The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Possible to build a nice studio w/apartment, close to NYC for around $1-1.5m?
Old 6th July 2006
Lives for gear

Question Possible to build a nice studio w/apartment, close to NYC for around $1-1.5m?

I'm wondering if this scenario is at all plausible.
Is it possible to build all this for less than $1.5 million...

A nice, high end studio, single room (control room, machine room, and large live room) with a livable loft (1 bedroom, small kitchen, shower). Designed/treated by a group like Russ Berger or something (not sure how expensive something like that is, I'd assume Russ Berger would be costly...any experience with this group or any other suggestions?). Ideally the place should be within an hour of NYC. If that is just not doable because of the cost of property around here, maybe somewhere like the Woodstock area? Any other nice locations reasonably close to NYC/NE NJ?

I know this is probably pushing it, but it would be nice if there were also a guest house on the property for artists to stay in. This is probably too much for this amount of money and if so, forget I even said it.

In terms of a console I'm dreaming of a 64 channel Tonelux with motorized faders. In my estimation it comes out to about $110,000 with 32 EQ's and 16 pre's, not including a desk and some stuff I probably forgot to include, like the selectable buss modules and aux masters.

I don't know what the best way to do this would be, if it's even realistic; would it be cheaper to buy land and build from scratch, or to buy a house and convert it?

Now at this point this is all sort of a dream but it's very possible that it will become a reality in the next 2 years, so I'm just beginning my research on the topic and figured I'd start asking questions here. I've been doing recordings for an indy label who is looking into building a studio and making me head engineer, so I'm trying to look into all the possibilities and see if I can come up with a rough plan for them to follow. I also don't know whats possible and how much things cost, and I'm sure there are things I haven't even thought about. I have no idea how much it costs to have a studio designed and built by a professional group, or what it costs to put in the AC, electrical, and all that.

________

So to rephrase the question, if you had $1.5 million dollars and wanted to build a studio AND have a place to live either in or near the studio, what would you do, and where would it be (in the NE NJ area)?
________

These types of threads have a tendency to be bombarded by sarcastic comments and people who have their finger on the trigger waiting to let someone know how ignorant they are...so I'm asking to please refrain from all that! If I'm obviously ignorant of something, let me know how to fix my ignorance instead of calling me an idiot...

Thanks for your help guys, can't wait for you all to not only burst my bubble up real nice, but stomp it out on the ground like it's on fire.
Old 6th July 2006
Gear Maniac

Don't ask me where I saw the listing. Beats me.

I saw a house on Long Island with a studio for 1.2 million. It was kind of a nice A-framey joint on 2 acres that was built by the craftsman that originally lived there. Two bedrooms, I believe, with an okay-sized living room and kitchen. All the fixtures and such were nicey-nice. The kicker was the underground studio. The listing didn't talk about the design of the rooms, but the control room apparently was large enough to accomodate UREI 813s. Kill me, I can't remember what desk was installed, but it wasn't garbage. The live room was big enough for tracking drums. From the pics, you could even see timpanis on risers. All the gear came with the house.

Buying one that already exists may prove cheaper and easier than building one. They're out there.
Old 6th July 2006
Lives for gear

maybe 2 years ago, a friend of my family had a GORGEOUS private studio in his GORGEOUS house upstate for about 15 years. he recently sold the property including the entire studio minus a few microphones for a little under $2M. three bed, two bath, huge kitchen and living/den area, full basement, the works in a very large house. i had the pleasure of recording a couple tunes there.

from what i understand, with the studio included, he invested about $2.8M in all of the real estate/studio from start to finish, but didn't lose money by selling it off because he had made the money back with the studio.

It can be done.
Old 6th July 2006
Lives for gear

Where do you find listings like this? Do you have to just search normal real estate sites and hope to find one with a studio? lol

If we can find a place thats suitable maybe that would be the best route.

But does anyone know the pricerange for getting a midsize studio professionally treated?

For example, take something like this picture. Now make it small enough so that it would reasonably fit into a good sized house but with the same general quality of design, what kind of money are we looking at, multi-millions, hundreds of thousands? Any ballparks? I know it depends on a lot of factors.
Attached Thumbnails
Possible to build a nice studio w/apartment, close to NYC for around alt=-1.5m?-lg.jpg  
Old 6th July 2006
Gear Maniac

Some of this stuff ends up on craigslist, or at least links to listings. Most of these the places I've seen are sold by regular old real estate agencies.

