The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Room and Rack Construction Software
Old 12th July 2006
Gear Maniac

Room and Rack Construction Software

Hey guys! is there any programs out there that I can map out a control room spec (i.e. physical things in the room) and possibly one that lets you construct a rack (i.e. kind of like how reason has their virtual rack you can put together) Thanks!
Old 13th July 2006
Gear Nut

SketchUp (http://sketchup.google.com/) now owned by Google, and have a free version seems to be a popular CAD/3D tool at the John Salyers studio construction forum. However, be prepared to spend some time getting used to 3D modelling (although it is very easy compared to most 3D animation software), and measuring things out obsessively.

As for 'sketching' a rack, I'm not sure what you want to do. I don't think there is a library of popular rack unit face-plates, but again you can sorta plan it by measuring everything out, and marking things. FYI, a starting point is to have a box with 19" width internally, and figure 1.75" per 1 rack unit (1U).

However, at the end of the day, if you're just trying to sketch ideas instead of making a useful 'laymans blueprint', I think paper, pencil and some imagination will do wonders. Good luck! thumbsup
Old 13th July 2006
Gear Addict

Stardraw is a cool program. It's meant for sketching out the PA systems and such, but they also have racks and outboard gear u can put in it. They might have a freeware version, but I remember it crashing a lot. Used it in school on new computers (PCs) but it crashed all the time cuz I think it was a demo version or something. Check it out tho.
Old 13th July 2006
Lives for gear

Sketchup rocksthumbsup I used it for my room design and a custom rack I made.
Old 13th July 2006
Gear Addict

Smile

Please, give us some pictures would like to know how you did it.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search