and burlap. My panels are slightly larger than the Roxul panels (to accommodate the panels along the outside) and the panels and bass traps are the same dimensions except for the depth (bass traps are twice the thickness).
Old 5th December 2012
Gear Nut

BTW, I made 4 wall panels and 2 bass traps with one, 8-piece Roxul package. One piece per panel and 2 pieces per bass trap.
Old 6th December 2012
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcblues View Post
BTW, I made 4 wall panels and 2 bass traps with one, 8-piece Roxul package. One piece per panel and 2 pieces per bass trap.
What size was the package?
Old 21st August 2013
Gear Nut

Sorry I just saw this 8 months later...but to answer your question it's 2'x4' (same dimension as the panels) wide and long times 8 panels at 3" thick. It's a pretty big package it comes in. I bought 2 packages worth. Probably not practical to have it shipped so I picked mine up in-store at my local Lowe's.
Old 26th October 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by avare View Post
Safe N Sound is one of the great bargains for absorbers. A little light at single thickness, and just about perfect at double and triple layering.

Andre
Hes right i just got some and its an amazing difference! I have 9" basstraps and 3" panels! Its wonderful....dont think anymore just doit! Im not a roxul salesman. Im just a cheapskate black muuan lol. Forreal its better pricing for basically what oc 703 does i think the equivalent!.

Sent from my SPH-D710
Old 28th October 2013
Gear Nut

I thought I remembered reading here on GS that Safe N Sound was not a good choice for absorber panels, since it is not as dense as 703, and would only absorb the lower frequencies adequately. Am I wrong about this, or are you guys specifically taking about Safe N Sound as bass traps?
Old 28th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bifftannen View Post
I thought I remembered reading here on GS that Safe N Sound was not a good choice for absorber panels, since it is not as dense as 703, and would only absorb the lower frequencies adequately. Am I wrong about this, or are you guys specifically taking about Safe N Sound as bass traps?
Read post #2. Many profesional studio designers recomemnd that absorber panels be at least 8" thick, using round figures of 2 layers of 4" material. 2 layers of Safe N Sound are ideal for this.

Andre
Old 28th October 2013
Gear Nut

Uh yeah, I read it. However, everyone else responded that they were using 3" panels. Thought I would double-check.
Old 29th October 2013
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyMarine View Post

Here are a few things I've gathered from poking around GS...

Is this true?

But it's better if you do so everyone naturally does, right?
Old 30th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JZ New York View Post
Is this true?

But it's better if you do so everyone naturally does, right?
No. The relationship depends on what you want.

Beer does not need a mixer to taste good.

Andre
Old 10th June 2015
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyMarine View Post
I'll be able to help you out with an answer in a few days. I'm using only Roxul Safe 'n Sound (except I'm using Johns Manville R-30 for the superchucks).

Compared to OC 703/705, Roxul is a different beast and doesn't play by the same rules. Here are a few things I've gathered from poking around GS...

According to a post in 2010(?) Avare stated that Roxul SnS should be at least 9" thick at the first reflections points and 6" elsewhere. Although, since my room is not a rectangle I'm doing 2'x4'x9" at the first reflection points and a 6'x4'x9" cloud.

If making your cloud out of Roxul SnS, the bottom needs to be layered with polyester batting. I decided to save a few $ and use a thinner cotton batting, but the cotton batting did not hide some of the clumps (from filling in the voids caused by the wooden frame) as the polyester would have.

Most importantly....when you order the Roxul, go to the commercial sales desk to order it! Don't order it online or with a regular cashier. The first time I ordered the SnS, it arrived 29 days later. The second time, it arrived in 14 days. The third time I ordered it, the SnS arrived in 5 days like it was supposed to have done the previous two times.