I'm just imagining here, but these properties may take longer to sell--particularly because the owner isn't thrilled about the cost of tearing out the studio he spent so much to put in. You might be in a good place to negotiate if it's been on the market for long enough.

So long as there aren't too many gearslutz around.
Old 6th July 2006
Gear Maniac

How about this...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Custom-house-rec...QQcmdZViewItem

The key in finding available property such as you seek is Googling with terms such as "residential recording studio property". However, don't use the quotes otherwise it will search for the exact term. The UK seems to have estate agents who specialize in this stuff. I recall finding a listing agent some time ago who only dealt in such properties. Slim way to make a buck.
Old 6th July 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptCrunch

The key in finding available property such as you seek is Googling with terms such as "residential recording studio property". However, don't use the quotes otherwise it will search for the exact term. The UK seems to have estate agents who specialize in this stuff. I recall finding a listing agent some time ago who only dealt in such properties. Slim way to make a buck.

wow...thats just the kind of place I'm looking for, and for about the right price. A little too far down Long Island though, but at least I know I can get what I'm looking for in about the right pricerange...
Thanks for the tips!

Anyone have any thoughts on the cost of professional studio design/treatment?
Old 6th July 2006
Gear Maniac

Hah. That's the place I was talking about.
Old 6th July 2006
Lives for gear

Too bad you don't want to live in London.

This place in Hampstead, just for the freehold (land), would be a great deal.

MJQ - Hampstead

R.
Old 6th July 2006
More cowbell!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poopants
Anyone have any thoughts on the cost of professional studio design/treatment?

yeah, RBDG...cost=phone call
Old 6th July 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptCrunch

Damn...

I want to live there...
Old 6th July 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poopants
But does anyone know the pricerange for getting a midsize studio professionally treated?
Call Chris Pelonis or Russ Berger. Last I checked it was $200 - $400 per square foot from these guys. That's a broad range but you could start budgeting with that.
Old 6th July 2006
Lives for gear

What if you got an old movie theater in a funky area of say Yonker , New Rochelle or Jersey, or possibly an old factory or warehouse in an industrial park.

I went to an antique store in Yonkers that was an ex-movie house in a semi-funky part of town. I can't imagine that the building was worth more than $600k.

And, who needs a Berger or Storyk designed control room anyway? Many of the great control rooms in NYC are just those old school "booths". Avatar "A", Sear Sound "A" & "C", NOLA, not to mention the old RCA studios.

Spend the bread you save on instruments and gear.
Old 6th July 2006
One with big hooves

The real estate market in the metro NY area is just insane right now.

Property values have almost doubled in the last five years & taxes are through the roof...not to mention the other 'cost of living & breathing' expenses which are ludicrious in their own right!

Having said that...I'd buy someone elses 'mistake' before I built a room from scratch.

There's a really nice studio & house in northern NJ for sale. Huge live room & two big iso's (there's a grand piano in one of 'em), pretty solid control room, apartment above the studio & it's detached from the house...a few hundred feet off the back and the whole shebang is on I think 6 or 7...maybe 8 acres of 'farmland' (kinda not really! LOL) in NJ, about an hour from NY.

If you send a PM this I'll pass the owners contact info to you. I don't want to post it because he's still running the studio day after day & he's a good cat.
Old 6th July 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Kahrs
The real estate market in the metro NY area is just insane right now.

Property values have almost doubled in the last five years & taxes are through the roof...not to mention the other 'cost of living & breathing' expenses which are ludicrious in their own right!

Having said that...I'd buy someone elses 'mistake' before I built a room from scratch.

There's a really nice studio & house in northern NJ for sale. Huge live room & two big iso's (there's a grand piano in one of 'em), pretty solid control room, apartment above the studio & it's detached from the house...a few hundred feet off the back and the whole shebang is on I think 6 or 7...maybe 8 acres of 'farmland' (kinda not really! LOL) in NJ, about an hour from NY.

If you send a PM this I'll pass the owners contact info to you. I don't want to post it because he's still running the studio day after day & he's a good cat.

Is this the one in Morris County? Because I found one there last night - not too many details about it, but I LIVE in Morris County...couldn't be a better location...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search