The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Can Wooden Pallets Be Used As Diffusers?
Old 5th November 2012
Here for the gear

Can Wooden Pallets Be Used As Diffusers?

Maybe this has been covered before, but can mounting wooden pallets on walls in order to break up the sound waves in a room? What I'm thinking is this: Mount one pallet with the boards pointing vertical on one, horizontal on the next one or below, and do the opposite on the parallel wall. Another idea I'm thinking that could work with wooden pallets is building bass traps in the corners using the same idea but using absorption material inside the pallets and rock wool or burlap tightly stapled around it. Of course, it can be easily achieved to nail them to the walls in a diamond fashion on a few so that some of the boards on the pallet can be in a diagonal direction as well. With concrete walls behind them and using pallets to build bass traps as well, it seems like this could work.

Ok, so hopefully that makes sense. The reason I'm asking is that if that would work to serve the same purpose, I have access to as many pallets needed/wanted to mount on every wall in the basement studio.

Thanks!

http://www.jppallets.com.au/wp-conte...et-3736911.jpg
Old 5th November 2012
Lives for gear
I'd recommend disassembling the pallets and using the wood to build QRDs or skylines.
Old 5th November 2012
Here for the gear

Ok, I will look into that. Thanks!
Old 11th November 2012
Here for the gear

So here is my next question: I've seen how the wonderfully built Studio C at Blackbird studios has mostly Skyline diffusers installed(more than apparent by the eyes) along with bass traps in the corners. I'm guessing that I can get by with building skyline diffusers in that fashion and achieve the same results. I mean, of course you may state, "If that's how you want to do it, more power to you," but as I have been reading, Skyline Diffusers break up frequencies from around 1khz and up. With QRD's, it breaks up frequencies at a considerably wider range. What I originally thought would be ideal is to build both to treat the room much more effectively. However, while thinking about it, it seems like it would be a less time consuming(not that it isn't worth the time to build the kind of diffusers as needed), the waffle-style diffusers seem to be an easier problem solver, and then perhaps build Skyline Diffusers on the front and back walls. And then of course bass trappings and so on.
Old 11th November 2012
Lives for gear

the frequency(s) affected by any QRD or PRD type diffusor is related to overall depth and width.
If you're interested in building your own diffusor of this type, check out QRDude and accompanying write-ups.
QRDude: Quadratic Residue Diffuser calculator
Old 11th November 2012
Here for the gear

Thank you, AwwDeOhh, this is a great find!
Old 11th November 2012
Lives for gear

Ditto. Just make some real diffusers. Anything else will look really corny on the walls n won't be nearly as effective. I just built 4 for my new studio. Can post pics if interested..

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G
Old 21st November 2012
Here for the gear

I just picked up a load of pallets a few hours ago, so the next thing is to figure out the best way to go about using them to build diffusers. I've been reading up and watching videos regarding dimensions and placement which makes me realize that it should be just as easy to build the bass traps, and maybe even a few Skyline diffusers as well...that's for another day. Another idea I've come to realize is that diffusion can be easily built on the ceiling as well since it's only studs and hardwood floor above. It looks promising from here. Thanks guys!
Old 22nd July 2019
Gear Maniac

pallets can be quite effective in a large space and for the money? a great choice, they come in all shapes and sizes and can be stuffed with anything, throw some stain on them after their situated to your liking and you've whipped some tail... cheap
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search