I should have some comparative graphs in this thread by Tuesday. Btw, I haven't updated my original post to say that I'm using 9" vs. 6" panels.
Curious, what would you say is better the John Manville or Roxul. Looking to build some bass traps and absorber panels in the next month, and looking at both of these brands. Any advice would be much appreciated.
Old 10th June 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawaiiR View Post
Curious, what would you say is better the John Manville or Roxul. Looking to build some bass traps and absorber panels in the next month, and looking at both of these brands. Any advice would be much appreciated.
Which is better, Gibson or Fender? Specifics on the application and specific materials being considered.

Andre
Old 28th June 2015
NAM
Here for the gear

Quote:

Andre
Looking at Bob's Gold Standard chart, 3" of SnS is about equivelant to 2" of OC 703. So single layer should be fine if the application is for acoustic panels at reflection points. But not good enough to use as a bass absorber at a single layer alone.

I am new to all this, so I was wondering if I am reading the chart correctly. In the past I have bought OC 703 to make bass absorbers, but now I want to ad reflection points for comb filtering. So I was planning on picking up some SnS from Lowes to cut cost and save on shipping.

here is the chart I am referring to if anyone in this thread is interested in seeing test results for varying materials.

http://www.bobgolds.com/AbsorptionCoefficients.htm
Old 29th June 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAM View Post
Looking at Bob's Gold Standard chart, 3" of SnS is about equivelant to 2" of OC 703. So single layer should be fine if the application is for acoustic panels at reflection points. But not good enough to use as a bass absorber at a single layer alone.

I am new to all this, so I was wondering if I am reading the chart correctly. In the past I have bought OC 703 to make bass absorbers, but now I want to ad reflection points for comb filtering. So I was planning on picking up some SnS from Lowes to cut cost and save on shipping.

here is the chart I am referring to if anyone in this thread is interested in seeing test results for varying materials.

http://www.bobgolds.com/AbsorptionCoefficients.htm
Full range absorbers are recommended to be at least 8" thick. 2 layers of SNS is close enough. One 4" layer of 703 with a 4" gap (acoustically about the best use of 703 in that absorber thickness) will be 2 to 3 times more expensive.

Enjoy the savings!

Economically acoustically correct,
Andre

Last edited by avare; 29th June 2015 at 03:28 PM..
Old 29th June 2015
NAM
Here for the gear

Quote:
Full range absorbers are recommended to be at least 8" thick. 2 layers of SNS is close enough. One 4" layer of 703 with a 4" gap (acoustically about the best use of 703 in that absorber thickness) will be 2 to 3 times more expensive.

Enjoy the savings!

Economically acoustically correct,
Andre
Thanks for the input Avare, your experience is much appreciated!
Old 31st July 2019
Here for the gear

Found a local dealer that sells Roxul SAFE (not SAFE'n'SOUND) for a really good price for the 24x48x4 size. On Bob's Gold Standard chart these things rate 1.03 at 125hz & up from there thru the frequency spectrum.
I have a smaller room (9x11), ant thoughts on these possibly absorbing too much as reflection panels?? Is absorbing too much a thing? lol
Old 7th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bvales View Post
Found a local dealer that sells Roxul SAFE (not SAFE'n'SOUND) for a really good price for the 24x48x4 size. On Bob's Gold Standard chart these things rate 1.03 at 125hz & up from there thru the frequency spectrum.
I have a smaller room (9x11), ant thoughts on these possibly absorbing too much as reflection panels?? Is absorbing too much a thing? lol
Your question makes no sense. People have problems because they do not have enough absorption at low frequencies. Where have heard of problems due to too much low end absorption? Hint: you have read many threads where people have built full range absorbers in corners thinking they are bass traps and have too much mid-range and high end absorption.
Old 17th August 2019
SRS
Lives for gear

Old thread I know, but still relevant. I am a firm believer in using whatever product necessary to get your result. There is a sh&%t-ton of Safe n Sound in my Control Room, and it performs Very Very well.
Attached Thumbnails
How doesRoxul Safe n Sound perform?-img_2820.jpg  

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search